CDMA inventor Qualcomm seeks 'iPhone developer guru'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Qualcomm, which has long been rumored to supply a CDMA chipset to Apple for a Verizon-compatible iPhone, is looking to hire an "iPhone Developer Guru" for a "secret" project.

"The iPhone has no secret for you?" the job listing posted earlier this month reads. "Well, that's what you think... join us and develop the most challenging product of your life!"

Qualcomm built the first CDMA-based cellular base station in the early '90s. Today, CDMA is used by a number of carriers around the world, most notably Verizon Wireless in the U.S. Recent rumors have suggested that Apple is eyeing an early 2011 launch for a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone.

In addition to creating CDMA chips, Qualcomm also works to ensure that mobile platforms run well with the company's wireless technology. For example, it has an established Android Team at Qualcomm Innovation Center, a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated, that aims to make Google's mobile operating system run better on the company's chipsets.

Ajay Dudani, staff engineer and manager at the Innovation Center, admitted earlier this year that many people do not understand Qualcomm's role in the industry. He talked about how he works to optimize Android for Qualcomm's hardware.

"At a very high level, our software teams work to get Android platform running optimally on Qualcomm chipsets in terms of power, performance and new features," he said. "We are also responsible for bringing up the Android platform on new chipsets, making sure our software ports are up to date with the latest public releases of the Android platform and helping ensure compatibility to avoid fragmentation."

Qualcomm's role in improving software performance on its hardware may shed light on why the CDMA chipset is looking to hire an iPhone software developer. Currently, under the company's list of supported OS platforms, only Windows Phone, Android and Brew Mobile Platform are listed. The Qualcom Developer Network also only offers support for those three platforms.

It's also possible, however, that Qualcomm is looking to hire for another software-based venture, such as its FLO TV mobile video platform. This year the company partnered with Mophie to release a case that brought FLO TV to the iPhone and iPod touch. But Qualcomm is also shopping for a buyer for the unprofitable FLO TV.

Qualcomm's job application does note that it is looking for a candidate that has been "exposed to application or game development on mobile for years," and seeks an employee who has experience with wide ranging skills including Objective C and Xcode, UI design, and file, network and socket programming.

Rumors of a deal between Qualcomm and Apple have existed for months, and are always connected with a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone. The iPhone currently relies on chipsets from Infineon for its 3G HSDPA network access.

Numerous reports have claimed that Apple has already built and is testing a CDMA iPhone, code-named N92, that would run on the Verizon network. IT is said that the hardware is in the engineering verification test phase, which is two steps away from full-fledged production.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    NOW I'm ready to believe Verizon iPhone rumors.

My guess is that there was some sort of deal struck for mass production, and now these guys need to optimize apple's software for their chips. I would put ETA on about early to mid 2011. Kind of exciting.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

NOW I'm ready to believe Verizon iPhone rumors.

My guess is that there was some sort of deal struck for mass production, and now these guys need to optimize apple's software for their chips. I would put ETA on about early to mid 2011. Kind of exciting.

I'm not. It's QUALCOMM, not Verizon.

QUALCOMM bulk of carrier numbers is outside the US. More importantly, they are talking about a future project [ala 18-24 months away].

Quote:

Qualcomm is the inventor of the wireless CDMA standard, used by a number of carriers around the world, most notably Verizon Wireless in the U.S. Recent rumors have suggested that Apple is eyeing an early 2011 launch for a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone.

This is speculation, by Appleinsider.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Goodbye Android.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

Goodbye Android.

Oh! why's that? Just because of this seeking?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Get the facts staright Qualcomm is not CDMA inventor. It owns US patent for CDMA as it got it in a sneaky way. The history of CDMA invention is from WWII.

This is similar to the situation of first flight - no it was not Wright and no it was not on dunes of Kitty Hawk. It was in Connecticut almost two years before Wright by Whitehead and it was not some 800 feet jump but real flight for miles with monoplane.

Stop lying yourself at last!

(An Euro in the USA)
  • Reply 6 of 33
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Goodbye Android.

first: i LOVE Apple. i'm a fanboy. my family has 3 macbook pros, two iPhones, two iMacs, a MacMini, god only knows how many iPods [there are earbuds and chargers EVERYWHERE], airports, time capsules, MobileMe accounts etc. there's an Apple IIgs being used as a CLOCK in our living room.

second: posts like the one quoted above are ridiculous. Apple will never NEVER EVER take down Android. some people like Steak, others like Sushi. understand it. realize it. accept it.

understand that FOR SOME PEOPLE, the android OS is BETTER.

living in a dream world where everything everywhere is apple and everything else is garbage [or dead and gone] is narrow minded and foolish.

