Apple must publicize iPod nano fix in Japan, iPhone 4 to access DoCoMo

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has been ordered to inform customers in Japan how to receive a replacement battery for iPod nanos that can catch fire, while a wireless provider has taken steps to allow unlocked iPhone 4 devices on the DoCoMo network.

iPod nano battery fix

The trade ministry in Japan has ordered Apple to state on its website that users can receive a replacement battery for their iPod nano, after a handful of minor burns occurred from problems with the device, according to Reuters. A few months ago, the ministry declared the device a fire hazard.

Similar reports of iPod batteries catching fire gained attention last year in Europe as well.

In 2008, Apple began a voluntary replacement program for owners of first-generation iPod nanos, some of which had defective batteries. The company said the defects which caused batteries to overheat were found in "very rare cases" with hardware sold between Sept. 2005 and Dec. 2006.

In Japan, Apple must now publish an "easy to understand" statement on its website to tell users how they can receive replacement batteries or get advice. The issue has caused minor burns in four cases in that country.

Unlocked iPhone 4 compatibility coming to DoCoMo

Later this month, Apple's newly launched iPhone 4 will debut on the NTT DoCoMo network in Japan, but not in an official capacity according to Reuters. Currently, the iPhone is exclusive to rival carrier Softbank Corp, which also has sole access to the iPad with 3G.

The wireless service provider Japan Communications will sell SIM cards that are compatible with the DoCoMo network, with the intent of allowing users with an unlocked iPhone 4 to use the hardware on the rival network. The report said that the unlocked devices can be bought online or abroad, suggesting that Apple will not sell an unlocked phone in Japan.

DoCoMo's network in Japan is said to be stronger than Softbank, and the carrier has been working to counter the iPhone with other smartphone options. But now it plans to reach out to those who wish to use Apple's handset on its network.

"Aiming to boost competition, the Japanese government has suggested mobile carriers lift restrictions blocking the use of different SIM cards in mobile phones and allow users to switch carriers without changing their handsets," the report said. "DoCoMo has said it plans to follow the guidelines from next April, but Softbank has not yet agreed to do so."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    This article is incorrect. Japan Communications does not own NTT Docomo. Japan Communications will sell Docomo compatible SIM cards for unlocked iPhone 4's, not Docomo.

>The wireless carrier, owned by Japan Communications, will sell SIM cards that are compatible with the DoCoMo network, with the intent of allowing users with an unlocked iPhone 4 to use the hardware on their network. The report said that the unlocked devices can be bought online or abroad, suggesting that Apple will not sell an unlocked phone in Japan.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

DoCoMo's network in Japan is said to be stronger than Softbank

That's an understatement.

NTT DoCoMo is the de facto standard of mobile operators. You could ride the Tokyo subways and talk on your teeny phone whose battery lasted for days or use the i-Mode Internet service. Ten years ago.

Also, NTT DoCoMo is majority owned by NTT, not "Japan Communications" (sic).
  • Reply 3 of 19
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    nothing to see here
  • Reply 4 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

NTT DoCoMo is the de facto standard of mobile operators. You could ride the Tokyo subways and talk on your teeny phone whose battery lasted for days or use the i-Mode Internet service. Ten years ago.

It’s the largest carrier in Japan at over 2.5x the subscriber size as Softbank and Apple specifically added UMTS frequency band IV (800MHz) in the iPhone 4 to work on NTT DoCoMo. This is old news. The real info will be when NTT DoCoMo officially comes on board as an iPhone distributor.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple specifically added UMTS frequency band IV (800MHz) in the iPhone 4 to work on NTT DoCoMo. This is no news and old news.

Based upon that, it doesn't seem to hard to allow T-Mobile's 3G frequency.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Based upon that, it doesn't seem to hard to allow T-Mobile's 3G frequency.

Difficulty was never a reason for not adding the wonky T-Mobile USA operating band. RIght now, Apple is utilizing 5 UMTS frequencies which is probably the limit for that chip and most I’ve seen on the market. I think only a single Nokia phone beat Apple to the market with 6 UMTS bands in one phone.

Comparing NTT DoCoMO and T-Mobile USA, Apple choose wisely. Of course, their contract with AT&T make have excluded T-Mobile USA before it was ever a contender.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

...inform customers in Japan how to receive a replacement battery for iPod nanos that can catch fire

Ooooh! I want to be notified on how to receive a battery that can catch fire!
  • Reply 8 of 19
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

It’s the largest carrier in Japan at over 2.5x the subscriber size as Softbank and Apple specifically added UMTS frequency band IV (800MHz) in the iPhone 4 to work on NTT DoCoMo. This is no news and old news. The real info will be when NTT DoCoMo officially comes on board as an iPhone distributor.

Now we're talking. I reserved an iP4 at Yodobashi Camera last week and I'm still waiting. I might cancel that reservation and buy a FACTORY unlocked iP4 at Apple Canada since I'm Canadian and get my Mum to send it here. Then it will be a legit unlocked iP4 on a carrier with good reception.

However all of my friends who are on Softbank have ZERO reception/signal issues.

And... I hate NTT. Would almost stay with Softbank just out of spite. They have the WORST compatibility when it comes to internet services for OSX.

