Game Center not compatible with iPhone 3G in iOS 4.1 beta 3

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Both the iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod touch are not compatible with Apple's forthcoming Game Center application in the latest beta of iOS 4.1.

People familiar with the matter told AppleInsider that iOS 4.1 beta 3, a pre-release build seeded to developers on Tuesday, has dropped support for Game Center for older handset models. In previous builds, the iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod touch were capable of running Game Center.

Those familiar with the latest build said Apple's release notes did not indicate whether this was a permanent change, or a temporary one just for this beta. It simply stated that Game Center is "no longer supported" on the older hardware.

The loss of support was reportedly one of a number of changes made to the GameKit API found in iOS 4.1. In addition to a number of bug fixes, the latest update is also said to have added support for the achievements API, which will allow gamers to receive virtual awards for completing tasks in games.

Game Center has been touted by Apple as a major new feature of iOS 4, aiming to provide a centralized experience for gamers on the iPhone and iPod touch. Similar to Microsoft's Xbox Live, the social gaming network will allow gamers to see what their friends are playing, challenge them to an online match, or compare scores in specific titles.

In addition, the GameKit application programming interface allows developers to integrate their titles into the Game Center social network. The service will be opt-in for developers, who will not be forced to make their software a part of Game Center. But Apple officials believe it will be beneficial for application makers to integrate their games, because the service will allow a greater experience for users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    This is Smiles77 and I disapprove of this message.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    My 3G is such a pig running ios4 that i don't really care what Apple choses not to support on it, because it won't run worth a damn anyway. I have been holding out on a 4, but I think it is almost time to pull the trigger.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Seriously though, they should not remove support for the 2nd Gen iPod Touch as they're still selling it as new, in the 8GB current model. My 16GB 2nd Gen is running 20% faster under iOS 4.0 and I have heard from a lot of others with 2nd gen touches that theirs are the same, so I don't know why you would disallow the running of the Game Center app. I'd think you would want as many people as possible to be able to utilize your social gaming network, as that will drive adoption, otherwise something like OpenFeint is more attractive for game developers.. Here's to hoping they bring back support.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

This is Smiles77 and I disapprove of this message.

I know a lot f people that simply never upgraded to the 3GS and even more that have 3GS that are staying far away from iphone 4 and hate ios 4 saying it's very slow, like 5 seconds to Load a web page.

I hope this isn't a ploy to get users to upgrade as that would be acnew low, even for Apple.

As it stands now the 3g should be $50 to ugrade and foresee many upgrading to the 3 GS, running 3.1. Ios 4 is a mess right now and the iPhone 4 needs a revision. Peace
  • Reply 5 of 43
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

My 3G is such a pig running ios4 that i don't really care what Apple choses not to support on it, because it won't run worth a damn anyway. I have been holding out on a 4, but I think it is almost time to pull the trigger.

Have you tried a full reinstall. I did the first day and was amazed how well my 3G responded. Have had half a dozen clients do the same thing.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Have you tried a full reinstall. I did the first day and was amazed how well my 3G responded. Have had half a dozen clients do the same thing.

That worked for me for about two weeks before everything slowed down again.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    parsecparsec Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

That worked for me for about two weeks before everything slowed down again.

Exactly, there is no permanent fix. A full reinstall works because it reboots the phone, which helps for a day or so.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    ricmacricmac Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

I know a lot f people that simply never upgraded to the 3GS and even more that have 3GS that are staying far away from iphone 4 and hate ios 4 saying it's very slow, like 5 seconds to Load a web page.

I hope this isn't a ploy to get users to upgrade as that would be acnew low, even for Apple.

As it stands now the 3g should be $50 to ugrade and foresee many upgrading to the 3 GS, running 3.1. Ios 4 is a mess right now and the iPhone 4 needs a revision. Peace

I wonder why iOS 4 isn't slow for me, like, it does NOT take 5 seconds to load a web page. I wonder why my experience of iOS 4 IS NOT that it is "a mess right now."

I wonder if you are stating your OPINION and not any real facts??????
  • Reply 9 of 43
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

I wonder why iOS 4 isn't slow for me, like, it does NOT take 5 seconds to load a web page. I wonder why my experience of iOS 4 IS NOT that it is "a mess right now."

