EC picks Apple's iPhone over RIM's BlackBerry

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The European Commission has added support for iPhones among its employees while declining to support RIM's BlackBerry in a move that will affect 2,500 employees.

According to a report by CNET, the EC, which serves as the executive arm of the European Union, began a search for future smartphone platform in 2008. The EC currently uses devices built by HTC.

The group evaluated a variety of devices, including RIM's BlackBerry, before making the decision to continue to support HTC and add Apple's iPhone.

"Following this evaluation, the HTC and the iPhones emerged as the most suitable platforms for voice/mail-centric mobile devices. As a result, the Commission currently supports these two platforms," the group said in the report.

The EC's evaluation factored in "security, financial impact, integration into its IT infrastructure, resiliency, administrative overhead, and openness toward other applications and future technologies."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Rip rim rip rim rip rim
  • Reply 2 of 25
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Given that they're still utilizing HTC devices, that affords the use of WinMo and Android as well.

Note: HTC is a hardware manufacturer, NOT a platform/OS.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Given that they're still utilizing HTC devices, that affords the use of WinMo and Android as well.

Note: HTC is a hardware manufacturer, NOT a platform/OS.

Note: Any one whose been on AppleInsider for at least the past 3 years knows HTC is a phone manufacturer.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Note: Any one whose been on AppleInsider for at least the past 3 years knows HTC is a phone manufacturer.

Note: 10 members are viewing this thread, and 63 guests are viewing this thread.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    The main reason this is happening is because of RIM's encrypted BES servers. It sucks that RIM is actually doing something better than everyone else and getting punished for it. I guess privacy is truly dead now.

I would have loved for the iPhone to have these features if RIM didn't patent it.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

It sucks that RIM is actually doing something better than everyone else and getting punished for it. I guess privacy is truly dead now.

Wait what? Which part are they doing better than everyone else?

Also, do you think having middleware promotes privacy? How do you think a BES actually works?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

NOTE: Tell that to The European Commission who are quoted in this very article as stating, "Following this evaluation, the HTC and the iPhones emerged as the most suitable platforms for voice/mail-centric mobile devices."
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Wait what? Which part are they doing better than everyone else?

Also, do you think having middleware promotes privacy? How do you think a BES actually works?

A major reason why corporations have not switched away from BB is because of their security on the device and through their servers. There is basically no point to stealing a RIM device because it can always be found unlike the iPhone which needs MobileMe and even then the SIM card can be taken out to avoid be tracked. The iPhone works better with Exchange but they still won't give it up. Middleware is not always a negative.

The iPhone does many more things better than BB but not when it comes to security. I don't like to see a company get punished for protecting privacy. I'd rather have everyone find a way to rise to RIM's level in this regard instead of governments and corporations switching because they can't track what you've been doing.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:

There is basically no point to stealing a RIM device because it can always be found unlike the iPhone which needs MobileMe and even then the SIM card can be taken out to avoid be tracked.

So what if I steal a GSM blackberry and take out the SIM? I may be wrong, but I would think a missing SIM pretty much makes the provider unable to find a phone it can't talk to. If I'm wrong, go ahead and correct me.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    In a somewhat related note, a person I know ripped Apple a new one over the iPhone 4's proximity sensor issue today and vowed to never use an iPhone again. Apple refunded his money and he went to the nearest Sprint store to get an EVO. He was really mad, but happy he finally had a working phone.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So what if I steal a GSM blackberry and take out the SIM? I may be wrong, but I would think a missing SIM pretty much makes the provider unable to find a phone it can't talk to. If I'm wrong, go ahead and correct me.

From what I understand from a BB developer and a sister who has a Bold you can still be tracked though the only smartphone I owned that wasn't an iPhone was from Palm. I'm guessing that it has to do with BES and the unique ID of the phone.

Most thieves won't take out the SIM but it is an extra measure for the informed.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    gariongarion Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In a somewhat related note, a person I know ripped Apple a new one over the iPhone 4's proximity sensor issue today and vowed to never use an iPhone again. Apple refunded his money and he went to the nearest Sprint store to get an EVO. He was really mad, but happy he finally had a working phone.

What a wise guy. Turns in his iPhone 4 because of an issue with the proximity sensor when that issue will be fixed in the next software update coming soon. *slow clapping*

Now he can have fun with his Sprint EVO trying to find that fabled 4G signal that's supposed to be out there ... somewhere.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    So the problem with the Blackberry is that it is TOO good at protecting its user's data? That's the real point here isn't it. Blackberry must dumb down its security so that governments can snoop on their citizens or be banned. In my opinion that's a feather in Blackberry's cap, not a fault.

It also says loads about the security of iOS and Android doesn't it. The iPhone and Android phones are okay, just peachy keen, for dictatorial, oppressive governments. I wonder when the Blackberry will be banned in the U.S. by Homeleand Security.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garion View Post

What a wise guy. Turns in his iPhone 4 because of an issue with the proximity sensor when that issue will be fixed in the next software update coming soon. *slow clapping*

Now he can have fun with his Sprint EVO trying to find that fabled 4G signal that's supposed to be out there ... somewhere.

As I said, he was happy to have a working phone. Is it difficult to understand why a busy person cannot wait for their phone to be updated with what appears to be a simple fix? That's what happened.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

So the problem with the Blackberry is that it is TOO good at protecting its user's data? That's the real point here isn't it. Blackberry must dumb down its security so that governments can snoop on their citizens or be banned. In my opinion that's a feather in Blackberry's cap, not a fault.

It also says loads about the security of iOS and Android doesn't it. The iPhone and Android phones are okay, just peachy keen, for dictatorial, oppressive governments. I wonder when the Blackberry will be banned in the U.S. by Homeleand Security.

There have been rumors from (from whatever link) that the US can now snoop in on BBs. Don't know how true it is but Skype hasn't been "cracked" yet.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Interesting. I bet Finland is pretty pissed that their symbian phones weren't used.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    In the interests of fairness and balance, DED actually got this right, and with minimal bias.

There, I said it.

Hey, maybe he's been listening?

Nah... gotta be a coincidence.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    renaudrenaud Posts: 1member
    Quote:

The main reason this is happening is because of RIM's encrypted BES servers. It sucks that RIM is actually doing something better than everyone else and getting punished for it. I guess privacy is truly dead now.

I would have loved for the iPhone to have these features if RIM didn't patent it.

I believe you miss a key element here. All the RIM servers are located in US or Canada, i.e. outside the EC territory. It's like the White House would allow its email servers to be hosted in Brussels or Bratislava...
  • Reply 19 of 25
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

Excuse me but you have no idea what you are talking about. It is because RIMM devices are has beens, old technology. They are way behind the times. And if you think that they are that secure, and not sharing emails with anyone, think again. They've already given the US govt the software key to see users emails. Get real and wake up.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:

A major reason why corporations have not switched away from BB is because of their security on the device and through their servers. There is basically no point to stealing a RIM device because it can always be found unlike the iPhone which needs MobileMe and even then the SIM card can be taken out to avoid be tracked. The iPhone works better with Exchange but they still won't give it up. Middleware is not always a negative.

The iPhone does many more things better than BB but not when it comes to security. I don't like to see a company get punished for protecting privacy. I'd rather have everyone find a way to rise to RIM's level in this regard instead of governments and corporations switching because they can't track what you've been doing.

The paid shills are coming out of the woodwork! RIMM has already given their software key to some governments. So how does that make them more secure???? Their products suck, no matter how good their claimed security.