Apple's iOS 4.1 ships for iPhone next week, will add HDR photos

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple announced Wednesday that iOS 4.1 will fix proximity sensor and Bluetooth issues, and will add a new feature allowing users to take high dynamic range photographs that produce stunning pictures. The new software will ship Wednesday, Sept. 8 for the iPhone and iPod touch [Updated with HDR photos and details].

Update: Following Wednesday's keynote, the golden master of iOS 4.1 was issued to developers. The new iPod touch, which will be available next week, comes with iOS 4.1 and Game Center preinstalled.

iOS 4.1 fixes

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs announced that Bluetooth and proximity sensor issues that currently exist with the iPhone 4 will be addressed with next week's release of iOS 4.1. Such problems have persisted since the handset was first launched in June.

"All the bugs that we get mails on," Jobs said. "We think we've nailed a lot of them, and we think you're going to be pretty happy with it."

HDR photos

Jobs showed off the HDR photo capability at Wednesday's keynote in San Francisco, Calif.

He revealed that the new feature will take three rapid photos -- one regular, one underexposed and one overexposed. When the pictures are combined, it creates an HDR photo.

"It's pretty amazing," Jobs said. When taking an HDR photo, both it and the normal photograph will show up in the user's Photos application, so they can compare the two and choose which one they prefer.

Update 2: Included are photos of the new HDR photo feature in iOS 4.1. People familiar with the golden master indicated that the HDR feature is only available when using the Camera application. When sending a photo from the Messages application, only standard pictures can be taken.

Photo on the left taken without HDR, on the right with Apple's new Camera HDR.

HDR photo identified in the upper left corner when in the Camera Roll.

HDR options in the Settings app.

Epic Citadel

Also Wednesday, Apple highlighted GameCenter, showing how easy the application will make it for users to join a friend's game. One title running Epic Games' latest Unreal Engine was demonstrated -- Project Sword -- with a fully interactive 3D environment.

"That's on a phone," Jobs quipped after the title was shown off. "That's pretty remarkable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111
    Unreal... Engine, that is...
  • Reply 2 of 111
    I want it! The iPhone 4's camera is already uncommonly good for a phone camera!
  • Reply 3 of 111
    And will 4.1 fix all the problems with 3G iPhones as well? I noticed no mention of that at all. It's hard to get excited about new Apple products when the ones you have are causing so much grief.
  • Reply 4 of 111
    Hopefully this is the 3G fix alluded to in that Steve email a few days ago.
  • Reply 5 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

And will 4.1 fix all the problems with 3G iPhones as well? I noticed no mention of that at all. It's hard to get excited about new Apple products when the ones you have are causing so much grief.

He mentioned it quite explicitly. "Fixes for the proximity sensor, bluetooth fixes, and performance fixes for the iPhone 3G."
  • Reply 6 of 111
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    I wonder how it would really work in real life because you need a tripod to shot the 3 photos --- otherwise they don't line up.
  • Reply 7 of 111
    I had sent him an email Monday afternoon asking about the rumors from Apple Australia about the sensor not being fixed in 4.1 and he replied with his answer. Obviously the rumor was false.
  • Reply 8 of 111
    HDR looks good, but aren't there already tons of apps for that?

Game center is nothing I have any interest in.

I guess I will not be updating. Why bother?
  • Reply 9 of 111
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I noticed he said the iPad would get HDR photos too in 4.2, which will come later this year. Guess the iPad will get a FF camera for facetime. The iPod Touch will only have a FF camera too. Can't imagine too many people taking photos with the iPod Touch and the iPad if they only have FF cameras...
  • Reply 10 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Must not have seen the same one as I did - the Steve Jobs I saw said (quite clearly in fact) that it "fix performance issues with 3G" as well as an number of other things.

IHTH.

• Reply 11 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I noticed he said the iPad would get HDR photos too in 4.2, which will come later this year. Guess the iPad will get a FF camera for facetime. The iPod Touch will only have a FF camera too. Can't imagine too many people taking photos with the iPod Touch and the iPad if they only have FF cameras...

Did you not watch the commercials (the slide was a bit unclear but the commercials showed it clearly) - FaceTime WILL use BOTH cameras in the Touch just like in the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 111
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

I wonder how it would really work in real life because you need a tripod to shot the 3 photos --- otherwise they don't line up.

Remember, it's going to take 3 pictures in a fraction of a second. For the level of quality people tend to accept from cell phones they won't even notice the slight crop which will occur at the edges from misalignment when the images are put together.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

The beauty is it happens instantly and you don't need to launch an app to do it.
  • Reply 13 of 111
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Plus...

iTunes TV rentals

"Ping"

There's also some back-end changes that you can sign up for a free development account, sign an NDA, and read about.

It's also free. Why WOULDN'T you upgrade?
  • Reply 14 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Did you NOT watch the presentation? iPod touch get front AND rear camera's....sheesh! Keep up
  • Reply 15 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Did you not watch the commercials (the slide was a bit unclear but the commercials showed it clearly) - FaceTime WILL use BOTH cameras in the Touch just like in the iPhone.

Ah, you are right. I see that in the pics at Apple.com now. I wonder if the iPad will get 2? It would make sense if it only had the FF.
  • Reply 16 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Don't hold me to it, but I believe it's all handled as a series of rapid shots in succession, with automatic adjustments to the exposure. So, it might take 3 shots in a small fraction of a second.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Did you NOT watch the presentation? iPod touch get front AND rear camera's....sheesh! Keep up

Of course the iPod Touch's camera is still limited to 960x720, a far cry from the quality of the iPhone 4's phone. I was pondering an iPod Touch if I didn't get get an iPhone soon (or an Android phone), but the piss-poor photo quality on some phones, such as the EVO, has made me really wary. I'd rather have 1 device (iPhone) than 3 (cell phone, camera, iPod Touch)
  • Reply 18 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Unfortunately, having a job, I was only able to partially pay attention and either missed something or misheard something. Sorry to have offended thee.
  • Reply 19 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple announced Wednesday that iOS 4.1 ...

"All the bugs that we get mails on," Jobs said. "We think we've nailed a lot of them, and we think you're going to be pretty happy with it."

Yeah, right. How about using actual heirarchical folders in Mail? I have hundreds of mail folders and they are in a neat compact heirarchy, except on my iPhone, where it is needed the most. On my phone, the folders are all laid out in a hokey expanded fashion, just horrible. I have to scroll to the ends of the earth to find a given mail folder. It's been years with this bug. I have zero faith that it was fixed, as there is maybe one Mail.app developer at Apple as far as I can tell, and he exists just to add stupid things like a To do list implemented as a mail folder. Wow, just like Microsoft Exchange! Make everything a mail folder!

Barf!
  • Reply 20 of 111
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

The beauty is it happens instantly and you don't need to launch an app to do it.

sorry for being obtuse (and i admit i didn't watch the entire presentation) but isn't "camera" an app that needs to be launched? or is all i have to do now is think about it to make it happen?