The Free Speech Thread

Comments

• tontontonton Posts: 14,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

What murder isn't done out of hate?

Crimes of passion aren't hate. Infanticide isn't hate. Euthanasia isn't hate. Crimes of greed or self-defense aren't hate. Crimes of psychosis aren't hate.

This crime seems to fall into the last category, according to what we know about the case.
  • jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Crimes of passion aren't hate. Infanticide isn't hate. Euthanasia isn't hate. Crimes of greed or self-defense aren't hate. Crimes of psychosis aren't hate.

This crime seems to fall into the last category, according to what we know about the case.

I'm talking specifically about murder.
  • hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:

I heard about this ruling briefly on the radio in the UK. The Brits were were saying our judicial system would make it far harder for a ruling like this to happen.

Anyway, interesting topic. I'm still on a very sloooooooow internet connection, so any links that better describe the impacts of the ruling would be appreciated.
  • mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    The following is a speech given by Michael Boldin of the Tenth Amendment Center on 09-04-10 in Fort Worth, Texas:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
  • jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    The hypocrisy on the left is obvious:

What If This Were Bush?

Quote:

It goes without saying that if Bush had presided over a phony end to the Iraq war, expanded the Afghanistan war, extended its reach into Pakistan, solidified the state secrets doctrine and claimed in no uncertain terms the right to assassinate American citizens without due process, the left would be up in arms. The partisan hypocrisy concerning war-related issues is clear.

Smaller government and yet i believe in universal governmentt healthcare...it seems contradictory but on many levels it's not.

On the level of giving people universal healthcare gov can. Like say the UK. Propping up a system designed for only the weathy ( around 60% of the total hc spending in the US is through the gov and comes to much more than is spent here not just in dollars but real terms) is happening. The expenses of long pay checks making sure the insurance companies don't pay any more than they have to and the salaries to keep those sado's from migrating jobs and plenty of other bs cost tge gov billions. Save You Fucking Betcha. There are savings. The US has much good about it's promoting of private enterprise in it's many branches of hc and that should be respected and continued. Making changes doesxnot have to mean sacrificing that. Sadly the dems were a short on votes and will to cut these mega costs.

To death panelists, today i visited some very Conservative good friends. He had run as a Tory MP many years ago. She was upset that his father that had gone into hospital two days ago because of a severe stroke (his first) had had another one and the doctors were doing whatever they could to keep him alive. He's 90 and feels angry that their keeping him going.
    Cut waste, would any TeaBaggers go this this far?

Typing would be much quicker if there were half or more less letters to choose between for many people. Which letters then should we drop?

I propose dropping the following letters-

C- lot like K

F- mostly used for sware words, anyway

G- Sounds horrible in most words

H- Too silent to be truly usefull

O- too close to A, especially for those with American accents

P- too close to B

Q- used almost solely to refer to the Queen

R- Usefull, but not essential

S- Other than plurals is almost completly useless

T- Very close to V and currently used way too often. Eliminating this letter alone will save huge amounts of time

U- Too easy to muddle with V

W- A complete and utter waste, basically it's two V's combined

X- irrelevant except for adult ratings, must go

Y- Often added to the end of words to make them sound cuter, again a waste of time

Z- Used for the word Zoo 99 times out of a hundred and a description for sleeping, retarded to have to type it.

That's 15 out of 26!
  • wormholewormhole Posts: 864member
    Quote:

The hypocrisy on the left is obvious:

What If This Were Bush?

Quote:

It goes without saying that if Bush had presided over a phony end to the Iraq war, expanded the Afghanistan war, extended its reach into Pakistan, solidified the state secrets doctrine and claimed in no uncertain terms the right to assassinate American citizens without due process, the left would be up in arms. The partisan hypocrisy concerning war-related issues is clear.

What would the right say if Obama starts a phony war that costs 3 trillion.
    Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak

Funnest post ever!
  • camp davidcamp david Posts: 692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

What would the right say if Obama starts a phony war that costs 3 trillion.

I believe Obama's War against Small Business will cost far more than you cite...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

I believe Obama's War against Small Business will cost far more than you cite...

Really?
  • wormholewormhole Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

My small businesses have all shown gains in the last 18 month. Is that what you mean with "war" against small businesses? It has become hard for me to spend all the money we are making. I put in a 45 foot lap pool with it's own 4.2 KW solar power system and I still need to scramble for expenses.
  • mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Hey, look, the US might not be the open-borders, free-trading bastion of lassiez faire capitalism that some assume after all:

The U.S. Has More than 12,000 Tariffs:

Quote:

Most Americans think of the U.S. as a free-trade country with open markets, and countries like China and Japan as protectionist countries with closed markets. And yet the U.S. is quite protectionist, when we consider that there are more than 12,000 tariffs (i.e. taxes) on imported products that are sometimes as high as 350% in the case of tobacco (pictured above); 164% on peanuts; 100% on jam, chocolate and ham; and 48% on sneakers, see the 25 American Products That Rely On Huge Protective Tariffs To Survive, and read a short accompanying article.

• finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Federal Marijuana Law

The federal government regulates drugs through the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) (21 U.S.C. § 811), which does not recognize the difference between medical and recreational use of marijuana. These laws are generally applied only against persons who possess, cultivate, or distribute large quantities of marijuana.

Under federal law, marijuana is treated like every other controlled substance, such as cocaine and heroin. The federal government places every controlled substance in a schedule, in principle according to its relative potential for abuse and medicinal value. Under the CSA, marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug, which means that the federal government views marijuana as highly addictive and having no medical value. Doctors may not "prescribe" marijuana for medical use under federal law, though they can "recommend" its use under the First Amendment.

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), charged with enforcing federal drug laws, has taken a substantial interest in medical marijuana patients and caregivers in general, and large cultivation and distribution operations more specifically. Over the past few years, dozens of people have been targets of federal enforcement actions. Many of them have either been arrested or had property seized. More than a hundred are currently in prison or are facing charges or ongoing criminal or civil investigations for their cultivation or distribution of medical marijuana.

California Proposition 19--Legalization of Marijuana

Quote:

Allows people 21 years old or older to possess, cultivate, or transport marijuana for personal use. Permits local governments to regulate and tax commercial production and sale of marijuana to people 21 years old or older. Prohibits people from possessing marijuana on school grounds, using it in public, smoking it while minors are present, or providing it to anyone under 21 years old. Maintains current prohibitions against driving while impaired. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local governments: Savings of up to several tens of millions of dollars annually to state and local governments on the costs of incarcerating and supervising certain marijuana offenders. Unknown but potentially major tax, fee, and benefit assessment revenues to state and local government related to the production and sale of marijuana products. (09-0024.)

http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk...-legalize-pot/

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.ph...itiative_(2010)

If it passes will there be a fight between the Feds and California---State rights issue?
  • trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BR View Post

Remind you of anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83tnW...eature=related

Colbert owes some big royalties.