64-bit iLife '11 said to arrive in August with a 'mystery' application

Comments

• Reply 61 of 177
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Perhaps...

A Finance App...again, would fit the 'iLife' concept and from what I've read the QuickBooks Mac version always lags behind the Windows version, much like Office.

Or an App the consolidates all Travel sites, from ideas, rental cars, plane tickets, cruises, and hotels. Now that would help my iLife. I would love to see Apple's take on that.

Or finally group, Mail, Calendar, notes into one App like Outlook. That would really help. I've always found opening 3 apps somewhat inconvenient and not very Apple-like. This is one area where MS has Apple beat.

Numbers 1 is an iWork item, not iLife. Number 2, the internet would probably be more helpful. If anything, a MobileMe web app would fill that slot. Number 3 would be an OS update.
  • Reply 62 of 177
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

A Finance App...

I would really like that. Home budgeting, something like that...
  • Reply 63 of 177
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...including a new "mystery" addition

iApp 11

a place where you can hold all your iTunes applications and play them back in your computer, similar to what you do with iPad, difference is you interact with them with your mouse and not your fingers. How cool is that?
  • Reply 64 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarges View Post

iApp 11

a place where you can hold all your iTunes applications and play them back in your computer, similar to what you do with iPad, difference is you interact with them with your mouse and not your fingers. How cool is that?

Not very cool at all.
  • Reply 65 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would really like that. Home budgeting, something like that...

I don't think they'd create their own from scratch though... Apple would (IMO) be more likely to secretly buy Igg Software and rebadge iBank (or some other brand).
  • Reply 66 of 177
    tjstjs Posts: 31member
    "...French Apple website Mac4Ever (via Google Translate) reported last week that iLife '11 will launch soon, on Saturday, August 7..."

Apple doesn't release anything on a Saturday. Tuesdays are Apple's usual day or software releases, aren't they?

Tim
  • Reply 67 of 177
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    This is nice but I'm waiting on a new release of iWork before I buy a new Mac. Any rumors on that?
  • Reply 68 of 177
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Painting app? Nah, that's so last century. Seperate iBooks/Facetime app? Nah, that will just get rolled into existing apps as and when it is made available.

I call this rumour duff. Mystery app my arse. What's missing from iLife? Nothing, really (when you compare it to it's aims, i.e. to be genuinely useful to most purchasers of a new Mac), it covers pictures, video and music, what else is there in that sort of category?

Now, if we were talking iWork I could see it. Roll Bento into the fold and that would work. But iLife? The only thing I see that they could do is something with Mobile Me, as to what I can't imagine as it's a service, not some software. Perhaps they could tighten the integration of the existing apps to MobileMe and have webapps/iphone apps etc for iPhoto and such that can be accessed from other than the Mac they are stored on?
  • Reply 69 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

This is nice but I'm waiting on a new release of iWork before I buy a new Mac. Any rumors on that?

Why would you wait on iWork to buy a new Mac? It won't come with iWork anyway. Your'e going to have to buy it seperately.
  • Reply 70 of 177
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,iExtra, iExtra, iExtra,

you know iTunes Extra for the movie? DVD menu without the DVD for home movie.

That's what I think is the new mystery iLife App.

exportable to iPad, iPhone and Apple TV.

And Support of the full HD for our personnal HD movie made from iMovie.
  • Reply 71 of 177
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Fill in the blanks:

iLife = Photos, Movies, Music, Web, ______

iPhoto: Manage your life photos, make book albums, cards, calendars, slideshows.

iMovie: Create home movies easily and share them on dvds or youtube.

Garageband: Create your music, learn how to play piano or guitar, add music to your iMovie.

iWeb: Gather all your content, publish on the web for all to see.

Mystery app: ______?

What do all apps have in common? How do apps benefit and integrate with each other? It has to be something simple and useful. It must not be something that can be included in the System OS (iChat). It must something that some OSX users do not have to require(Garageband vs. Logic Pro). Finally, it must something that already exist (as a pro app) that normal people would like to use. That would be the mystery app.

