iPhone 4 owners report fewer dropped calls than iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It also highlights how much a part of the business landscape astroturfing has become, how bloggers who don't know what they are talking about have somehow gained credibility simply by making lots of posts with pictures and videos, how uncritical the tech media are in their thinking, and how some people live not to add something to the world, but to destroy what others create.

Sadly true.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The screen was the best addition? Multitasking 9th?

I like screens and all, but for me it would have to be:

I would say Apple have failed if they put the most gorgeous screen on the new phone and people didn't notice it.

Surprised facetime is not higher up though considering all the Apple ads.

EDIT: forgot to say this survey, in a way, spell doom to BB Torch if people love the screen so much.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The screen was the best addition? Multitasking 9th?

I like screens and all, but ....

I have yet to even see an iPhone 4 "in the flesh," but everyone I know who has says the same about the screen. It's a small sample, but in the last five days, I've run across three different friends who have seen one at the local Apple store or Internationaly and the conversation always goes like this:

"(Optional OMG here), ... you *have* to get one of those, the screen it's just ... " (and here they are literally at a loss for words).

Then they start making blubbing sounds and waving their arms and eventually pop out with something like "it's so clear!" or "it's just ... unbelievable"

2 of these 3 then went on to tell me of "how incredibly fast" it was and the "amazing speed" to use the exact quotes.

No one mentioned the multi-tasking.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Too many variables to say what's actually occurring.

#1. This is a self-reporting survey, which is an highly unreliable and inaccurate method for data collection.

#2. Everybody knows they should encase their iPhone 4, but no such admonishments have been made for the 3GS.

#3. The iPhone 4 may have newer cellular electronics that might offer better performance than the 3GS, independent of the touchy antenna.

#4. AT&T may have tweaked their network to favor the iPhone 4 at the expense of previous iPhone users.

For a simple, quantitative assessment of the iPhone 4 antenna, all Apple has to do is bring back Field Test Mode, which is found in every release of iPhone OS and which was removed from iOS 4.

I'm not sure about your point #2. On that point, are you suggesting that there are fewer dropped calls on iPhone 4 than on 3GS because more people are using cases/bumpers? If so, I think that this particular point is questionable. Although more people may want bumpers or cases due to this whole situation, I don't think that enough are available yet. Data from Gene Munster's (an Apple stock analyst) surveys suggest that 80% of 3GS owners have cases. Meanwhile, with the iPhone 4, there were not nearly enough bumpers manufactured to meet demand, so that figure is probably lower, even now with new cases coming on board.

Thompson
  • Reply 45 of 84
    skipaqskipaq Posts: 17member
    My iPhone 4 is on order. Looking forward to it coming next week if there are no delays. Dropped calls is a part of life in Downeast Maine. Top of a hill make a call and drive down the other side to drop the call. Doesn't matter what phone or service. Actually, the only choice up here is AT&T and Verizon. Have had them both and prefer AT&T. My wife has the 3gs and it works fine where you can get a signal. At home we are on the Microcell which is a pleasure to use.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benice View Post

Who commissioned this research? Apple? I think it should be disclosed.

Didn't you read the story?

The source of the survey was disclosed: ChangeWave Research. (See changewave.com.) This group funds and performs surveys like this in order to characterize the dynamics of technology in the market place. They perform surveys, analyze the results, make some predictions and editorialize a bit, then they sell their results and conclusions to their subscribers. Since they are making money from their subscribers, they are not beholden to the companies they cover, and their work is fairly unbiased and independent. They live and die from their ability to predict, or at least characterize, trends. So they need to get it right.

Thompson
  • Reply 47 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aimac1 View Post

I wish i could report the same. My wife and i both have i4 and have about 5 dropped calls a day. We live in Dallas which is where A&T is headquartered and Dallas is the first city in the nation where AT&T rolls out upgrades. With that being said, i hope a case solves our problems. We're having as many dropped calls on i4 as we did on 3g, if not more. I love everything mac, so i'm not on here to bash, but i wish i could report the good reception that so many other users are seeing.

