Review: Apple's new Magic Trackpad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Is it just me or does anyone else absolutely HATE the new Apple keyboards and their chicklet keys???

Think it's just you. I can do 90 words now without RSI and with an awful lot less noise. Yes, took a little getting used to - but I'd never go back.
  • Reply 62 of 84
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Is it just me or does anyone else absolutely HATE the new Apple keyboards and their chicklet keys???

Yes, initially, but I adjusted pretty quickly.

I'm actually a faster typist by about 5 wpm on the chicklet keys vs. the "standard" keyboards; with the same accuracy.
  • Reply 63 of 84
    Can we be a little objective here? It is a major "con" that this thing can't be used as a input device to finally put the MacOS Inkwell technology into work. It is more than large enough for writing on, or drawing on. It is only Job's bias against styluses and handwriting recognition that is holding Apple back on this. Apple used to be about giving people choices. Now it is about Jobs way, or the highway. That needs to change.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    iharryiharry Posts: 42member
    Today I purchased a Magic Trackpad and rushed home to set it up with my Mac Pro. After 40 minutes on the phone with Apple Support it still does not work. I was finally blown off with a lame explanation that I should keep checking with software update because it doesn't look like the software for the Mac Pro has been released yet. So now I own a Trackpad with no magic, an iPad that cannot connect to half the WiFi spots I try to connect to and an iPhone 4 that cannot make phone calls.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's new Magic Trackpad offers desktop Mac users a multitouch trackpad alternative to the mouse, designed to match its super slim aluminum keyboard.

The Magic Trackpad follows Apple's introduction of the Magic Mouse last year, which was similarly launched alongside a new batch of iMacs. New iMacs continue to ship with a Magic Mouse by default, leaving the new trackpad a $69 accessory (not an upgrade; if you buy one, you still also get a Magic Mouse with your order).

Cons:

You may prefer a mouse to a $69 trackpad.

Only a trackpad, not a digitizer tablet.

Doesn't Work

Where to buy

Amazon ($69.00)

MacMall ($65.99)

B&H Photo ($68.95)

MacConnection ($69.00)

• Reply 65 of 84
    shigzeoshigzeo Posts: 78member
    I guess that I don't see how this is a review; it's got all the parts of a summary and a few editorials, but it doesn't go so far as to review the hardware. I would like to hear how it is to use, what are problems with buttons, with apps, with angle - anything. AI, would be nice to have more next time.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

I guess that I don't see how this is a review; it's got all the parts of a summary and a few editorials, but it doesn't go so far as to review the hardware. I would like to hear how it is to use, what are problems with buttons, with apps, with angle - anything. AI, would be nice to have more next time.

It was written by Daniel Eran Dilger, Mr. "Roughy Drafted" himself. 'nuff said!
  • Reply 67 of 84
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Just you. We all love it.
  • Reply 68 of 84
    shigzeoshigzeo Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Just you. We all love it.

Meanwhile, I'm getting very used to the iPad keyboard's implementation of true flatness. The chicklet keys were a first, very good step, buy I really really like recent changes toward total flatness.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    walneywalney Posts: 70member
  • Reply 70 of 84
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Been wanting this product for a long time. Since before the rumors about it started 2 years ago. Mine arrived yesterday and I have to say, I'm very impressed. It beats even the newest trackpads on Macbooks. Very smooth, large, stable (unlike the magic mouse) and a full library of gestures. Finally, I have expose and application switcher back in my hands!!
  • Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iHarry View Post

Today I purchased a Magic Trackpad and rushed home to set it up with my Mac Pro. After 40 minutes on the phone with Apple Support it still does not work. I was finally blown off with a lame explanation that I should keep checking with software update because it doesn't look like the software for the Mac Pro has been released yet. So now I own a Trackpad with no magic, an iPad that cannot connect to half the WiFi spots I try to connect to and an iPhone 4 that cannot make phone calls.

Sounds like you have absolutely no clue on how to use the products you buy.

Also sounds like someone should take power of attorney over your finances, since you seem incapable of stopping yourself from buying products that don't work.

#1. Magic Trackpad requires nothing special. Download the software. Turn it on. Use it. You'd have to try very hard to screw this up. I couldn't keep a 4 year old from figuring it out within 40 minutes.

#2. The iPad works fine on all WiFi networks. Prior to the update, it didn't do well with 64bit WEP secure networks. Now its fine.

#3. If your phone cannot make phone calls, you need more help than 'technical support' can offer.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

It's not some mystery product that came out of an unheard of company is bangcock.

