Another rumor pegs Verizon iPhone 4 for January 2011 release

Comments

• Reply 101 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Is that on an iPHone 4? We don't have one yet. My daughters iPhone is a 3Gs. Flash now works on my Evo with 2.2 but like I was telling Solip its not exactly ready for primetime when it comes to smartphones. Battery takes a pretty hard hit when viewing Flash content.

ATT certainly has a fast 3G network if you are in a good area. Living in Atlanta I have never had an issue with any carrier because the coverage is solid with Verizon, ATT and Sprint.

I would say with 3g I am only around 2mb with my Evo.

For me Android is just something I wanted to give a try. So far its been a mixed bag, some things I like and others Apple is light years ahead in my opinion.

How do you guys afford to try all these various Android phones? Don't ETFs kill you? AT&T has a family plan where additional iPhones are at a reduced base rate (data is still the same).

To educate myself, I would be willing to try an Android phone-- but I just can't justify the additional cost & 2 year tie-in.

• Reply 102 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL I can get great WiFi speeds even with no bars from AT&T. Crazy¡

Woosh! It runs even faster w/o a SIM card to slow it down!

• Reply 103 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Yeah, that's the iPhone 4. My 3GS could only muster about 15 mb. I've gotten over 30 on my iPad.

Yeah my iPad will hit 30. My daughter keeps wanting to wait until the white iPhones are available. I thinnk she might have to give up on that and settle for black.
  • Reply 104 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So what. Your refrain is old. And boring. Like DaHarder's.

Surprise us, guys.

We are talking about technology. If you can't handle that then stay out of the conversation.
  • Reply 105 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think we can agree the iPhone is still best smartphone for the typical consumer and that you got an Android phone with their best OS release. Froyo is a very impressive upgrade over 2.1. I'm sure if that says more about how good 2.2 is or how bad 2.1 was but the end result is very impressive results that put Apple's JS benchmarks to shame. Other things are harder to directly compare.

Yeah I did get lucky with 2.2 and honestly if you had asked me two weeks ago I would have told you I am not holding my breath when it comes to the update.

While this may very well be a first I have to agree with Quadra that fragmentation is hurting the Android experience. Also Google really needs to get their shit together when it comes to how Apps are purchased and managed.

ITunes has become somewhat bloated but I am not sure what is a better solution for Apple. There may not be one.
  • Reply 106 of 152
    Quote:

Yeah my iPad will hit 30. My daughter keeps wanting to wait until the white iPhones are available. I thinnk she might have to give up on that and settle for black.

The fabled White iPhone 4 (which is white because of the use of exotic Unicorn horn shavings) will out-fabulous the black one, the Evo, and the Droid X, possibly even the iPad.
  • Reply 107 of 152
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

I wanted the white one too, but I couldn't wait.

I've placed my iPhone 4's sim card into my iPad just to see how it would work. Not bad, but tethering is so much easier, though. Make sure you try that when she gets it.

Oh, it's a shame handylight was pulled from the app store, it's such a wonderful app.

If anyone missed out, send me a pm.
  • Reply 108 of 152
    Quote:

We are talking about technology. If you can't handle that then stay out of the conversation.

Exactly what technology are you taking about?

It's all all just a bunch of impressionistic data points -- with a dollop of your biases -- that are being thrown around.

Wake me up when this gets to be a serious technology conversation.
  • Reply 109 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

How do you guys afford to try all these various Android phones? Don't ETFs kill you? AT&T has a family plan where additional iPhones are at a reduced base rate (data is still the same).

To educate myself, I would be willing to try an Android phone-- but I just can't justify the additional cost & 2 year tie-in.

I have the advantage of working for IBM. Most of the stuff I get I simply ask for, its one of the perks of being oncall 24x7 and having 20+ years with the same company.

Right now IBM at least in the Southeast works with both Verizon and Sprint. I believe we get a 25% discount from each with it comes to the plan. Not sure what we pay for the hardware. Sprint is always an option for me and we switch back and forth between Verizon and ATT depending on who outbids who at the time.

My department got iPad as management awards when they first came out so I got that for free and I just pay for the data plan.
  • Reply 110 of 152
    Quote:

Exactly what technology are you taking about?

