Unboxing: Apple's mid-2010 iMac has changes on the inside

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's latest batch of iMacs bring faster processor, memory, and graphics performance and an improved SD Card slot, while retaining the same external design of previous models.

Inside, the new iMacs include faster processors, ranging from 3.06, 3.2 or 3.6GHz Core i3 options on the 21.5 inch model (each with 4MB of L3 cache), or a 3.2GHz Core i3 or 2.6GHz Core i5 (both with 4MB of L3 cache) or Quad Core 2.8GHz i5, or Quad Core 2.93GHz Core i7 (both with 8MB of L3 cache) on the 27 inch model.

All new iMacs also use faster 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, with four slots officially supporting 16GB. For disk storage, the 21.5 inch models offer:

500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA (low end model)

1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA (higher end model)

2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA ($150 more than higher end model)

While 27 inch models offer choice of:

1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA (standard)

2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA ($150 more)

256GB solid-state drive ($600 more)

1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA and 256GB solid-state drive< ($750 more)

2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA and 256GB solid-state drive ($900 more)

For graphics, the lower end 21.5 inch iMac uses an ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.

The higher end 21.5 inch iMac uses ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory.

The dual core 27 inch iMac uses an ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory.

The quad core 27 inch iMac uses an ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory.

In the box

The new iMac ships with a power cable, Bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse, an Apple logo monogrammed screen wipe, and the usual stickers, user guide and regulatory information. DVDs provide Mac OS X Snow Leopard and iLife apps: iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand and iWeb.

The keyboard box seems designed with the Magic Trackpad in mind, which fits perfectly into the booklet section. However, there's not an option to choose the new trackpad instead of the bundled mouse; it's only available as a separate, additional purchase.

The new iMac is protected by what appears to be a more tightly wrapped screen cover, held in place with sticky but residue free adhesive. The rest of the case and external features appear to be identical to the previous generation.

On the right edge of the highly reflective screen there's the same SD Card slot, but like the latest Mac mini it now accepts new SDXC (Secure Digital Extended Capacity) cards 32 GB and larger. SDXC theoretically supports cards up to 2TB, but Apple does not specify a supported ceiling for the new slot. Previous models only supported the Standard SD format of 4 MB to 4 GB and SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) cards from 4GB to 32 GB.

Appleinsider's formal review of the new iMacs will follow.

Where to buy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Nice To Know... I guess if it works - Why Change?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    the sticky plaster

Seriously, get a life.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

the sticky plaster[sic]

Seriously, get a life.

Perhaps you don't recall but the initial shipments of these new glass-to-edge iMacs had a packaging issue that resulted in a seemingly high rate of cracked or broken glass in the bottom corner of one side and/or sometimes a slightly shifted glass panel (which is only held in place via magnets), so it makes perfect sense that a reviewer would compare the second model's packaging of this form factor to the first even though I'm sure the packaging changed last year to resolve this issue.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    +3 to solipsism's signature....
  • Reply 5 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps you don't recall but the initial shipments of these new glass-to-edge iMacs had a packaging issue that resulted in a seemingly high rate of cracked

Ordered early. Arrived in perfect condition.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnlyShawn View Post

+3 to solipsism's signature....

it were expressed as a mathematical statement.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 133member
    One issue I would be interested in, is how bootcamp works with the SSD+HD combo. Do I have to use precious SSD space on Windows, or can it be put on the larger media drive?
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyzzy01 View Post

One issue I would be interested in, is how bootcamp works with the SSD+HD combo. Do I have to use precious SSD space on Windows, or can it be put on the larger media drive?

I?m pretty sure they planned for this contingency from the start. Remember, the Mac Pro can have 4 internal drives.

Here is what comes up on MBP when I start Bootcamp Assistance?
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Did the last 27" model support a secondary internal drive? If so, I completely missed this.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post

Did the last 27" model support a secondary internal drive? If so, I completely missed this.

No, it?s new.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, it?s new.

I thought so. I would have expected this article to draw some specific attention to such a significant new feature.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    4miler4miler Posts: 24member
    How come there's no matte, anti-glare screen? The 1,000+ petitions at the petition site http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments shows there are a substantial percentage - around 20-40% depending on which survey you look at - that need matte screens.

Generally, these are:

- the percentage of the population that is susceptible to eye-strain and migraine headaches from the glossy screen;

- graphic artists

- photographers

- people who use their Macs in bright sun-lit areas

We're not saying matte screens are for everyone -- but there should be a choice.

If you're in desperate need of a matte screen on your iMac, you might add your petition to the growing list at http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments
  • Reply 13 of 43
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

How come there's no matte, anti-glare screen? The 1,000+ petitions at the petition site http://macmatte.wordpress.com/comment-page-1/#comments shows there are a substantial percentage - around 20-40% depending on which survey you look at - that need matte screens.

I'm sure they did the consumer surveys, the math; and the sale number would not come close enough to justify making that screen.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    I'm a photographer and I really like my 27" glossy screen (as do my clients).
  • Reply 15 of 43
    lloekilloeki Posts: 18member
    I ordered a few iMacs (3*21.5", 1*27") in sequence since June, which I sequencely exchanged due to very bad yellow tint and kept the 27". They all had that thick adhesive plastic, covering the screen and sides, up to the back, so it's not a new feature.

I hope those new screens don't have the yellow tinge issue anymore, but as it looks like a light hardware refresh they're probably the same LG panels. And now the 24" Cinema Display which was 16:10 and tinge-free now very probably features the same tinge-vulnerable panel as the 27".

Luckily for me the initial light yellow tint gradually wore off on my 27" (which was the opposite on the 21.5")
  • Reply 16 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Hmmm... if it's exactly the same on the outside why have an unboxing article? Wouldn't you cancel it once you noticed it was same? But the trackpad fit in the keyboard box was a nice discovery.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    lopsidedlopsided Posts: 20member
    Did they drop the Kensington security slot? It was eliminated on the new mini, and I don't see any reference to it here or on the iMac tech specs page on Apple.com.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I'm going to order the 27" quad core i5 iMac with a 1TB HD but WITHOUT the optional SSD drive.

I figure since there is room for one, I can always add an SSD later down the road when they come down in price.

I know some sites are reporting that although there is an empty space for one, that Apple doesn't make it easy by not including the brackets or wires necessary to install it....HOWEVER...I am sure that eventually Apple will announce that their stores will do the install for a price. But right now they want people to order the expensive add on only when you first purchase one online as a BTO.

Or at least I hope this is the case. I just can't spring for this option right now, yet can't wait for the prices of the SSDs to come down either.

One day tho, I'd like to be able to swing by my local Apple store and drop off my 27" at the genius bar for one to be added. :-)
  • Reply 19 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

They should throw that Mighty (Apple) Mouse away. And offer three options.

1. Magic Mouse

2. Magic Trackpad

3. Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad [Add $69.00]

End of story. The current choice is idiotic.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They should throw that Mighty (Apple) Mouse away. And offer three options.

1. Magic Mouse

2. Magic Trackpad

3. Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad [Add $69.00]

End of story. The current choice is idiotic.

It's not stupid at all....why do YOU think it's stupid?