Apple discontinues 24, 30-inch Cinema Displays for 27-inch model

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's new 27-inch Cinema Display will mark the end of the 24- and 30-inch models once supplies run out, leaving the company with just one standalone monitor offering.

David Moody, vice president of hardware marketing, confirmed to Macworld that Apple will sell the 24-inch and 30-inch Cinema Displays only while supplies last. After that, the 27-inch screen will be the only option for customers.

Announced on Tuesday, the new 27-inch LED Cinema Display will begin shipping from Apple in September. It sports a 2,560-by-1,440 pixel resolution with 60 percent more screen real estate than the company's 24-inch LED display. It costs $999 and features a built-in iSight video camera, microphone and speakers, powered USB 2.0 hub, and universal MagSafe connector.

The display also features a new ambient light sensor which automatically adjusts the display brightness based on external lighting conditions. With this, the hardware only uses as much energy as necessary to provide an optimum viewing experience.

The 16:9 display also features edge-to-edge glass on its front, and sits on an aluminum stand that makes tilting easy. It also uses in-plane switching, the same technology found in the iPad and iPhone 4 LCD displays, which allow a viewing angle of up to 178 degrees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new 27-inch Cinema Display will mark the end of the 24- and 30-inch models once supplies run out, leaving the company with just one standalone monitor offering.

Nobody needs the 30 inch. This makes a lot of sense. They will make more money by having fewer SKUs. And besides, the desktop is dead.
  • Reply 2 of 101
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

Nobody needs the 30 inch. This makes a lot of sense. They will make more money by having fewer SKUs. And besides, the desktop is dead.

I bet you are wrong on all counts.

I love my 30" and I am sure they will release another 30+ monitor in due course. Desktop is alive and well for business and academic environments which all I care about anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 101
    Quote:

The desktop isn't quite dead yet. Some people need lots of screen real estate. Even a 17" laptop doesn't satisfy most photo and video editors, as far as screen size.
  • Reply 4 of 101
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:

What you seem to be missing is that the desktop is not dead for professionals. That's who would want these monitors. How many people are supplementing their iMac with one? Few. However, users of Mac Pro systems will be buying these. Those are professionals that need lots of work space and often multiple monitors.

Honestly, I lament the push-out of the 16x10 aspect ratio. I would think video professionals would rather work with a 16x10 monitor to get the video as large as possible and have more room for a ribbon of tools/timeline on the bottom.
  • Reply 5 of 101
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I hope Apple will release a 33" 133dpi 3840x2160 Cinema Display. The new Mac Pro is already powerful enough to drive it.
  • Reply 6 of 101
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I bet you are wrong on all counts.

I love my 30" and I am sure they will release another 30+ monitor in due course. Desktop is alive and well for business and academic environments which all I care about anyway.

I agree that the desktop isn't dead, especially in academic offices/computer labs, and creative/design offices. But honestly, aside from power users in graphic design firms and the like, the only Mac desktops I see are iMacs. I think the non- power users mostly choose the all in one form factor.

However, I still think that Apple should offer a smaller size. For a small home office or dorm room, 27 inches can be too overwhelming. I think offering something in the neighborhood of 20-23 inches would be a good seller for those who have small work spaces or a tight budget but still want Macs.
  • Reply 7 of 101
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

The desktop is not dead. In manufacturing, no one uses notebooks for daily work. Desktops are all around. In the plant, office, and shop. I consider an iMac a desktop.

As far as what someone needs or doesn't need, that was a loaded statement from the start.
  • Reply 8 of 101
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

However, I still think that Apple should offer a smaller size. For a small home office or dorm room, 27 inches can be too overwhelming. I think offering something in the neighborhood of 20-23 inches would be a good seller for those who have small work spaces or a tight budget but still want Macs.

The 21 inch iMac is perfect for that, or even better, a 17 inch MBP.

Anybody who needs a bigger monitor will be very happy with the new 27 inch huge monitor.
  • Reply 9 of 101
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Sorry, but in this you really got it totally upside down. I guess apple just needs a little more time with the 30++ monitor. For many many applications size is what counts. with my 24'' monitors I am running out of space all the time. I am absolutely shure that there will be a bigger monitor to come.
  • Reply 10 of 101
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    These monitors are really intended for the MBP (just look at the cord). They probably feel it has to be significantly bigger than the built-in screens to be worth buying. I don't think they really offer a monitor for the Mac Pro any more, probably assume that such people will need true Pro monitors such as Eizo.
  • Reply 11 of 101
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

The desktop is not dead. In manufacturing, no one uses notebooks for daily work. Desktops are all around. In the plant, office, and shop. I consider an iMac a desktop.

