Apple sends out invitations for Sept. 1 'special event'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday invited members of the media to its annual media-centric keynote, where it is expected to introduce new iPods and an updated Apple TV, set for Sept. 1 in San Francisco, Calif.

The event will be held next Wednesday and will start at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern, and will be held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. Alluding to the music-themed nature of the event, the invitation includes an acoustic guitar with a sound hole in the shape of an Apple logo.

The announcement dispels an earlier report that the event would be held on Sept. 7.

In recent days, a firestorm of rumors and speculation have centered around a supposed new Apple TV, perhaps dubbed iTV, starting at $99. Both Bloomberg and The New York Times have cited anonymous sources as stating that Apple is currently negotiating with content providers to offer 99 cent TV episode rentals.

However, Apple reportedly does not intend to make the new Apple TV the centerpiece of its announcement, as sources said Chief Executive Steve Jobs doesn't expect the device to be an instant mainstream hit. Instead, Apple is allegedly looking to improve its product, which it has long referred to as a "hobby," by transitioning it to the iOS operating system and giving it access to the App Store for content and games.

Apple is also expected to reveal a new iPod touch with a forward facing camera that will allow FaceTime video chat, as is currently available on the iPhone 4. There have been numerous leaked parts alleged to be from Apple's forthcoming portable media player that show a space in the device's front panel for a camera.

While the iPod touch lacks a phone number to allow people to connect for a FaceTime call, beta releases of iOS 4.1 show that the media player will identify users by their e-mail address. Jobs said earlier this summer that his company will ship tens of millions of devices compatible with FaceTime this year alone. Currently, only the iPhone 4 is capable of making FaceTime video chat calls over Wi-Fi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    sirromsirrom Posts: 32member
    * opens wallet and looks to see what's still there *
  • Reply 2 of 103
    I wonder what are the chances that the Back to School deal will cover the new iPod Touch. The opposite circumstance is that Apple immediately discontinues the 32GB third gen iPod Touch that is the minimum I want with the Back to School deal. I'm not sure if I should wait to find out either way.
  • Reply 3 of 103
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    iTV release before the fall season lineup?
  • Reply 4 of 103
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I wonder what are the chances that the Back to School deal will cover the new iPod Touch. The opposite circumstance is that Apple immediately discontinues the 32GB third gen iPod Touch that is the minimum I want with the Back to School deal. I'm not sure if I should wait to find out either way.

The chances of the back to school deal including the new iPod touch are precisely zero. The new one probably won't ship for at least a week after the event.
  • Reply 5 of 103
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I wonder what are the chances that the Back to School deal will cover the new iPod Touch.

The chances are zero. The Back To School deal never includes the new hardware.

They've had these overlaps before; you buy into the deal and you get the 3rd generation iPod touch. It's a good way for them to deplete existing inventory of the older product.
  • Reply 6 of 103
    I hope there's mention of the iPad mini or at least the new iPad iOS release date.
  • Reply 7 of 103
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    iLife '11 with iOS hooks. (just looking at the invite!)
  • Reply 8 of 103
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

iTV release before the fall season lineup?

somehow I doubt apple TV or iTV (or whatever name it might be) will be there.
  • Reply 9 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

I hope there's mention of the iPad mini or at least the new iPad iOS release date.

don't hold your breath for an 'ipad mini'

current ipad is flying off the shelves. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Reply 10 of 103
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Samsung must be fuming to have its thunder stolen, as it is planning to launch its Android tablet on Sept 2:

http://www.ankleskater.com/pagemaker...20100825143100
  • Reply 11 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

iLife '11 with iOS hooks. (just looking at the invite!)

Yep.

Guitar = Garageband '11
  • Reply 12 of 103
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    something which will change everything, again: the iGuitar.
  • Reply 13 of 103
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I hope they release a more expensive version of the new Apple TV with a decent amount of storage as well as the $99 one, for those of us that already have loads of movies within iTunes and don't want to leave their computers on for the unit to stream from constantly.
  • Reply 14 of 103
    YES PLEASE. I would adore multitasking on my iPad soon. Oh, and Garage Band/ iLife would be fantastic also. Maybe Jam Packs will come included?... Wow I just realized that paying for college is harder when also paying for Apple products. Time to find a job! (at an Apple store hopefully)
  • Reply 15 of 103
    The guitar in invitation reminds me the rumor about a new app in iLife.

As, new iPods and iTVs receiving all the attention, Apple wants the blogosphere to get into another round of rumor round-up, this time including scoops about this new app.
  • Reply 16 of 103

As, new iPods and iTVs receiving all the attention, Apple wants the blogosphere to get into another round of rumor round-up, this time including scoops about this new app.
  • Reply 17 of 103
    and the stock goes on up...
  • Reply 18 of 103
    Since I haven't seen a new beta of iOS 4.1, I doubt it will be ready for next week. The latest one has serious memory leaks.
  • Reply 19 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Sorry for double post. My bad
  • Reply 20 of 103
    i want to see there new device they might show, i hope its not a new iphone because that would be messed up