It's all all just a bunch of impressionistic data points -- with a dollop of your biases -- that are being thrown around.

Wake me up when this gets to be a serious technology conversation.

Opinion are not always bias. Also we like to call this having a conversation. Not all tech conversation has to be hardcore serious seeing alot of us have to put up with that daily durning work hours.

So thats fine, if we need you for anything we will come wake you up.
  • Reply 111 of 152
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Here you go, you got your wish:

The Greater Question Is: Why are you answering a post that was directed solely/specifically to (screen name) Postulant?

I know a few of you in here have multiple AI Identities, but seriously now, have some dignity -
  • Reply 112 of 152
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

So what. Your refrain is old. And boring. Like DaHarder's.

Surprise us, guys.

Not nearly as 'old' as your tired, ineffective attempts at building 'Strawmen' at an alarming rate when left unable to answer any/all legitimate inquiries directed your way.

You say you like Apple... How Do You Like Those Apples?
  • Reply 113 of 152
    Quote:

OK, The fastest I can get on my iPad is about 10.88 -- about the same as my iPhone.

What are you guys using to setup/monitor your WiFi?

I have the latest AirPort Extreme and ATT U-Verse.

• Reply 114 of 152
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

OK, The fastest I can get on my iPad is about 10.88 -- about the same as my iPhone.

I'm using Apple's Time Capsule - Dual Band. I'm only actually paying for 20 mb, but I always seem to get between 25 - 30 mb.

iPad:

• Reply 115 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

While this may very well be a first I have to agree with Quadra that fragmentation is hurting the Android experience.

I think hell just froze over.
  • Reply 116 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

The Greater Question Is: Why are you answering a post that was directed solely/specifically to (screen name) Postulant?

I know a few of you in here have multiple AI Identities, but seriously now, have some dignity -

Members like anantksundaram and mouse simply try to invoke a reaction and then go and cry wolf to the moderators. Its like a little game with them.
  • Reply 117 of 152
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

If you using an internet-based test your bottle neck is likely going to AT&T?s U-Verse. There are ways to check your LAN speeds, but I don?t know if any of them work with the iOS.
  • Reply 118 of 152
    Quote:

I have the advantage of working for IBM. Most of the stuff I get I simply ask for, its one of the perks of being oncall 24x7 and having 20+ years with the same company.

Right now IBM at least in the Southeast works with both Verizon and Sprint. I believe we get a 25% discount from each with it comes to the plan. Not sure what we pay for the hardware. Sprint is always an option for me and we switch back and forth between Verizon and ATT depending on who outbids who at the time.

My department got iPad as management awards when they first came out so I got that for free and I just pay for the data plan.

Ahh... I understand-- when we owned the computer stores, we got freebees of all the latest whatever... great to be in that position!

I worked for IBM DPD 1963-1980 (Riverside, Las Vegas, Des Plaines, Tucson, Palo Alto). The most I ever got was a 300 baud modem (in an oak box) that rented for $79 per month (so I could run APL on a 2740 terminal), and A HP programmable calculator when I was in the Palo Alto Systems Center...

...Got lotsa' raises, awards, and some neat trips, tho!

In those, early days, you could deduct 10% of your gross pay to accumulate in a stock purchase plan... but the stock price was raising so fast, it was difficult to catch up!

Great Company! IBM had about 450,000 employees when I left.

• Reply 119 of 152
    Quote:

I believe 10.88 using Uverse is about right. If I remember correctly Uverse is about 12mbps unless you upgrade to their 22mbps. At least that is what is offered here in Atlanta.

I have 30mb service with Charter and I get on average 28-30mb on my iPad so if you have 12mb service with uverse your iPad is taking full advantage of your broadband.

I use a linksys E3000 dual band router.
  • Reply 120 of 152
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Here's the faster of 4 tests on my iP4.

They were all over 10 mb download and 1.41 upload.

Notice: only 2 bars-- must be the superior iP4 antenna that delivers decent speeds with only 2 bars

Distance from the router didn't seem to make a difference!

Thanks for reinforcing what everyone already knows: San Francisco networks are outdated.