Apple's iPod refresh pegged for for mid-September - rumor

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
While Apple's still-unannounced iPod-centric keynote is seen as an inevitability, when the company will actually hold the annual event remains unknown. One new report suggests it will take place in mid-September.

Citing "several sources," Kara Swisher of BoomTown reported Wednesday that Apple's upcoming event will be held "possibly closer to mid-September this time." That's in contrast to recent rumors that suggested Apple could hold an event as early as this month.

Regardless, that Apple will hold an event soon to introduce new iPods is accepted as a forgone conclusion, as the hardware maker has introduced new media players around this time every year since 2005. Last year's media event, where the iPod nano with a video camera and FM tuner was announced, was held on a Wednesday, Sept. 9.

Apple typically does not give a long lead time ahead of the events, either. Last year, the company did not inform the press of the Sept. 9 "Let's Rock" keynote, presided over by Chief Executive Steve Jobs, until Aug. 31.

Speculation and rumors suggest that the biggest announcement this year will be a major update to the iPod touch, adding two cameras and a high-resolution Retina Display, like are found on the iPhone 4.

Apple may have even tipped its hand earlier this summer when it said it would ship millions of devices compatible with the FaceTime video chat protocol, suggesting that the new iPod touch will feature a forward-facing camera. Currently, only the iPhone 4 is capable of FaceTime calls over Wi-Fi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple typically does not give a long lead time ahead of the events, either. Last year, the company did not inform the press of the Sept. 9 "Let's Rock" keynote, presided over by Chief Executive Steve Jobs, until Aug. 31.

Nine days isn't so bad, is it? What is the typical lead time on press event invitations?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Of course it will be in mid-September. Apple's "Buy a Mac, get a free iPod" program for students ends on Sept. 7, 2010. There is zero chance of an iPod refresh before the 8th of Sept.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Was2Be View Post

Of course it will be in mid-September. Apple's "Buy a Mac, get a free iPod" program for students ends on Sept. 7, 2010. There is zero chance of an iPod refresh before the 8th of Sept.

I think they've done it before, the new models were specifically excluded from the promotion. They might have decided it wasn't worth it, and just delay the presentation from then on.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Sorry, but saying "apple to hold an iPod keynote in mid September" [Like every other year!] is hardly a rumor.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    iguesssoiguessso Posts: 132member
    Quote:

Apple may have even tipped its hand earlier this summer when it said it would ship millions of devices compatible with the FaceTime video chat protocol, suggesting that the new iPod touch will feature a forward-facing camera. Currently, only the iPhone 4 is capable of FaceTime calls over Wi-Fi.

Um, haven't they already shipped millions of iPhone 4s?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    My revised predictions:

The shuffle will probably get a complete overhaul - I'm guessing it will gain a screen and be marketed as a clip-on badge for wearing digital photo's and album art with very minimal touch screen navigation. I can see them reducing the colour choices to basic silver to emphasize personalisation through the album art. It could have a slightly larger surface area than the second gen shuffle and be as thin as the screen and headphone jack allow.

iPod nano swaps the scroll wheel for a back (home) button and gains touch functionality but maintains a similar menu system that it currently has to differentiate it from the iPod touch. The screen curves so it is flush with the glass surface. Apple uses the millimeters it gains behind the screen to improve the camera and allow low resolution stills.

iPod touch gets front and back camera and a redesigned enclosure. Maximum capacity upped to 128GB. Retina display is deemed too expensive for this update. Clever game developers start using partial obscuring of the front camera as a way of simulating a directional analog stick without covering portions of the screen.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    smarkysmarky Posts: 75member
    Hmm I hope it's as soon as possible, I want to get my girlfriend an iPod for her Birthday which is on the 20th of September, want to get one engraved from the Apple website. Be dead annoying if i have to get a current generation one for the sake of a few days.

Looking at getting a Nano, which probs won't change that much anyways, but it might.