As far as what someone needs or doesn't need, that was a loaded statement from the start.

That may be true where you work but not for me. Laptops have become powerful enough that in many use cases they can replace desktop machines in an office environment. Our IT department doesn't even order desktop boxes anymore unless someone provides a good cause for one. Now everyone has their laptop connected to an external monitor/keyboard. This setup lets them be mobile and (here's the key) work from home if a situation arises. That becomes a little harder to do with desktops.

Granted you are always going to have the need for a sever style box somewhere in the workplace, but for the most people are choosing to become more mobile.

--Dave
  • Reply 12 of 101
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Ugh. As if the entry price for an Apple-branded monitor wasn't bad enough at $799, it's now $999?! I don't understand why they wouldn't keep the 24" around and lower the price.
  • Reply 13 of 101
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

Nobody needs the 30 inch. ... And besides, the desktop is dead.

Speak for yourself. Some of us do a lot more than just cruise the web and watch movies. There is also the 16:10 vs. 16:9 argument.

Also, the desktop is not dead in the sense that no one wants a desktop computer anymore. It's "dead" in the sense that it's no longer the main, growing segment and will *eventually* fade away many years from now.

If you try to respond without using buzz-words and absolutes, and the content and relevance of your statements will rise substantially.
  • Reply 14 of 101
    t0mat0t0mat0 Posts: 58member
    Wouldn't mind one of these attached to a new ATV next year. Have a feeling that the v2 will have much better ports on it though Decent price - wonder what monitor will align with it well seeing as it's different dimensions to the 30 and 24 inch screen.
  • Reply 15 of 101
    herbie49herbie49 Posts: 14member
    30' makes a lot of sense for video and photo editing. I hope we haven't to wait for too long for a 30' LED Cinema Display.
  • Reply 16 of 101
    I've always thought the 30" was to large for work, good for previewing samples with clients, but you can get lost easy.

The 27" imac is almost in this region for me, I don't know why but I still prefer 2-3 23" thus I have not upgraded.

I would think there should be a 24" on the low end still.
  • Reply 17 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Herbie49 View Post

30' makes a lot of sense for video and photo editing. I hope we haven't to wait for too long for a 30' LED Cinema Display.

I want to do video editing on a jumbotron. 30m even better.
  • Reply 18 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RaVeN Chaos View Post

I've always thought the 30" was to large for work, good for previewing samples with clients, but you can get lost easy.

The 27" imac is almost in this region for me, I don't know why but I still prefer 2-3 23" thus I have not upgraded.

I would think there should be a 24" on the low end still.

One thing that makes the 30 a little problematic for design is that 100% view is actually a bit smaller than actual 1:1. Takes some getting used to.
  • Reply 19 of 101
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:

The 21 inch iMac is perfect for that, or even better, a 17 inch MBP.

Anybody who needs a bigger monitor will be very happy with the new 27 inch huge monitor.

I can only speak for myself, and while a 27 incher would be a beautiful piece of equipment to own and showoff to friends (and even watch movies on), I would be one who would likely opt for a 22". My home office is small, and I'm not a designer, so I could easily live with a smaller screen to save money, and eye/neck strain. Of course this is coming from someone who prefers a 13 inch MacBook Pro over a 15 or 17 inch. I just enjoy the smaller form factor and find 13 inches the perfect size for me

Now if we discuss this in terms of the living room, then bigger is always better. Bring on the 42" Cinema Display
  • Reply 20 of 101
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Seems to me that their previous monitor was the same screen used in the old 24" iMac. Now that that Mac is well out of production they have transitioned to a 27" screen matching the new iMac screen size.

I suspect that they realized during the design stage that 27" is nearly as big as the 30" and almost interchangable (I notice this too with a 30" Cinema Display here at work and an iMac 27" at home).

I suspect that the business end of consolidating all the displays into a single unit was too compelling to pass up: 24" was a small volume item from suppliers once the 24" iMac was put out to pasture and the 30" ACD is a legacy design built on legacy tech that has been begging for modernization for a long time.

I suspect that a larger display is under development and perhaps might share an LCD platform with the rumored 'real' AppleTV. Maybe a 37" LCD? That would be big enough for a modest HDTV and a big step up in desktop display capability while allowing Apple to reap economy of scale with their LCD suppliers.