I have a friend who has had AT&T for years, and he calls his wife daily. He commutes to Austin most of the week, and she is in Waco. They both had Motorola RAZR flip phones and AT&T would drop their calls, all the time. Now they have iPhones (3G). Their calls still drop, pretty much all the time. However, I have never experienced a dropped call since I joined AT&T 3 years ago. I've concluded that it's not the iPhone per se, but likely AT&T in the particular cell tower and time of day.

BTW, I when I got the iPhone 4, I have not seen any change in signal quality, or any dropped calls, but I acknowledge that some people have in other parts of the country, and this was probably the origins of the media-created "antenna-gate".

One more anecdote: a fandroid friend of mine wanted to demonstrate antenna-gate on my new iPhone 4, so I take it out of the bumper and hand it to him... He gives it a good left-handed death grip and it drops... From 5 to 4 bars of signal. He seemed unhappy that it did not drop to no signal.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I figured this to be good news. Some seem angry... lol.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new survey of iPhone 4 users has found that owners of Apple's latest handset have experienced fewer dropped calls than those who own an iPhone 3GS, suggesting the real-world impact of the iPhone 4 antenna issue is a non-factor.

But that won't shut up the haters. They'll likely point to the objective data which shows that the iP4 drops more calls than the 3GS, and deny that the owners of the 4 think they get fewer dropped calls.

But that's what haters do.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

But that won't shut up the haters. They'll likely point to the objective data which shows that the iP4 drops more calls than the 3GS, and deny that the owners of the 4 think they get fewer dropped calls.

Thanks for weighing in, tekstud
  • Reply 51 of 84
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

again with a Changewave study?

a survey of 213 people can't provide accurate results.

actually it can. learn some statistics. the joke is on you.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aimac1 View Post

I wish i could report the same. My wife and i both have i4 and have about 5 dropped calls a day. We live in Dallas which is where A&T is headquartered and Dallas is the first city in the nation where AT&T rolls out upgrades. With that being said, i hope a case solves our problems. We're having as many dropped calls on i4 as we did on 3g, if not more. I love everything mac, so i'm not on here to bash, but i wish i could report the good reception that so many other users are seeing.

For me - this would merit a visit to the local Apple Store to see about fix or replace. Your phones do not sound like they are working correctly. But I'm particular - if it doesn't work right it gets taken back and fixed or replaced.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Thanks for weighing in, tekstud

He's been on quite a roll lately with this latest shtick.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

He's been on quite a roll lately with this latest shtick.

it was a change in meds? I hear that can do wonders!
  • Reply 55 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Admitting you are wrong is one of the hardest things for people to do.

The denial among the droidtard army is strong on antennagate.

What I think is that in future when LTE starts being adopted is that Apple will have a headstart with this innovative antenna design, it will be hard for other manufacturers to copy it, thanks to the droidtards.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SendMe View Post

• Reply 56 of 84
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Admitting you are wrong is one of the hardest things for people to do.

The denial among the droidtard army is strong on antennagate.

What I think is that in future when LTE starts being adopted is that Apple will have a headstart with this innovative antenna design, it will be hard for other manufacturers to copy it, thanks to the droidtards.

No, they'll copy it without a second thought, and it'll be hailed as a marvel of engineering.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    All my friends who have one say that they get fewer dropped calls vs. the 3G and 3GS.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    I saw an iPhone 4 in the flesh for the first time yesterday, and if I hadn't known the screen was higher resolution, I wouldn't have noticed it (and my vision is 20/20).
  • Reply 59 of 84
    sendmesendme Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Habañero View Post

I saw an iPhone 4 in the flesh for the first time yesterday, and if I hadn't known the screen was higher resolution, I wouldn't have noticed it (and my vision is 20/20).

Wow. I knew it was hi-rez, but I wasn't really prepared for just how good it looked. I had thought that Apple made a mistake in not increasing the screen size, but compared to many other larger, but lower rez screens, the iP4 screen is truly impressive.

Did you compare it with anything side by side?
  • Reply 60 of 84
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

actually it can. learn some statistics. the joke is on you.

Well if you are the statistics guru, what is the best sample size for a 95% CI of a population of around 2,000,000? (assuming 2/3 of the iPhone4 were US sold)