Palm unveils webOS 2.0, SDK available to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Palm on Tuesday introduced the beta software development kit of the next version of its mobile operating system, webOS 2.0, bringing new features like an expanded universal search that developers can tap into, and new HTML5 capabilities and enhancements.

One major new feature in webOS 2.0 is "Stacks," which Palm has dubbed the "next-generation of multitasking." Expanding the cards concept from the first version of webOS, found on the Palm Pre, the new feature will group related cards in stacks, reducing clutter.

"webOS 2.0 automatically stacks cards for you when it makes sense, and you can also drag and drop cards to manage stacks for yourself," the company said.

webOS 2.0 is Palm's response to Apple's iOS 4 currently available for the iPhone and iPod touch, as well as Google's Android 2.2. It's also the first major update to the webOS platform since HP acquired Palm for $1.2 billion earlier this year.

In addition to competing with Apple's iPhone in the smartphone market, webOS 2.0 is expected to appear on an HP-built iPad competitor in the near future. Officials at HP have indicated their interest in using the webOS platform to build its own touchscreen tablet.

Photo via Engadget.

The Universal Search in webOS has been renamed to "Just Type" for version 2.0. The expanded functionality allows developers to enable users to search within an application. Programmers can also define their own "Quick Actions," allowing users to complete tasks like updating their social status or setting reminders quickly.

Other features highlighted by Palm include:

HTML5 features and enhancements: enhanced canvas support, support for Web storage, geolocation features and application caching.

Exhibition: An application that launches when a phone is docked with the Palm Touchstone charging dock. Developers can add slide shows, news content, social network updates and more.

Contacts, calendar and messaging: Developers now have access to Palm Synergy, which allows them to access data such as contacts, calendar and messaging.

JavaScript Services: Developers can now create webOS apps and services in JavaScript using the Node.js runtime environment built in to webOS 2.0.

PDK Plug-ins: Developers can now mix Web technologies and C/C++ components in a single app, allowing applications with logic easily ported from other platforms.

Palm has teased that its reveal on Wednesday is not "all there is to webOS 2.0," with more information to come. The company also reaffirmed that webOS 2.0 will be released later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... One major new feature in webOS 2.0 is "Stacks," which Palm has dubbed the "next-generation of multitasking." Expanding the cards concept from the first version of webOS, found on the Palm Pre, the new feature will group related cards in stacks, reducing clutter....

This seems like an awful UI idea for a phone. It *might* be useful on the tablet though so I suppose that's what they will focus on, but it seems like extra work for the end user to me.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    I'm ready for my HP tablet running Web OS...
  • Reply 3 of 64
    newtronnewtron Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This seems like an awful UI idea for a phone. It *might* be useful on the tablet though so I suppose that's what they will focus on, but it seems like extra work for the end user to me.

It certainly doesn't sound like anything that the Apple target customer would want.

Indeed, it sounds like almost the opposite of the Apple "App" approach. Palm's approach seems to group stuff based upon the object of your desire - if you have a document with a separate graphic embedded int it, the two objects will be stacked. Apple seems to group stuff based upon the app that they recon should be assign to the object.

Very different approaches. Palm's approach is very Microsoft-like.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Some interesting ideas. I would think it would give the Android folks a new place to get ideas from since they don't mind things being a bit disjointed. But really, all in all a nice dog and pony show for Beta-ware.

Also find the timing very interesting as Palm has always tried to one-up Apple. I don't think anything revealed here will steal the thunder from the Apple showcase tomorrow. I suspect Apple has a few tricks up it's sleeve. If the damn parts and case suppliers would keep their mouths shut it could even be an exciting event.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

If the damn parts and case suppliers would keep their mouths shut it could even be an exciting event.

The parts and case suppliers could scream secrets like banshees and you would never know. Not unless AI reports it.

If you don't like it, you should be blaming Apple Insider and their ilk in the media.

