Mac OS X version of AutoCAD due out in October

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Autodesk is bringing AutoCAD, its industry standard design software, back to the Mac in October. A free AutoCAD viewer app for iOS is on its way as well.

Autodesk senior vice-president Amar Hanspal told the Financial Times that a Mac OS X version of its flagship software will be released by the end of October. Pricing will remain the same as the Windows version.

?Apple is thrilled that Autodesk is bringing AutoCAD back to the Mac and we think it's the perfect combination for millions of design and engineering professionals,? said Apple senior vice-president of Worldwide Product Marketing Philip Schiller in a news release.

The last time AutoCAD was available on the Mac was in 1992. 13 releases have followed since then, including the current Windows-only Release 25, which was released in March.

The addition of the $4,000 program to the Mac software lineup could help Apple see continued growth in Mac enterprise sales. According to figures from the June quarter, Mac business sales increased 50% year-over-year, compared to 16% growth in the market.

AutoCAD has over 10 million users, many of whom, according to Hanspal, have requested a Mac version of the software.

Hanspal also announced an upcoming iOS application, AutoCAD WS, that will allow users to view and make small modifications to their designs. The app will work on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch.

The iPad's not the only tablet that Autodesk is interested in. "The tablet is becoming an interesting form factor. There are multiple operating systems people are looking at," Hanspal said.

A browser-based limited-function version of AutoCAD is also in development.

In May, screenshots of a Mac OS X beta of AutoCAD were published on an Italian Mac forum, confirming speculation that Autodesk was at work on a Mac OS X release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Im in this beta and I must say its absolutely wonderful! They even optimize the multitouch of the trackpad and the magic mouse very well.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Im in this beta and I must say its absolutely wonderful! They even optimize the multitouch of the trackpad and the magic mouse very well.

I have to admit, I really dislike Autodesk, but this is great news for Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Heh, I saw this and wondered - does this mean I'm not under NDA anymore, now that Autodesk seems to have acknowledged the product?
  • Reply 4 of 61
    I want AutoCAD Architecture and Revit Architecture on my Mac. I'm sure they will be forthcoming. Goodbye Windows forever. Hurrah!!!
  • Reply 5 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'd really like to see what the iOS app looks like. It sounds like the my own personal "killer app" dream for a tablet. Mostly viewing, occasional light changes are a nice bonus. For a drafting app, I just don't see how I can be anywhere nearly as fast on an an iPad as I am on a desktop, even away from a desktop the speed difference would be enough to frustrate me that I'd just sketch the basics at most and wait until I get to the desk to do the heavy work.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Just as AutoCAD is being phased out in favor of REVIT in architecture firms that have a clue. Sure there's a lot of people that use CAD that aren't architects, but putting REVIT out would be a hugggge step in the right direction.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    That aside Autocad is an crazy application. I had a friend teach it to me, but I had no vision for it. As in I could not build anything in 3D and all the tools got me more confused then I've ever been. I'd say it's like Photoshop on MAJOR Steroids. That said architects and engineers swear by that thing and I am happy it's coming to the mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A free AutoCAD viewer app for iOS is on its way as well.

Just had to plug myself here as iPad is for viewing. There was a thread a while back when someone got pissed at me for saying iPad was mostly for consuming info. Here is some more proof.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone had to say it.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    Can 3DS Max be far behind?
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by siromega View Post

Heh, I saw this and wondered - does this mean I'm not under NDA anymore, now that Autodesk seems to have acknowledged the product?

Would love to here details if so.

Like is the Mac version on par with the full version of AutoCad? OR is this like an AutoCad LT thing?
  • Reply 11 of 61
    I wonder what the video card requirements are. I think my MB Pro's 8600GT won't cut it.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    f*cking time. However that being said, I'm sticking with Vectorworks. Its a better program and costs far less. The plus I see out of it is advancing the Mac in engineering and architecture where AC is the standard and there is no way around it.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    This couldn't come at a better time. My company has been researching cad programs but we are all on Macs. Great!
  • Reply 14 of 61
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

Would love to here details if so.

Like is the Mac version on par with the full version of AutoCad? OR is this like an AutoCad LT thing?

Actually I found it too be pretty much the same as the windows version. I've been using it for my architecture class and i have no problems finding stuff
  • Reply 15 of 61
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    All the CAD companies (including my former employer Bentley and their "MicrosStation" software) abandoned the Mac back in the 90's. I was mad at the time, but in retrospect I can understand the move; everyone was predicting the Mac's demise then and few companies were buying Macs for their designers to use.

But the Mac has been back for a while and the iPad widely anticipated, so taking this long to jump back on the bandwagon shows how much slower the CAD industry is than other software fields. CAD users are conservative; they learn one complex system and want to stick with it for a long time. The software developers change slowly because their users change slowly.

Bentley was always derogatory towards AutoCAD for being a slow-moving dinosaur, but it looks like the roles have reversed and it's AutoCAD who's more willing to embrace change now.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    I bet Apple are delighted about this, mostly because in a way it's a statement of confidence that the Mac is back. I wonder what other software houses will look at this and decide that the Mac market is now big enough for it to be worth their while again.

A virtuous circle has formed.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    What sort of CAD is it typically used for then? Architecture or more engineering stuff. I see from a previous post Bentley used it so presumably it must be good for engineering stuff?
  • Reply 18 of 61
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Hopefully this means other AutoDesk software will come to the Mac beside AutoCAD.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    nixinixi Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

What sort of CAD is it typically used for then? Architecture or more engineering stuff. I see from a previous post Bentley used it so presumably it must be good for engineering stuff?

"Bentley" refers to the makers of MicroStation CAD software - not Bentley the car company.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    ... the day AutoCad left and though some may not have liked it, this is actually big news in my field!

This means for many that Mac is really back to stay and the iPad is going to be every engineer and architect's favorite tool.