Advertisers, developers say Apple's iAd blows away competing ads

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Users who viewed Nissan's Leaf electric car Apple iAd spent 90 seconds with the interactive advertisement -- ten times longer than customers will spend with a traditional ad.

Based on those figures, Nissan has been very happy with the initial performance of Apple's iAd network, launched in July. The car maker spoke with the Los Angeles Times and revealed that people are five times more likely to click their interactive advertisement than they are a traditional online display ad.

"We feel pretty strongly that this is the way to capitalize on where the mobile Web is heading," Chad Jacoby, senior manager of Nissan's media operations, reportedly said. "What iAd promises is the most aggressive thing I've seen to date."

Unilever, maker of Dove shower products, said its initial advertisement proved to be successful, with 20 percent of viewers checking the ad multiple times, and a percentage in the double digits seeking further information about the product. Unilever now plans to launch a second iAd for another product line it owns, Klondike.

Following the success of initial advertisers, more companies are set to join the fray, with Campbell Soup, DirecTV, General Electric and Sears said to be working on their own iAds. Those companies will help Apple to take up more than half of the mobile advertising market in 2010, as the company has secured more than $60 million over the next six months.

Developers, too, have found success with the new iAd platform. Dictionary.com told the Times that the amount it charges for ad space in its mobile advertisement increased 177 percent since Apple launched iAds. In addition, CBS Mobile has seen up to $25 CPM (an advertising term that means cost per thousand) in its applications for CBS Sports, CNet and GameSpot.

iAds aim to provide richly interactive ad experiences inside developers' apps, providing them a 60 percent cut of the advertising revenue. The hope is the advertisements -- noted by the iAd logo in the corner -- will be more compelling to users, because they don't have to leave their app and launch a browser to view them.

iAd advertisements act more like full-blown applications, complete with features like videos, interactive games, and the ability to find information such as local stores or product availability.

Apple plans to use iAd as a program to incentivize App Store development, and does not expect to turn a great profit from its new advertising business, made possible due to the purchase of Quattro Wireless for $275 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    I dislike ads in general, but I understand that they underpin/subsidize many kinds of media content. So long as they are not intrusive and help developers make a living writing apps (for cheap), then this is good news.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Actually when Ads are properly targetted to me then I really don't mind them. It's only like my being signed up to see items from my favourite sellers on ebay, getting a regular update of offers from the online electronics shops I've used before by email or following certain companies on Twitter.

As a price to pay for 'free' websites/iApps it's fine by me. But I'd always want to see a paid/no ad option too.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Are iAds still a novelty? Perhaps once they're ubiquitous, nobody will click on them anymore.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    winstwinst Posts: 26member
    So far, I've only seen Nissan and Dove, do they even have anyone else?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Are iAds still a novelty? Perhaps once they're ubiquitous, nobody will click on them anymore.

If they're as entertaining as the Nissan ad, then they will. People continued to enjoy Mac vs PC ads long aftereveryone got the point.

I don't mind ads but the ones that have been on the Internet have been less than stellar.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Now if we can just get all those Geico commercials off my TV then maybe I'll get in the mood to watch some other ad. Really, I can't get to the mute button fast enough when I see one coming. I used to be a Geico customer but their ads actually drove me AWAY from their company.

Kinda off-topic I know, but the subject is still ads.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Now if we can just get all those Geico commercials off my TV then maybe I'll get in the mood to watch some other ad. Really, I can't get to the mute button fast enough when I see one coming. I used to be a Geico customer but their ads actually drove me AWAY from their company.

I know what you mean. Back when I lived in the UK, the "celebrity" chef Jamie Oliver started advertising for the supermarket Sainsbury's, and I started shopping elsehwere since I hate him so much.

Advertising is a difficult game!
  • Reply 8 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Google, RIM, HP and Microsoft are now hard at work trying to copy all this as per usual.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Any online store will tell you that chances of people using a Mac browsing your site and eventually buying something is much higher than people on windows.

In fact conversion rate on the iPad is even higher.

If there is an iAds equivalent on Android or anywhere else probably won't work as well.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:

Amen. I think out of the gazillion GEICO ads, I've seen one that I enjoyed. The gecko talking about free pie and chips. I flat out want to kill the cave man. And that stupid guy that tries not to look at the camera. "Is Too Tall Jones, too tall"? Smack him around the head and shoulders.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Amen. I think out of the gazillion GEICO ads, I've seen one that I enjoyed. The gecko talking about free pie and chips. I flat out want to kill the cave man. And that stupid guy that tries not to look at the camera. "Is Too Tall Jones, too tall"? Smack him around the head and shoulders.

Geico must be loving the fact they made sufficient impact to annoy or entertain you guys, it's a win win for them that you are even mentioning them.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Google, eat your heart out! This is sure the future. Everyone dislikes pop-up ads, especially one that takes you out your page or app.

Apple will again redefine mobile ads. And that is a good thing.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    I think iAds are cool, but Apple says that iAds keep the user inside the app.... well most of the AdMob ads when clicked just slide up a new browser window which can be closed at any time, with your app right behind it. So its not any different than the iAd structuure, just better looking- I'm just saying.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turboredmr2 View Post

I think iAds are cool, but Apple says that iAds keep the user inside the app.... well most of the AdMob ads when clicked just slide up a new browser window which can be closed at any time, with your app right behind it. So its not any different than the iAd structuure, just better looking- I'm just saying.

Which AdMob ads? All the ones I've clicked on (90% of them accidentally) have taken me completely out of the app and to the browser, which then opens up a rather primitive text ad with a picture thrown in for good measure. Maybe AdMob is changing, tough, and I just haven't noticed yet since I try not to click on most ads.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    I still yet to see one iAD in th UK. Given the story above, can only think of two in the state as well. Has it started yet? Or maybe I'm just not fit to their targeted market all I see in my app are ads from AdMob and one other I can't remember the name.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    iAds are created with html5 so I'd assume any platform that uses webkit (eg Android, WebOS and Blackberry OS 6) or has a fully compliant browser should also be able to display them. I suspect the cool app-like-adverts will soon be seen on all platforms and all ad systems, not just iOS and iAd. AdMob might take you out of the app into a browser but the adverts should still display fine.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Google, RIM, HP and Microsoft are now hard at work trying to copy all this as per usual.

+1

(5 chars)
  • Reply 18 of 40
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:

You're joking right? iAds are barely out of the starting bloc so yeah...they are still a novelty
  • Reply 19 of 40
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Quote:

You let a company's ADS drive you away? WOW! What the hell kind of person does that? Personally I think NORMAL people would judge a company by it's service and NOT some stupid TV ad...
  • Reply 20 of 40
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Looks cool! I can't wait for Google to pee all over it by releasing an almost-exact copy and have their fans claim it was Google's idea first!