Rogers/Fido pricing of iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Prices of iPhone 4 in Canada:

Rogers/Fido & Telus locked iPhone

8 GB - 3GS - 3 years - 99 CAD

16 GB - iP4 - 3 years - 159 CAD

32 GB - iP4 - 3 years - 269 CAD

That's 30 CAD less than the 3G and 3GS when they were released.

Bell locked iPhone:

8 GB - 3GS - 3 years - 99,95 CAD

16 GB - iP4 - 3 years - 159,95 CAD

32 GB - iP4 - 3 years - 269,95 CAD

Rogers, Telus no-contract locked iPhone

16 GB - iP4 - 649 CAD

32 GB - iP4 - 749 CAD

Bell no-contract locked iPhone

?

Apple Unlocked iPhone

16 GB - iP4 - 659 CAD

32 GB - iP4 - 779 CAD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Engadget has the unlocked pricing. $700. for a phone is crazy indeed.

Does anybody know what the prices are for using a Canadian iPhone in the U.S.?

Popping in a U.S. sim card is the only reason I'd buy the unlocked version.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I was surprised that Fido/Rogers decided to put out decent upgrade prices for the launch. In every year past, they have release horrible pricing and policies and then within a couple days had to change both because of massive negative public relations. The upgrade policy is actual pretty good this time around. Some of the positives:

1) We have 3 year contracts here, so keep that in mind. Original buyers of the 3G from 2008 are eligible for full hardware upgrade subsidy, so $159 and $269 prices.

2) Usually, with Fido, you are required to add a new 3 year contract on top of your remaining years on your existing contract. For most 3G buyers, this would mean getting an iP4 would extend their contract into 2014. For the iP4 launch, they have waived this and your 3 year contract starts the day you buy your iP4.

3) Fido dollars (reward dollars) can be applied on top of the subsidized price. I have about $90 in Fido Dollars, so a 32GB model would cost be about $175

4) Rogers customers will be allowed to share the voice and data plan with a family member on another handset for $25. If you have the 6GB/$30 plan and unlimited calling or high anytime minutes, to share both for $25 seems like a good deal.

5) Rogers customers can share just their data plan with a family member for $20. This is a little high considering Bell is offering the exact service for $10.

6) Because Rogers and Fido are the same company, they allow one interbrand port without having to pay an early termination fee (some rogers customer might have to pay $100, but this is negotiable). So, it is possible to get yourself a free iP4 or make a profit (need to have been a customer for 1 year). If you qualify for the $159/$269 pricing from either Rogers or Fido and you order it you now have a 3 year contract. You call once you receive the phone and tell them to terminate your acct and port you to the other brand. You are now considered a new customer on the other brand and eligible for new customer pricing or $159/$269, so you order another iP4. You now have a Fido and a Rogers iP4, both are locked to their respective carriers. You can sell the one you aren't under contract for, which should be enough to pay for both handsets and have a small profit. Another option is to sell both and go to the Apple store and buy a factory unlocked unit. This will probably chew away any profit, but you have an Apple unlocked phone that can be used anywhere. I won't do this however, because my loyalty plan with Fido is very good and switching to Rogers would reset me to a new customer with no loyalty leverage to get a better plan. Long term, I would pay much more. But, if you have a vanilla plan with Rogers or Fido and don't mind switching, it is something to consider. Some might say this is unethical, but it exactly what Rogers intended when they allowed interbrand porting. There is only one benefit to the consumer and that is to leave one brand for another without paying the ECF and that is all you would really be doing. They benefit by you staying in their company, which is why the implemented this.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777;1686938[URL="http://www.buzzle.com/articles/att-sim-card-price.html";

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/att-sim-card-price.html[/URL]938]Engadget has the unlocked pricing. $700. for a phone is crazy indeed.

Does anybody know what the prices are for using a Canadian iPhone in the U.S.?

Popping in a U.S. sim card is the only reason I'd buy the unlocked version.

Apple Canada lists $659 and $779 for the unlocked units.

I saw a couple sites that said AT&T SIMs are around $6 plus activation. I think if you go to AT&T's website and look for pricing on GoPhone (their PAYG service) you will find more details.