Apple's iOS 4.2 SDK requires Mac OS 10.6.5 pre-release build

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Developers who plan to test the newly released iOS 4.2 beta must also be running the latest beta software development kit of Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.5, to ensure compatibility with AirPrint shared wireless printing.

People familiar with Apple's first iOS 4.2 beta say that it requires the latest Mac OS X 10.6.5 pre-release build, also issued to developers this week. Builds of the latest security and maintenance update from Apple have seen regular releases to developers in recent weeks. The requirement means the latest beta of Snow Leopard has now been made available to iOS developers as well.

Because of bugs and issues, Apple has reportedly recommended that developers only install the iOS 4.2 beta on devices that will be used exclusively to test the software. It is advised that the early beta not be installed on devices that will be needed for other, day-to-day uses.

iOS 4.2 is known as build 8C5091e, and is said to be already compatible with a handful of HP printers with ePrint support. And, with a Mac running 10.6.5, the software also allows printing through a shared printer.

iOS 4.2 is also said to include other new features, such as the ability to import .ics calendar files directly for events.

The iOS 4.2 beta was released to developers on Wednesday, with its largest feature being AirPrint, the name of Apple's wireless printing standard for the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. With AirPrint, users will be able to send text, photos and graphics to some compatible printers directly over Wi-Fi.

In addition, a range of ePrint-compatible printers from HP will offer direct printing through built-in AirPrint support.

The latest beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5 was delivered to developers this week with no known issues. People familiar with the latest version said it is known as build 1H542.

Set for release in November, iOS 4.2 brings a number of new features, particularly to the iPad. Apple's touchscreen tablet will gain the multitasking and folders features that iPhone and iPod touch owners already enjoy.

People familiar with the first beta said it carries a number of known issues related to device activation and the Springboard home screen, which could cause restarts and crashes with the software. It reportedly has other issues as well, including the fact that MobileMe e-mail is not currently pushed to devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    well least we know 10.6.5 will be before the end of november
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

well least we know 10.6.5 will be before the end of november

They can always software update the required support for older OSs
  • Reply 3 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    If you have to have the latest beta of SL how are they ever going to get it working on Windows?
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you have to have the latest beta of SL how are they ever going to get it working on Windows?

The betas are only available to Mac users.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:

Software Update, which you may have if you've installed iTunes, or simply a download to install the required support. Basically, pretty much the same way they will get it working on Macs, by having the user install software to support it.

The latest SL beta (or the released version of it) won't necessarily be a requirement when this is released to the public, it's just where they chose to initially implement it so it can be tested.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

The betas are only available to Mac users.

SL betas only run on Macs. iOS betas only run on iDevices. iDevices can connect to Windows PCs. If I was an Apple iOS developer, which I am, then shouldn't I be able to test an application that is supposed to be compatible with Mac/PC according to the press release?
  • Reply 7 of 39
    I was able to install ios 4.2 beta on my iPad without any issues but 4.2 beta on my iphone doesn't work at all. Maybe the iphone version really needs that pre-release build.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pechspilz View Post

I was able to install ios 4.2 beta on my iPad without any issues but 4.2 beta on my iphone doesn't work at all. Maybe the iphone version really needs that pre-release build.

If the printing won't even work at all without sharing the printer via a 10.6.5 loaded Mac then AirPrint is an epic fail for use with check-in systems.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Basically, pretty much the same way they will get it working on Macs, by having the user install software to support it.

Yes, probably a new version of Bonjour that sees the iDevice and matches it up with a printer.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    "The iOS 4.2 beta was released to developers on Wednesday, with its largest feature being AirPrint"

Multi-tasking and folders for iPad are way bigger features then printing IMHO.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Yes, probably a new version of Bonjour that sees the iDevice and matches it up with a printer.

Possibly as an extension to Bonjour. It's not clear to me exactly how they intend to implement it from the sketchy details available.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

If the printing won't even work at all without sharing the printer via a 10.6.5 loaded Mac then AirPrint is an epic fail for use with check-in systems.

Requiring any computer in the day and age of network printers is an epic fail....
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Requiring any computer in the day and age of network printers is an epic fail....

When the day comes that printers no longer require drivers, you might have a point. Having to install drivers on iOS devices, now that would be an epic fail.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Having all network printers requiring different device drivers to do what is essentially the same function - printing a piece of paper - is an epic fail. Those that imply why something that is "so easy" hasn't been done yet do not grasp the can of worms it could be if not implemented properly. Even using a generic print-driver is not a sure-fire guarantee that it will work.

Will be interesting how it all works. Apple at least cares more about the end-user experience so I'll place my trust in them that they will do a better job at getting this to work than say, a windows-only method.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

When the day comes that printers no longer require drivers, you might have a point. Having to install drivers on iOS devices, now that would be an epic fail.

Don't rain on the parade. He wants to whine about not being on the bleeding edge, because bleeding edge system requirements are holding him back. See also "Wanna-be iApp developers complaining about Mac and OS X requirements". Never mind that in this case a consumer is worrying & whining about developer stuff. He could be going the speed of light, if it weren't for that pesky speed requirement!
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Posting that something that's not even out yet, and you have no real details about, is an epic fail is an epic fail.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

SL betas only run on Macs. ...

I have it on great authority that Second Life runs on Windows as well. At least to the degree that Second Life clients can be said to work at all.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swtchdtomak View Post

"The iOS 4.2 beta was released to developers on Wednesday, with its largest feature being AirPrint"

Multi-tasking and folders for iPad are way bigger features then printing IMHO.

Considering Apple is trying to make us believe the iPad can actually be used to do work (I know, it's hard to say without laughing ), having a file system that the user can access, or being able to transfer documents easily back and forth easily might be more desirable.

I for one am shocked that after the iPad has been out all this time, the 4.2 update is only bringing minimal utility to the device. I'm not exaggerating either, it's just plain shocking that this thing can't even load a file without the intervention of iTunes or some third party "craptility." It's also shocking that even when you do use iTunes to do this (the preferred method according to Apple), that it barely works, and takes long minutes to achieve.

It's the simple transfer of a sub-1MB document from one computer to another for cripes sake.

Is this 2010 or 1995?
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

SL betas only run on Macs. iOS betas only run on iDevices. iDevices can connect to Windows PCs. If I was an Apple iOS developer, which I am, then shouldn't I be able to test an application that is supposed to be compatible with Mac/PC according to the press release?

If you're referring to the new printing it should come as no surprise the device driver less printing would be based upon PPD files and connecting to devices that parse PPD files.

OS X 10.5.6 beta with a newer CUPS system for testing makes sense. Get it working first there and then roll out the CUPS update to the world, while then have a select group of testers for Windows. Most likely the update would include an update to iTunes to offer that seamless ability within Windows, as well.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArtDecoDalek View Post

Posting that something that's not even out yet, and you have no real details about, is an epic fail is an epic fail.

Thank you for saying that The lack of any marketing perspective on these boards is just amazing. I would think people here would begin to try and look past the technical arguments (its easy, it 'should' be there, etc.) to the marketing that driving Apple.