An animation application fits this...
  • Reply 72 of 177
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, there's always Elegato's eyetv HD (and their OTA tuners) + eyetv software for that.

Which I have, use and love. But as Apple moves in on the living room space it might make strategic sense to entice people to introduce people to these services (and then spend money on Apple products for the Living Room) by offering that functionality on the office / family Macs. That is if Apple has its sights set on the living room, of course.
  • Reply 73 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

An animation application fits this...

Again.. what would the average consumer need/want/use an animation app for?

The average consumer already uses photos, videos, music, etc... all the things currently considered in iLife. An animation application fits in the category of iOS App creator and iPaint...

Who would use it, for what, and why?
  • Reply 74 of 177
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

So, my thoughts on the new app in descending order of likelihood.

1) iBooks

2) iPaint -

3) FaceTime

1 and 3 are not likely because they don't tie into iLife in any way. Ibooks would be a separate app and facetime is really just an update to iChat.

ipaint however, I could buy that. Along with perhaps more editing functions for iphoto.

Also, i'm not really sure that I buy the notion of a 64 bit ilife. That step seems to Pro for me and would likely come after the Pro apps are there.

Refined Faces and Places and editing sure, the iPaint notion sure, dropping iDVD perhaps (although I could see them leaving it as is and only bug fixing it from now on). iWeb with HTML5 options I think is highly likely, along with perhaps some improvements on the template features and the MobileMe side of the equation. perhaps to offset Bloggers popularity (which I use due to the whole labels and template flexibility).

Make iMovie more like Final Cut Express in terms of feature set and drop the latter I could buy. Same with Garageband and Logic Express.

It's the Pro Apps where I think we'll find the really big stuff. Go 64 bit. Change DVD Studio Pro to more of a Media Studio Pro with support for their LP, Extras etc. Add back in some of, if not all, the Shake stuff. Really integrate the UIs in the suites and between them and Aperture. This along side new Pro towers and an updated iMac set with some Pro options on those high end models and they could have something going to break the whole "Apple is killing the Mac" rants
  • Reply 75 of 177
    bonchbonch Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, the only reason I mention Hypercard 4.0 is that, out of the blue, John Gruber had a bit on Hypercard 3.0 (which never shipped) on Daring Fireball the other day.

That was after the release of MacPaint's source code when people were discussing Bill Atkinson's work at Apple.
  • Reply 76 of 177
    MY THEORY: The new iMac's due out shortly will have built in tuner cards and so the new iLife app will be an equivalent of Elgato's eyeTV. This will integrate seamlessly with iMovie and iTunes. (...maybe)
  • Reply 77 of 177
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonch View Post

That was after the release of MacPaint's source code when people were discussing Bill Atkinson's work at Apple.

Ah, good point.
  • Reply 78 of 177
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    @tonyweston

That will be nice , very nice
  • Reply 79 of 177
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonr94102 View Post

Why would you wait on iWork to buy a new Mac? It won't come with iWork anyway. Your'e going to have to buy it seperately.

You get a discount when you buy it with a Mac. I'd like that discount. I'm not in a hurry to get a Mac so I'll wait till the end of the year or longer.
  • Reply 80 of 177
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonr94102 View Post

Again.. what would the average consumer need/want/use an animation app for?

The average consumer already uses photos, videos, music, etc... all the things currently considered in iLife. An animation application fits in the category of iOS App creator and iPaint...

Who would use it, for what, and why?

Think outside of the box... Before iDVD, why did average consumers need a DVD authoring application for??

Apple sets trends. It makes sense. This nonsense of an iPhone App creator or personal financial apps, have nothing to do with makes iLife, iLife.

As an example, but the ability to easily and simply put your photos on stick people and them export them to the iWeb, iMovie, or YouTube seems fun... Set your own music tracks to them, and its something new. Something that hasn't been tried before... An animation app would have simple painting/drawing capabilities as well...

If there is a new app, it will be in the spirit of user content generation.

But that is just my two cents...