Best Buy rumored to give out free iPhone 4 antenna covers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Electronics retailer Best Buy is rumored to offer free antenna covers for any iPhone 4 owner, with a simple strip that would cover the exterior metal band of the handset.

Citing a number of anonymous sources who confirmed the deal is legitimate, Engadget reported Wednesday that the retailer will give out free invisibleSHIELD 4fix antenna covers, worth about $9.99, to all iPhone 4 owners. That means even those who bought their handset elsewhere, such as direct through Apple or through carrier AT&T, will also be eligible for the promotion.

"Based on a number of tips that we've received, we're getting the impression that the yellow-tagged retailer could be handing out (and installing) completely free side coverings for any iPhone 4 owner that waltzes into a store, presumably as a proactive measure to fend off returns or to upsell consumers on an entire invisibleSHIELD/separate case," author Darren Murph wrote.

The invisibleSHIELD 4fix from Zagg is cut specifically for the sides of the iPhone 4, making it a less bulky option than a complete case for those who want to improve reception on their handset. Promotional materials say that the cover is "independently tested by antenna experts, and proven to enhance reception on the iPhone 4." It also says the material is "military grade" and prevents scratches.

The 4fix is applied in 7 separate pieces that leave space for the volume, vibrate and lock buttons, the SIM card tray, and the port on the bottom of the phone. The accompanying flier says that the promotion for all iPhone 4 owners is limited to one per customer.

Earlier this month, Apple announced that it will give away free cases to every iPhone 4 sold through Sept. 30. Users who download the iPhone 4 Case Program software from the App Store have the choice of a black "bumper" case made by Apple, or a number of third-party alternatives.

The cases are meant to appease customers who are experiencing reception issues with their iPhone 4. The signal on Apple's latest handset can be attenuated by touching the bottom left corner of the device, where the cellular antenna meets the Wi-Fi/GPS/Bluetooth antenna. Bridging the gap between the two metal pieces can result in loss of signal and, in areas of poor reception, dropped calls.

In its defense, Apple has noted that many other phones, including Motorola's latest Droid X, experience signal attenuation when held improperly. It, along with Nokia's N97 and a number of other smartphones, is featured on Apple's official antenna performance page.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    If true, this would show why Best Buy is the only major surviving CE retailer!
  • Reply 2 of 41
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I like this, smart move. Betting people have to goto the back of the store, so lots of opportunities to sell accessories etc. Plus, as friendly as people are there, they will gain a ton of loyal customers.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

... Plus, as friendly as people are there, they will gain a ton of loyal customers.

Are you sure you're thinking of Best Buy? "Friendly" is not how I would describe their sales staff.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Are you sure you're thinking of Best Buy? "Friendly" is not how I would describe their sales staff.

"Nearly nonexistent" would be the phrase I would apply to the Portland, OR area stores.

BTW: Hard to believe they added 3 additional stores within a ten mile radius during this recession. However, it does make for easier shopping as fewer customers per store. Unfortunately, that also means they have less selection and are not very deep for the SKU items they carry in-store.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:

I've gone to Best Buy for years. Yes, I would describe them as friendly, in fact very friendly.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    This whole AntennaGate thing is turning out to be pretty sweet for customers.

Buy your iPhone 4 from Apple, and get a free Case.

Walk into Best Buy, and get the free invisible skins.

Nice.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

I've gone to Best Buy for years. Yes, I would describe them as friendly, in fact very friendly.

Depends on the individual store. The one I used to visit had ordinary assistants, but the folks at the new one I go to are really helpful.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

I would describe their demeanor as friendly; they're totally full of shit, but still friendly.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I would describe their demeanor as friendly; they're totally full of shit, but still friendly.

The one's I've been in they are full of shit and seem to wonder why I am asking them anything; whatever department they are in is never theirs.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JerryMcAlder View Post

Forget Best Buy - invisibleSHIELD is offering Free Shipping on their website. The link below is for appleinsider only and offers the free shipping:

You're a first time poster here.

Best buy gives away the product for free. Zagg, through the link posted in the quoted post, charges for the product but may offer free shipping.

Your referral link is spam and makes you money.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    This appears to be a much more elegant option, if not a complete solution to the antenna issue, though I doubt that it'll do much to thwart the onslaught of resulting backlash from competitors (particularly ones that Apple's been dubiously targeting).

e.g. http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content...droid-x-ad.jpg
  • Reply 12 of 41
    ptfernptfern Posts: 17member
    Just called my local Best Buy. They will only honor this promotion for people who purchased their Iphone through them. That means for the most of us we're out of luck.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Am I living in some sort of bizzaro world where this reflects negatively on Apple and the iPhone? Where it not only seems pathetic that Best Buy would need to consider such measures, but also that this InvisibleShield 4fix exists in the first place?

I mean the implication behind the name of the product is that you've purchased something that needs fixing before you've taken it out of the box...
  • Reply 14 of 41
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Looks like all this company offers is high grade scotch tape.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ptfern View Post

Just called my local Best Buy. They will only honor this promotion for people who purchased their Iphone through them. That means for the most of us we're out of luck.

One would consider this to be 'understood'... No?

It wouldn't make any (business) sense to support devices/products that weren't purchased through their own stores.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    ptfernptfern Posts: 17member
    Check out this video from Invisible Shield showing their fix.

http://www.zagg.com/iphone-4-antenna-fix.php[/URL]
  • Reply 17 of 41
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

"BTW: Hard to believe they added 3 additional stores within a ten mile radius during this recession. However, it does make for easier shopping as fewer customers per store. Unfortunately, that also means they have less selection and are not very deep for the SKU items they carry in-store.

Well, the one in Jantzen Beach is really for Washington residents who are coming across the border to dodge sales tax (done it many times!)
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Smart....Retailers spend millions of dollars getting people to just come in their stores just on the 'if-come' that they buy something while there. Evidence the Target Sunday circular!

Best.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Looks like all this company offers is high grade scotch tape.

I have it on all my phones and it is awesome.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

One would consider this to be 'understood'... No?

It wouldn't make any (business) sense to support devices/products that weren't purchased through their own stores.

Yes, but the AppleInsider article says that even customers who haven't bought the phone at Best Buy, but elsewhere, can get it installed by Best Buy free of charge.

Sounds kind of strange to me that Best Buy would offer it free to people who aren't customers.