USA Today plans 'radical' overhaul to focus on devices like iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Have you tried the NPR app for the iPad? Other news providers could do far worse than to simply copy their presentation, or a least build off it.

Yes, NPR is an outstanding app. Brilliantly implemented.
  • Reply 42 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The impression of knowledge without real understanding -- it's what most people seem to want anyway.

Sad but true... the appearance of wealth (in our cars, in our homes). The appearance of knowledge (in our conversations with others). The appearance of leadership (in our government ). It's what we want. Such laziness!
  • Reply 43 of 115
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, NPR is an outstanding app. Brilliantly implemented.

I still don't get why every source needs their own app though. Wish Apple had made a nice news app or browser plugin that supported offline content.
  • Reply 44 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

At first I thought you were being serious, then you mentioned Glenn Beck so I knew you were having a laugh. Then again, you do sound like his target audience.

Is the disdain because he is a "conservative" commentator or something else?

Serious question as I have never listened to him nor read any works by him. I do have a fiction book authored by him but have not yet read it.
  • Reply 45 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Serious question as I have never listened to him nor read any works by him. I do have a fiction book authored by him but have not yet read it.

He pretends to be conservative, but he?s really just an entertainer, for lack of a better term, looking for ratings without trying to any credible argument or news. He constantly contradicts himself as needed, which is pretty funny when The Daily Show writess piece his rants together. But that likely helps his ratings.

I?m all for conservative values if that suits you, but I am not for those using the media to twist the facts to suit their political agenda. But I will not get into that here. I?d like to stick with the comedic aspects of politics in the media (if possible).

Here are some hilarious clips from The Daily Show about Glenn Beck?
    PS: Mods, if this crossing a line feel free to delete my post.
  • Reply 46 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Glenn Beck is a fearmonger cashing in.

Fox "news" is headed by George H.W. Bush's cousin. They've been caught distorting the news to fit their narrative many times. Cable news and especially fox will ruin ones ability to think.
  • Reply 47 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Yeah right. How many iPad owners had to put down their shiny new glass tools and grab a real computer to watch the Glenn Beck festival in Washington? No flash, no deal.

Screw the Apple walled garden.

I don't believe that most iPad owners would even care about Beck's 'Restoring White to America' rally. Most Americans, for that matter.
  • Reply 48 of 115
    Honestly, smart move for them. Maybe they can be the Angry Birds of news apps :P
  • Reply 49 of 115
    When you read the actual article this story refers to it turns out that USA Today isn't abandoning the nearly 2 billion people who have computers to focus on iPad owners at all.

On the contrary, the shift is merely about focusing on all types of electronic devices rather than print, which is pretty much what the industry as a whole is doing.

Being an Apple-centric site of course we expect AI to try to find the Apple-centric spin on any story it reports. But really, this one screams of desperation.
  • Reply 50 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

They've been caught distorting the news to fit their narrative many times.

As if those icons of yellow journalism at CNN/ABC/CBS/NBC are any different...
  • Reply 51 of 115
    skipaqskipaq Posts: 17member
    A news item about USA's business decision gets derailed into a discussion of how dare Apple take away my 'Flash' choice and then a referendum on Glen Beck. Most of these comments are without factual basis to boot. Beck is more of a Libertarian than a conservative. His show is not a news show but an opinion show intended to entertain. I haven't watched a lot of Beck but he does have a fairly large audience. The fact that he has become a favorite target for some liberal comedians does show that he is having success. If you have never or hardly watched his show then your view of what he has to say is slanted by what others say about his message.
  • Reply 52 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

<snip> I?m all for conservative values if that suits you, but I am not for those using the media to twist the facts to suit their political agenda. <snip> I?d like to stick with the comedic aspects of politics in the media (if possible).

This is interesting. Have you watched a week straight of Glenn Beck on Fox News? How many shows of Glenn Beck in real time have you watched (full episodes)? Anything (complete episodes) recent from his show at all?
  • Reply 53 of 115
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

That is not Gannett's way. Many of the 130 people cut will be content creators, otherwise known as reporters and editors, without whom the iPad will display more blank story templates. Oh, wait, they'll be displaying iAds for the companies in the few stories that remain.

I worked for a Gannett paper. These "massive restructurings" occur every few years when a new person with an exciting theory of organization from business school decides that the news operation is all wrong. The result is always the same: Fewer people find and report news, more people "present" it. That, even more than the shift away from paper, will kill newspapers, because there has to be news to read whatever the delivery medium.

That's sad then.
  • Reply 54 of 115
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by john galt View Post

As if those icons of yellow journalism at CNN/ABC/CBS/NBC are any different...