All I need to know is what kind of unlimited data plan will Docomo have.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Now we're talking. I reserved an iP4 at Yodobashi Camera last week and I'm still waiting. I might cancel that reservation and buy a FACTORY unlocked iP4 at Apple Canada since I'm Canadian and get my Mum to send it here. Then it will be a legit unlocked iP4 on a carrier with good reception.

However all of my friends who are on Softbank have ZERO reception/signal issues.

And... I hate NTT. Would almost stay with Softbank just out of spite. They have the WORST compatibility when it comes to internet services for OSX.

Hmmmm what should I do.

I’d wait. While the FCC shows that Apple included the operating bands for NTT DoCoMo I haven’t seen anything confirming the Band IV is operational. I assume it is but buying an unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada is an expensive risk to take.

Now that there is a software unlock for the iPhone 4 for 4.0.x it shouldn’t be too hard to get a confirmation that it will work on NTT DoCoMo.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

I’d wait. While the FCC shows that Apple included the operating bands for NTT DoCoMo I haven’t seen anything confirming the Band IV is operational. I assume it is but buying an unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada is an expensive risk to take.

Now that there is a software unlock for the iPhone 4 for 4.0.x it shouldn’t be too hard to get a confirmation that it will work on NTT DoCoMo.

Why do you need a confirmation? They're selling the SIM specifically for the iPhone and the unlock is not a Jailbreak but an Apple Canada factory unlocked iP4. As long as the band frequency specs are the same Bob's your Uncle.

EDIT...Ah I see what you're saying. Well that's a mighty long wait to not have an iPhone which I need for various reasons. At that rate I might be able to receive a white iPhone by then

If my plan fails then I could still use the unlocked iP4 on my current carrier AU KDDI (I think). Maybe not.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    I am sick of hearing about these exclusive carrier agreements that Apple makes. No wonder Android is doing so well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

• Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Why do you need a confirmation? They're selling the SIM specifically for the iPhone and the unlock is not a Jailbreak but an Apple Canada factory unlocked iP4. As long as the band frequency specs are the same Bob's your Uncle.

EDIT...Ah I see what you're saying. Well that's a mighty long wait to not have an iPhone which I need for various reasons. At that rate I might be able to receive a white iPhone by then

If my plan fails then I could still use the unlocked iP4 on my current carrier AU KDDI (I think). Maybe not.

At any rate, if it?s not compatible in the baseband/drivers with NTT DoCoMo (which I think is very unlikely) you can always use it on SoftBank or sell it. Regardless, I don?t think you?d be out anything more than some convenience and time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

I am sick of hearing about these exclusive carrier agreements that Apple makes. No wonder Android is doing so well.

Because phones using Android OS aren?t under any exclusivity deals¡
  • Reply 13 of 19
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Can you get an Android phone on T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint? Yes. Does it matter at all (for the Android platform) that they aren't exactly the same phone? No.

Quote:

At any rate, if it?s not compatible in the baseband/drivers with NTT DoCoMo (which I think is very unlikely) you can always use it on SoftBank or sell it. Regardless, I don?t think you?d be out anything more than some convenience and time.

Because phones using Android OS aren?t under any exclusivity deals¡

• Reply 14 of 19
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    hi

is there any reason to think that the MNP option (to be able to use your current mobile number even if you switch carriers) available in Japan would not be able to be used
  • Reply 15 of 19
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    iphone-bearing travellers being able to use non-international roaming data (and calls) is also another plus for this. the sooner the better - ie "end of the month"-sooner お願い!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    This whole Docomo thing is definitely interesting as it's certainly nice to have an unlocked phone, but I really don't think the quality of Softbank's network is an issue otherwise thousands of iPhone users on Softbank would be complaining and I haven't heard of one. It may have been an issue in the past but not any more.

If Docomo has unlimited plans that are cheaper than Softbank, I may consider going to Docomo though.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

This whole Docomo thing is definitely interesting as it's certainly nice to have an unlocked phone, but I really don't think the quality of Softbank's network is an issue otherwise thousands of iPhone users on Softbank would be complaining and I haven't heard of one. It may have been an issue in the past but not any more.

If Docomo has unlimited plans that are cheaper than Softbank, I may consider going to Docomo though.

Anecdotally my family does not have any issues with the Softbank network, and they have been using them since before the iPhone came out, because the tariffs are a much better deal than Docomo. Before the iPhone was released, Docomo generally had the most exciting phones in Japan, and hence the world, but nowadays I'm not sure what the draw of an iPhone would be for new customers to switch to them or for existing customers to stay.

Does pay as you go exist in Japan yet? Now that would be a compelling reason.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Are you sure it's just iPhone 4 and unlocked ones. Two weeks ago I was in Japan with my locked 3G phone (US Version) and i was able to choose SoftBank or DoCoMo as my carrier and in a few areas it was only DoCoMo.

Drew
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coder_drew View Post

Are you sure it's just iPhone 4 and unlocked ones. Two weeks ago I was in Japan with my locked 3G phone (US Version) and i was able to choose SoftBank or DoCoMo as my carrier and in a few areas it was only DoCoMo.

Drew

SoftBank is the only official carrier in Japan.

NTT DoCoMo is the only one that uses Band VI (800 MHz), which the iPhone 4 unofficially now has according to the FCC filing, but the iPhone also has Bands I, II, V, & VIII (2100, 1900, 850 & 900 MHz, respectively). NTT DoCoMo also uses the Band I (2100 MHz) so it?s possible to use any 3G-capable iPhone on NTT DoCoMo.