WiFi connection not working after getting the iMac. Please help!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everyone!

My Linksys WRT610N with the latest firmware worked fantastically on multiple Windows 7-based ThinkPad. However, three (3) different iMac's have had the very same problem of dropping the connection and of my having to powercycle both my cable modem and the W610 router for it to work again at all! Once it drops the active connection, that's it.

I have tried a few different settings and nothing has made a difference. Can you maybe help point me in the right direction or should I just ditch it for an AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule?

One additional point: It works worst in the 5GHz frequency band, even though there are none in my neighborhood, and if there are, they have their SSID's (network name) hidden. The 2.4GHz band is extremely crowded where I am which makes it difficult to enjoy my WiFi connection.

Thanks in advance and best wishes!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I have the same problem with my Mini. I'm guessing its a software problem with Snow Leopard. Started happening right after the 10.6.4 update. Is that what you're running? I don't think the DHCP bug is fully fixed yet, but that's just my opinion

The workaround is to assign a static IP to your iMac.

Or you can try deleting your Wireless Adapter in Network settings and adding it back, then create a new "Location" in your Network settings and delete the old.