Apple releases iOS 4.1 with Bluetooth, proximity sensor fixes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released the iOS 4.1 update for recent iPhone and iPod touch models, addressing issues with Bluetooth connectivity and proximity sensor accuracy, and also adding HDR photos the mobile operating system.

The download through iTunes is available for the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G, as well as the second-, third- and fourth-generation iPod touch. It is dubbed Build 8B117, the same golden master issued to developers a week ago.

Apple showed off iOS 4.1 at its media event last week, where it unveiled its new iPod lineup for the holiday season. The new iPod touch, which went on sale today at Apple's retail stores, ships with iOS 4.1 already installed.

It also added high dynamic range photos, which provide better color and detail accuracy for pictures taken in bright sunlight. The feat is accomplished by taking three photos in rapid succession -- one regular, one underexposed and one overexposed -- and combining them to create an HDR photo.

iOS 4.1 also fixes bugs that have existed in iOS 4, including a problematic proximity sensor issue that would cause the touchscreen to sometimes become active when a user was on a call. It also addresses problems with Bluetooth connectivity, and slow performance for users running the iPhone 3G.

The latest version of iOS also brings the ability to upload HD video over Wi-Fi, including uploads to YouTube, and allows for TV show rentals, which were unveiled alongside the new Apple TV introduced last week. And iOS 4.1 also ships with Game Center, Apple's social media service for gamers with friends lists and achievements.

For more on iOS 4.1, see AppleInsider's extensive coverage on the software update:

First look: Taking HDR photos with Apple's iOS 4.1

Inside Apple's iOS 4.1 update: proximity sensor fix, Game Center, more

Apple testing iOS 4.1 alongside next-gen iPod touch, iPad and 'unknown' product

iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3G shows marked improvement in speed test

Game Center compatible with 2nd-gen iPod touch, not iPhone 3G

Comments

• Reply 1 of 130
    I love the classics.
  • Reply 2 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Wednesday released the iOS 4.1 update for recent iPhone and iPod touch models, addressing issues with Bluetooth connectivity and proximity sensor accuracy, and also adding HDR photos the mobile operating system.

When I connect my iPhone 4 to iTunes, iTunes says that a new version of the iPhone software is available, BUT it is listed as Version 4.0.2. No 4.1 in sight.
  • Reply 3 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neptune2000 View Post

When I connect my iPhone 4 to iTunes, iTunes says that a new version of the iPhone software is available, BUT it is listed as Version 4.0.2. No 4.1 in sight.

I'm about 2/3 of the way complete downloading it. It is 4.1 for my iPhone 4 (iPhone3,1_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw).
  • Reply 4 of 130
    Interesting, when I tell it to download 4.0.2, it then actually downloads 4.1.
  • Reply 5 of 130
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post

Sure hope it's snappier.

I love the classics.

Please somebody - is it snappy on 3g?
  • Reply 7 of 130
    gamecenter is a VERY un-Apple UI.

kinda feels like a poker table.
  • Reply 8 of 130
    I'm downloading for my Iphone 4.

The 590MB file is going to take about 70mins. And then my girlfriend has to download it again to the same computer.

Wouldn't be cool if iTunes looked to see if it already had the right .ipsw on my hard drive or on another hard drive on my homeLAN before downloading it from Apple's servers a second time. Even if it meant giving permission for this process in Sharing.

I get that different models have different .ipsws so, if we had different phones it wouldn't be a time saving.
  • Reply 9 of 130
    Downloaded , it took 17 min to download and another 6 to 8 min to install and back up.

Game center was installed and HDR looks very impressive..

No issues encountered
  • Reply 10 of 130
    Does anyone's apps start getting laggy after opening Camera.app and Photos.app?

Seems like the iPhone 4 starts bogging down after opening camera and photos. Anyone else notice this?
  • Reply 11 of 130
    I'm gonna wait a few days. Not that I don't trust ya Apple, but you have been making the tiniest of errors on a small amount of products lately. Please lemmie know how it turns out.
  • Reply 12 of 130
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Anyone know if the HDR works on the 3G? I'm downloading/installing it now, just wondering if anyone knows off-the-cuff.
  • Reply 13 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Anyone know if the HDR works on the 3G? I'm downloading/installing it now, just wondering if anyone knows off-the-cuff.

No - it doesn't even work on the 3GS - iPhone 4 only.
  • Reply 14 of 130
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Just did 3GS and a 3G and the latter is back to being 'snappy' after months of feeling like it had a built in 5 second delay on everything.
  • Reply 15 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Does not work... not sure if it's available on the 3GS or not though.

3G performance appears to be fixed... been a few hours now and it hasn't frozen on me once. (browsing the internet/playing movies (netflix was unusable before), games, etc)
  • Reply 16 of 130
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I'm gonna wait a few days. Not that I don't trust ya Apple, but you have been making the tiniest of errors on a small amount of products lately. Please lemmie know how it turns out.

What? Those guys at Redmond don't supply you with advance info?
  • Reply 17 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

Does anyone's apps start getting laggy after opening Camera.app and Photos.app?

Seems like the iPhone 4 starts bogging down after opening camera and photos. Anyone else notice this?

Maybe. Certainly the camera doesn't seem as snappy (har har) as it was... perhaps its related to the size of the camera roll.
  • Reply 18 of 130
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I feel that pain, thank goodness it's been addressed. Sucks on the no-HDR front. I use my iPhone camera more than my 7mpx Nikon now-a-days, it takes way better photos indoors.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just did 3GS and a 3G and the latter is back to being 'snappy' after months of feeling like it had a built in 5 second delay on everything.

• Reply 19 of 130
    If this is exactly the same as the GM, which I believe it would be, then the proximity sensor has not been fixed. In fact, I think it is a little worse than the 4.1 beta 3.
  • Reply 20 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Does this ruin jailbroken phones?