Well, add me to the list. It's a mess for me. In fact my wife sees how poorly it is running on my phone and said she does not want the update done to hers. There are many people here and on Apple's own discussion forums which are having similar problems. Don't know what other "real facts" you are looking for. Would you like us all to capture video and post it for you on YouTube? Would that let you finally sleep at night?
  • Reply 10 of 43
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

My 'opinion' is that ios4 slowed my 3g to a crawl and it became unusable to all intents and purposes. 5 seconds for a web page. Try 5 seconds for most screen refreshes no matter what app. or 5 secs for text to appear after having typed a given word. I totally re-installed and did every other trick floating about in the ether at present. Then I reverted to ios3 and I am back to the old pretty slow but usable 3g. 'Fact' or 'opinion'? You tell me.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:

Not really apples business model is all about selling new hardware. They dropped power pc support on macs making you have to buy a whole new mac instead of a new os. It was inevitable that at some point new phone features would only be availiable to new models to make people buy a new phone.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

OK, those people you know suffer some strange logic. Since iOS 4 is running slowly on their older hardware, why in heck are they staying far away from iPhone 4? It blazes man.

The antenna issue? Scoff.

Thompson
  • Reply 13 of 43
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My 'opinion' is that ios4 slowed my 3g to a crawl and it became unusable to all intents and purposes. 5 seconds for a web page. Try 5 seconds for most screen refreshes no matter what app. or 5 secs for text to appear after having typed a given word. I totally re-installed and did every other trick floating about in the ether at present. Then I reverted to ios3 and I am back to the old pretty slow but usable 3g. 'Fact' or 'opinion'? You tell me.

Recent software will trump old hardware every time, especially at this early stage in the smartphone game where both are changing at light speed. This is to be expected. The main two solutions are to keep running the old iOS on the old iPhone or upgrade to the new iPhone with the latest iOS. It sounds like you took the former approach.

Thompson
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Recent software will trump old hardware every time, especially at this early stage in the smartphone game where both are changing at light speed. This is to be expected. The main two solutions are to keep running the old iOS on the old iPhone or upgrade to the new iPhone with the latest iOS. It sounds like you took the former approach.

Thompson

Yeah, the thing that bugs me though, is that Apple is CURRENTLY selling an 8GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch as if it were a new model, and yet it has no Multitasking, Background Wallpapers, and now Game Center support. How can they keep selling it and have it not fully support their current OS.

Current hardware, and current OS.

In important ways incompatible.

Bad stuff. \
  • Reply 15 of 43
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    I LOL'd a little

I have to think that they are in pretty unfamiliar territory:

1. Working on a gaming platform and

2. Blatantly copying something from Microsoft

My guess is that they need the extra RAM available in the 3GS onwards so they can have some kind of dashboard running in the background. It's hard to say for sure though.

I'd would pretty much LMAO if Apple decide to create a "game hub" and manage to release it before WP7.

On a final note Apple really really need to buy OpenFeint. One of the most important features of these social game platforms is that they work the same across all games. If they don't buy OpenFeint the experience will be way too fragmented.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Yeah, the thing that bugs me though, is that Apple is CURRENTLY selling an 8GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch as if it were a new model, and yet it has no Multitasking, Background Wallpapers, and now Game Center support. How can they keep selling it and have it not fully support their current OS.

Current hardware, and current OS.

In important ways incompatible.

Bad stuff. \

Yes, that is a fairly old piece of hardware to continue selling as new, but I'm sure its beneficial to Apple to dangle the $199 Touch at potential customers, only to go for the easy upsell when they see how much more they will get for that extra hundred.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Let's see, they are complaining about the lack of speed on an updated OS on a second and third generation phone but refuse to upgrade to the fourth generation, which is much faster and has much more memory and would not exhibit these problems. Sounds like these people are backwards thinking on the subject.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    Is this release of iOS 4.1 iPhone only? I was under the impression iOS 4 would be the same for both devices, and no longer split between the two...

Has someone tried iOS 4.1 on an iPad?
  • Reply 19 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

Is this release of iOS 4.1 iPhone only? I was under the impression iOS 4 would be the same for both devices, and no longer split between the two...

Has someone tried iOS 4.1 on an iPad?

The developer section lists the iOS versions for each device and model, the iPad is not listed.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    So people that bought a 3G 6 months ago have no right to complain about the *reduction* in speed (not lack of), that renders their new phone unusable ? Apple has not stated they no longer support the 3G.

Apple actively encourage all users to upgrade via iTunes. There was no warning that it would be slow, there is no list of minimum system requirements. It has been oversold and a load of customers have traded a usable phone for "folders".

Thankfully for me, rolling back on the 3G is easy, but for the 3GS its a one-way ticket and Apple need to fix it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Let's see, they are complaining about the lack of speed on an updated OS on a second and third generation phone but refuse to upgrade to the fourth generation, which is much faster and has much more memory and would not exhibit these problems. Sounds like these people are backwards thinking on the subject.