Apple seeds second beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5 with no known issues

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday seeded the latest beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5, its forthcoming security and maintenance update for the Snow Leopard operating system, with no known issues.

People familiar with the latest beta, dubbed 10H529, said Apple has asked developers to focus on 3D graphics, Mail, printing, QuickTime, and the X Windows X11 subsystems. The Delta Update is reportedly a 558MB download.

Apple already publicly released an update for the current version of its operating system, Mac OS X 10.6.4, this week in the form of the Snow Leopard Graphics Update. It improved performance in some popular game titles developed by Valve by as much as 120 percent.

The latest beta comes just 6 days after the previous build, 10H525, was seeded to developers. Apple was originally expected to begin seeding the first 10.6.5 builds to developers in July.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 was released in mid-June, packing fixes for trackpads on Apple's notebook computers, and also addressing issues with Adobe's Creative Suite 3. It also included Safari 5, Apple's latest Web browser.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The first one with no known issues? That means only 8 more betas and 2.5 months before it goes live.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The first one with no known issues? That means only 8 more betas and 2.5 months before it goes live.

Well seeing this topic isn't all that interesting wanted to know what you thought of this deal. I was thinking of jumping on this even though the new MBP 17" is rather nice this seemed like it might be worth jumping on.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0314209
  • Reply 3 of 27
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I really hope the Quick Look bug that would prevent cover art from being shown in the Finder gets fixed!
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Thursday seeded the latest beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5, its forthcoming security and maintenance update for the Snow Leopard operating system, with no known issues.

People familiar with the latest beta, dubbed 10H529, said Apple has asked developers to focus on 3D graphics, Mail, printing, QuickTime, and the X Windows X11 subsystems. The Delta Update is reportedly a 558MB download.

Has anyone verified that the rules window no longer overflows off the bottom of the screen taking with it the control buttons when 25 or more rules are used?

This problem has existed since OSX 10.4

Jim
  • Reply 5 of 27
    How about my MBP i7 no longer recognizing my iPod video? Tried reinstalling iTunes, using app zapper to wipe out the install of iTunes, rebooting, CMD+OPT+P+R, nothing works. It's recognized by Finder, but not iTunes. Console says "Trying to set an iPods time, although I have no client".

My iPhone still works. The iPod is recognized on iTunes in Windows. Is there a fix for that? Seems to be a USB problem to me?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

Has anyone verified that the rules window no longer overflows off the bottom of the screen taking with it the control buttons when 25 or more rules are used?

Jim

OMG. I didn't know someone else noticed that. When I saw it years ago I figured that a bug like that was so far down Apple's "fix list" that it wasn't worth the trouble notifying them about it. Anyway, I'm not sure that Apple gives a rip or listens about a normal users bug finds.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Is there a way for a normal person to get these bug releases?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    No, and that's the point.

Apple wants developers to test the beta and report back. Joe Consumer isn't interested in providing feedback, generally doesn't provide descriptively useful bug reports, and really shouldn't be inflicted with buggy software (relatively speaking).

If you really want access to these betas, sign up as a developer. Otherwise, just wait for the released version.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarineCorpsVet View Post

Is there a way for a normal person to get these bug releases?

Become a Mac Developer. It's $100'ish a year but not worth it for just access to beta releases. There's no good way to back them out when they cause issues.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I really hope the Quick Look bug that would prevent cover art from being shown in the Finder gets fixed!

Haven't heard of this one, no such issue here...
  • Reply 11 of 27
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

How about my MBP i7 no longer recognizing my iPod video? Tried reinstalling iTunes, using app zapper to wipe out the install of iTunes, rebooting, CMD+OPT+P+R, nothing works. It's recognized by Finder, but not iTunes. Console says "Trying to set an iPods time, although I have no client".

My iPhone still works. The iPod is recognized on iTunes in Windows. Is there a fix for that? Seems to be a USB problem to me?

Go see a genius
  • Reply 12 of 27
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

I remember having the same problem with a 17" MBP at work. Even XCode wouldn't recognize an iPod touch plugged into it.

I think the problem disappeared after installing a MBP specific software update.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well seeing this topic isn't all that interesting wanted to know what you thought of this deal. I was thinking of jumping on this even though the new MBP 17" is rather nice this seemed like it might be worth jumping on.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0314209

I have not done business with Microcenter, but they have been around for quite some time. Twenty years ago, it was MEI Microcenter, and they sold tons of floppy discs.

Looks like an in-store only deal though.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarineCorpsVet View Post

OMG. I didn't know someone else noticed that. When I saw it years ago I figured that a bug like that was so far down Apple's "fix list" that it wasn't worth the trouble notifying them about it. Anyway, I'm not sure that Apple gives a rip or listens about a normal users bug finds.

This bug has been bugging me since I became a Mac fan boy two years ago. I really, really want this problem gone.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Haven't heard of this one, no such issue here...

Interesting. I do not have any add ons or anything else on my system that would prevent this, just noticed the feature stopped working after I installed 10.6.4!
  • Reply 16 of 27
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    I want a modern version of SMB!
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satcomer View Post

I want a modern version of SMB!

Hear, hear!
  • Reply 18 of 27
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimoase View Post

Jim

Get a grip, Jim. More than 25 rules? Who does that? Apple Mail can be taught to recognize your spam. It works great without all those extra rules.

I just can't see why you need so many. Certainly this won't be anywhere near a priority in Cupertino...

EDIT: Okay, "get a grip" may be harsh, and if it's a bug it should be fixed. But maybe this is a feature. 25 is a nice round number. You might be getting urged to find another way of filtering.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    OS X momentum seems to be building up since iPhone 4 came out.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Get a grip, Jim. More than 25 rules? Who does that? Apple Mail can be taught to recognize your spam. It works great without all those extra rules.

I just can't see why you need so many. Certainly this won't be anywhere near a priority in Cupertino...

EDIT: Okay, "get a grip" may be harsh, and if it's a bug it should be fixed. But maybe this is a feature. 25 is a nice round number. You might be getting urged to find another way of filtering.

So, you're going with the "don't hold it that way" response, huh?

Seriously, if you get a lot of email, and not just junk mail, 25 rules does not sound like too many to me.