[can you tell i'm having a bad day?]

after locking in with ATT for a couple more years with our IP4's, i can't wait for apple to expand to CDMA... it can only boost my AAPL shares.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Goodbye Android.

Remarkable how one guru working for Qualcomm is expected to bring down Android!
  • Reply 8 of 33
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

posts like the one quoted above are ridiculous. Apple will never NEVER EVER take down Android. some people like Steak, others like Sushi. understand it. realize it. accept it.

understand that FOR SOME PEOPLE, the android OS is BETTER.

living in a dream world where everything everywhere is apple and everything else is garbage [or dead and gone] is narrow minded and foolish.

A CDMA iPhone won't destroy Android, but it will hurt it. Lots of people get a Droid because they won't move to AT&T. If the carrier isn't the huge negative to getting an iPhone, many more people will choose that instead of Android.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

..it can only boost my AAPL shares.

AND its market share..
  • Reply 10 of 33
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

first: i LOVE Apple. i'm a fanboy...

Good for you. Me too.

Quote:

... Apple will never NEVER EVER take down Android. ...

Correct. Oracle's lawsuit will take down Android. Clear Java non-compliance. Android software will be "impounded and destroyed."

Depending on how much time the judge gives Google to get rid of all traces of Android, Apple should finally get their chance to take huge chunks of Android's Verizon customer base. Especially if a Verizon phone is launched in 2011. (Realistically, Apple will likely release iPhones with the various flavors of CDMA used in China first, where there are hundreds of millions of CDMA subscribers on three networks to sell into.)
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Correct. Oracle's lawsuit will take down Android. Clear Java non-compliance. Android software will be "impounded and destroyed."

This is the first I'm hearing of such a lawsuit. Could you explain what that's actually about? What precisely are they trying to sue over and what chance do they have of winning?
  • Reply 12 of 33
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

This is the first I'm hearing of such a lawsuit. Could you explain what that's actually about? What precisely are they trying to sue over and what chance do they have of winning?

Android uses java language syntax, but does not abide by the terms for licensing the java platform.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Correct. Oracle's lawsuit will take down Android.

that lawsuit is a bit off-topic, but i'll bite.

literally minutes after praising the open-source community, Oracle sues Google for using their open-source software. I'm not a lawyer in the case, so i don't know the specifics, and Google DOES have some closed-door profit centers and preferred vendor release dates, but the fact is they do NOT charge anyone to use Android.

if Oracle wins this lawsuit, who's going to use Java, MySQL, or any of their other tech?

"go ahead! it's open-source... but if you create successful software we will sue you"
  • Reply 14 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Get the facts staright Qualcomm is not CDMA inventor. It owns US patent for CDMA as it got it in a sneaky way. The history of CDMA invention is from WWII.

Actually, CDMA was not invented in/during WWII. Spread spectrum patents issued during WWII are used as the basis for CDMA.

Quote:

(An Euro in the USA)

That would be "A Euro in the USA" not "An Euro..."
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Firstly, Qualcomm does not just make "CDMA" chips. They also make HSPA, HSPA+, combo chips, etc. In fact one of the Windows smartphones I had that ran on AT&T had a "Qualcomm" sticker on it! I'm in the wireless business and it's not as black and white as everyone is making this issue.

It's just as likely that they're looking to sell an LTE/HSPA/GSM combo chipset to Apple for AT&T, or T-Mobile, as it is that this is anything to do with EVDO/CDMA or Verizon.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Actually, CDMA was not invented in/during WWII. Spread spectrum patents issued during WWII are used as the basis for CDMA.

"

You are confusing the Qualcomm products (CDMA-One, CDMA2000 etc) with the channel access method (CDMA)
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You are confusing the Qualcomm products (CDMA-One, CDMA2000 etc) with the channel access method (CDMA)

No and I never mentioned Qualcomm.

CDMA (Code Division Multiple Acess) is a type of Channel Access Method.

CDMA-One and CDMA2000 are different versions/iterations of CDMA developed by Qualcomm.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    i'm not as savvy to the phone chipsets as maybe i'd like to be - but i have a couple of users at work using laptops that use qualcomm gobi chips for their data service.

these radios support cdma and gsm on the same device. in fact, you can have multiple subscriptions on the same device for different carriers so you are never without connectivity.

my question to those more knowledgeable than me is - why not do the same thing in a voice handset and have one platform for the world? yes, some extra cost - but - single reference design.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

CDMA-One and CDMA2000 are different versions/iterations of CDMA developed by Qualcomm.

They aren't different versions of it, CDMA-One uses CDMA as the channel access method
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

They aren't different versions of it, CDMA-One uses CDMA as the channel access method

cdmaOne was developed by Qualcomm and uses CDMA. CDMA is a broad term and was around a long time before cell phones (and cdmaOne, which is digital cell phone standard).

But whatever...