They may be far from perfect news stations but they are a hell of a lot better than the distortion and propaganda machine on Fox with Ben Gleck and co who I suspect are on the Koch payrol. The terrifying thing is over a fifth of this country believe everything they say!
  • Reply 55 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Talon8472 View Post

This is interesting. Have you watched a week straight of Glenn Beck on Fox News? How many shows of Glenn Beck in real time have you watched (full episodes)? Anything (complete episodes) recent from his show at all?

Sure have (and other Fox News programs, but that's because they have so many hot reporters) and his shtick is fearmongering and rabble-rousing appealing to bigoted middle America under a thinly veiled guise of concern.
  • Reply 56 of 115
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Yeah right. How many iPad owners had to put down their shiny new glass tools and grab a real computer to watch the Glenn Beck festival in Washington? No flash, no deal.

Screw the Apple walled garden.

Makes me sad to see someone who can't grasp the very basic, very clear, easily understandable market that the iPad is aimed at. Even more sad that someone defines a 'real' computer by it's facility to run an outdated proprietary software plug in that has yet to be successfully run in ANY mobile device.

Furthermore, It's extremely sad that some people don't understand that it's the job of any professional content provider to embed their content in an accessible way with alternative embedded techniques for the whole web audience, including those who choose not to run flash as it is not usable by those who are physically disabled.

What's next Blackintosh - Complaining that you can't edit HD video on a calculator..? There are different tools for different jobs. Buy the right tool and - amazingly - it will do what it's designed to do. If it doesn't, then you can complain. If you bought an ipad to view flash content, yr stupid. If you don't own an ipad, then you have no basis for your constant, repetitive babble.
  • Reply 57 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Makes me sad to see someone who can't grasp the very basic, very clear, easily understandable market that the iPad is aimed at. Even more sad that someone defines a 'real' computer by it's facility to run an outdated proprietary software plug in that has yet to be successfully run in ANY mobile device.

Furthermore, It's extremely sad that some people don't understand that it's the job of any professional content provider to embed their content in an accessible way with alternative embedded techniques for the whole web audience, including those who choose not to run flash as it is not usable by those who are physically disabled.

What's next Blackintosh - Complaining that you can't edit HD video on a calculator..? There are different tools for different jobs. Buy the right tool and - amazingly - it will do what it's designed to do. If it doesn't, then you can complain. If you bought an ipad to view flash content, yr stupid. If you don't own an ipad, then you have no basis for your constant, repetitive babble.

Okay, let's start at the top. The market the iPad is aimed at is internet and email. You can't see 75 percent (Walt Mossberg's figure) of the internet. Not good.

Flash may be outdated proprietary software but it is needed to visit websites. If you don't have you can't see it.

I never said I wanted to edit HD content. You made that up. But since you mentioned it, why is there iMovie for the phone and not the iPad?

And don't call me stupid or I will have you BANNED. Like I was for name calling. BANNED!!!! BANNED!!!!!
  • Reply 58 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I don't believe that most iPad owners would even care about Beck's 'Restoring White to America' rally. Most Americans, for that matter.

I was using Glenn Peck as an example of a site people might want to visit and cannot because the CEO of Apple has a personal vendetta against the CEO of Adobe.

This is not a political forum. But I must ask: How the heck do you know what most iPad owners care about? Did you take an opinion poll or something? Or do you just "know everything" like everyone else in this forum?

Yeah, that's what I thought.
  • Reply 59 of 115
    Quote:

Okay, let's start at the top. The market the iPad is aimed at is internet and email. You can't see 75 percent (Walt Mossberg's figure) of the internet. Not good.

Flash may be outdated proprietary software but it is needed to visit websites. If you don't have you can't see it.

So you?re interpreting Mossberg?s comment that 75% of the content on the internet can only be seen with Flash? I?d love what kind of slimy argument you muster on that one.

And ?needed?? Surely by some, but there are 100 million iOS users out there that don?t seen to ?need? it, and there are Blackberry, WinMo, Symbian, and Android users that don?t seem to ?need? it as evidenced by the cumulative sales. In fact, it?s seems so uneeded that Adobe still only has Flash for ONE mobile OS platform, and only for ONE version of that OS and not even for all devices that run that OS despite that number already being phenomenally small.

If it was such a requirement then these sales of device with OSes that access the internet and do not have Flash would not have been happening, and yet they are.
  • Reply 60 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I still don't get why every source needs their own app though. Wish Apple had made a nice news app or browser plugin that supported offline content.

Try the app. ootunes (pronounced infinite tunes but you need to type ootunes to find it). Plays just about anything that is streamed on the web regardless of what format it is originally streamed in. By far my favorite app.