Its an Apple trackpad. If you've used one, you've used this one.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iHarry View Post

Today I purchased a Magic Trackpad and rushed home to set it up with my Mac Pro. After 40 minutes on the phone with Apple Support it still does not work. I was finally blown off with a lame explanation that I should keep checking with software update because it doesn't look like the software for the Mac Pro has been released yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

#1. Magic Trackpad requires nothing special. Download the software. Turn it on. Use it. You'd have to try very hard to screw this up.

Did you read the original post?

Has the Magic Trackpad Update been released for the Mac Pro yet?
  • Reply 74 of 84
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

This will go the same way as that overpriced web cam Apple made years back. Doomed to fail.

Have you used a Macbook Trackpad?

After switching over to Mac, one of the many good things is indeed the trackpad.

Add BetterTouchTool (or other equivalent) and you have an outstanding tool for gestures and program control etc.

I expect this even larger trackpad to be very successful, once people have 'tried' it - or for those already familiar with the laptop trackpads....

Mind you, I always liked those optical Logitech trackball mice (with the trackball under your thumb)

• Reply 75 of 84
    iharryiharry Posts: 42member
    Just my luck. I have a problem and a dick shows up with a bag full of useless sarcasm. If you have nothing nice to say, STFU!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Sounds like you have absolutely no clue on how to use the products you buy.

Also sounds like someone should take power of attorney over your finances, since you seem incapable of stopping yourself from buying products that don't work.

#1. Magic Trackpad requires nothing special. Download the software. Turn it on. Use it. You'd have to try very hard to screw this up. I couldn't keep a 4 year old from figuring it out within 40 minutes.

#2. The iPad works fine on all WiFi networks. Prior to the update, it didn't do well with 64bit WEP secure networks. Now its fine.

#3. If your phone cannot make phone calls, you need more help than 'technical support' can offer.

• Reply 76 of 84
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Mouse is better than a trackpad isn't it? The only reason to use a trackpad is if you're on the road, and even then some people buy a mouse and keep it in their laptop case. But this seem to be a larger than normal trackpad, maybe that will make all the difference. A desktop computer has a larger screen after all, so why not a larger trackpad.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Hi guys...

Just a quick question......: can anybody tell me the dimensions of the trackpad (as can't find it anywhere, just that it is 80% bigger that Macbook pads...). And the dimensions of the bluetooth keyboard (the newer one without the numerical pad on the right).

Thanks a lot......... (still got the old wired keyboard and wired apple mouse (mighty mouse, I think it was called) and I have been thinking about changing they keyboard, but, now I have seen the v good feedback for the trackpad, I am considering purchasing both at the same time, but need to know if they will fit in the keyboard tray of my computer table (bit small, as I have got keyboard and mouse on 2 different levels..).

Thanks again
  • Reply 78 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvet8b View Post

Hi guys...

Just a quick question......: can anybody tell me the dimensions of the trackpad (as can't find it anywhere, just that it is 80% bigger that Macbook pads...)

Magic Trackpad:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...cxNzI#overview

The size of the Bluetooth keyboard is not listed:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...A2MzY#overview
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Since I am someone that uses Windex on all things that look dirty, I came across this article on cleaning the Magic Trackpad. I thought it was helpful.

They must be addressing me at bullet point number one under what NOT to do.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    I just acquired a new Apple mouse and trackpad, along with the extended keyboard (can't live without a keypad). After using a "mighty mouse" for quite a while (prefer using a basic Logitech mouse), I must say that the new devices are a dramatic improvement.

The mouse with its touch sensitive surface is actually very good (much better than the little trackball on the mighty mouse) and has a nice weight and feel to it. The trackpad is excellent -- the larger size makes it better to use than the laptop equivalents, and I find its position to the side of the keyboard better as it doesn't get in the way when typing.

I'm actually using both the trackpad and mouse at the same time (as in they are both there, connected, and available), one to the left of the keyboard and one to the right. This works very well and is surprisingly natural (and no, I'm not especially ambidextrous). I'm still building muscle memory for this kind of workflow, but I'm already gravitating to the trackpad for light uses and quick movements (its faster to acquire) and grabbing the mouse only when I need to do something more precise or protracted. Sometimes it depends on which hand I'm using on the keyboard.

Even the chiclet keyboard is starting to grow on me, and I'm a pretty fussy typist. I've used and hated chiclet keyboards before, but for some reason this one feels better. I was going to keep my previous old Apple Extended keyboard, but its starting to look like that will go on sale with the old Mac.

I also bought the Apple charger & batteries, and got 8 batteries in the process (2 in trackpad, 2 in mouse, 2 in charger, 2 extra... did I just get lucky?).