But I usually like product news better than I like rich megacorporations having unstated understandings with complicit media, so the current situation seems to me to be the lesser of the evils.

The guys who work at Chinese plastics factories are not the villains here.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I'm kind of interested to see that as well. I've not played much with Web OS, but what I have seen I've quite liked, and as an Apple fan I would hope that some good quality competition will spur them on.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Cool concept, gotta see if the app support materializes before I consider the thing, How could I live without my 192 currently installed applications? Any time i think another phone OS looks cool, I think of my apps and decide it isn't for me.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    If i was going to commit sin this would be the one i'd go for.

Of all the competitors to iOS, WebOS appears to stick to the principle of form follows function.

Looking forward to the tablet.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I'm kind of interested to see that as well. I've not played much with Web OS, but what I have seen I've quite liked, and as an Apple fan I would hope that some good quality competition will spur them on.

My kid won a free Pre Plus from a Palm promo booth at a festival. He used to have an iPhone. In his opinion WebOS blows away his old iPhone.

He does ultra-cool stuff with it. I'm interested in a WebOS tablet as well. It seems like it would be even better on a tablet than on a phone.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

Cool concept, gotta see if the app support materializes before I consider the thing, How could I live without my 192 currently installed applications? Any time i think another phone OS looks cool, I think of my apps and decide it isn't for me.

Back in the day, that's why lots of people didn't buy Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    wow, i've gotta compliment everyone in this forum for being mature about the competitions offering. There are no mindless posts about how anything done by anyone other than apple is garbage. Good competition can only force Apple to provide more improvements to iOS.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I’m glad to see development of WebOS moving along. I like some of what they are doing but I don’t think that their multitasking is a great long-term solution. I do love their system notification design and really hope that Apple can get even halfway to matching it.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

They have a few kinks to work out, but overall web OS is pretty good. If the iPhone didn't exist, I'd definitely own a Pre. I'm counting the days until I can get their Tablet in my hands.

In my opinion, iOS and web OS are where it's at - nothing else out there excites me right now.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

I am sure it will be as great as -- and do as well as -- the Pre!
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Back in the day, that's why lots of people didn't buy Macs.

And, forward to today, that's precisely why Apple is where it is.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am sure it will be as great as -- and do as well as -- the Pre!

I can't vouch for others, but they have at least one customer right here.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, forward to today, that's precisely why Apple is where it is.

Because there was so little software available for the Mac?

Naw. I think that Apple is where it is today because the iPod was followed by the iPhone, and both were huge hits. They never did much as a computer company.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    pwjpwj Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m glad to see development of WebOS moving along. I like some of what they are doing but I don?t think that their multitasking is a great long-term solution. I do love their system notification design and really hope that Apple can get even halfway to matching it.

YES!

I personally think that the iPhone's single greatest weakness is its notifications system, since it really hasn't progressed beyond WIndows-style dialogue boxes.

Happily, Apple has plenty of good models. webOS and Android both have solid notification systems. I really hope Apple delivers for iOS 5, and then I think they will easily have the most compelling product on the market
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Naw. I think that Apple is where it is today because the iPod was followed by the iPhone, and both were huge hits. They never did much as a computer company.

Ridiculous.....
  • Reply 20 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwj View Post

I personally think that the iPhone's single greatest weakness is its notifications system, since it really hasn't progressed beyond WIndows-style dialogue boxes.

Happily, Apple has plenty of good models. webOS and Android both have solid notification systems. I really hope Apple delivers for iOS 5, and then I think they will easily have the most compelling product on the market

A few months ago Apple apparently hired the guy who was responsible for the WebOS notification system. Man do I hope that is true and that he is working on that exact thing for Apple.

I felt the iOS notification system was outdated when the first iPhone came out, but then with the app store and Push Notifications it?s so ridiculously anemic compared to the rest of the OS. It?s not a deal breaker, but damn does it suck.