Forbes lists Steve Jobs as 42nd richest American

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs, with a net worth $6.1 billion, came in 42nd place on Forbes' annual list of the 400 wealthiest Americans.

As Apple stock continues to soar, hitting a record closing high of $287.75 on Wednesday, the news came that Jobs had climbed one spot on Forbes' 2010 list. Jobs' net worth last year was $5.1 billion, down from $5.7 billion the previous two years.

Forbes calculated this years' results in August.

Much of Jobs' wealth comes from being the primary stockholder of Walt Disney Co. According to Forbes, his share of the world's largest media conglomerate is valued at approximately $4.4 billion. Disney acquired Pixar in 2006 through an all-stock transaction. At the time, Jobs owned half of Pixar's stock, which converted into 138 million shares of Disney stock and was worth over $4 billion.

Jobs is well-known for his $1 salary as CEO of Apple, although he routinely receives

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    so...Jobs' Apple stock is valued at 1.7bil?
  • Reply 2 of 68
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Bill isn't the richest man in the world though. I bet Bill gets tired of being #1 especially since Microsoft stock hasn't really gone anywhere in the last decade.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    A billion here, a billion there... Soon you're talking about real money!
  • Reply 4 of 68
    Steve Jobs is a genius at what he does. His value at APPLE is recognized by many in the industry as well as many customers.

As a customer I can say that his Creativeness, marketing and being a Visionary in the computing field are proof he has worked hard and deserves the money he has made.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Steve Jobs is a genius at what he does. His value at APPLE is recognized by many in the industry as well as many customers.

As a customer I can say that his Creativeness, marketing and being a Visionary in the computing field are proof he has worked hard and deserves the money he has made.

One of the not so many CEO's who is really worth his money.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    Especially when you consider that some of the ones on top of the lists are inheritors.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I'm sure that once you get past a certain point ($5bn?) having more wouldn't change your life.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Personally i think SJ cares much more about Apple's product, quality, then his wealth.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs, with a net worth $6.1 billion, came in 42nd place on Forbes' annual list of the 400 wealthiest Americans....

I like that Apple is close to #1 in the US corporate world and their leader is only 42nd wealthiest. It says something about Mr Jobs and something else about Mr Gates, about their priorities.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    I was surprised to see most of his wealth tied up in Disney. But then again, last time I went to Disneyland I was financially raped. At least when I buy a Mac, it's design and engineering captivates and inspires me long after the purchase.

Apple exemplifies the spirit of entrepreneurism in America. They still behave like a young and hungry company. And they remind us of the power of capitalism.

Just imagine if other companies (the energy and automobile industries come to mind) were as aggressive in pursuing quality and innovation.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I was surprised to see most of his wealth tied up in Disney. But then again, last time I went to Disneyland I was financially raped. At least when I buy a Mac, it's design and engineering captivates and inspires me long after the purchase.

Apple exemplifies the spirit of entrepreneurism in America. They still behave like a young and hungry company. And they remind us of the power of capitalism.

Just imagine if other companies (the energy and automobile industries come to mind) were as aggressive in pursuing quality and innovation.

Yeah I wish there were more companies like apple, but as you kind of mentioned, they are usually 100 - 1000 employees strong and mostly University spinn-off's or the like, which are rapidly eaten up by large companies which have to compensate for their lack of innovative people.

Sad story, but makes me all the more fond of apple.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    I'm sure he'd have a lot more money if he didn't blow it all on drugs and partying.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

I like that Apple is close to #1 in the US corporate world and their leader is only 42nd wealthiest. It says something about Mr Jobs and something else about Mr Gates, about their priorities.

Be fair -- Gates is giving away tens of billions through his foundation.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

We would have flying cars by now.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    Relative to the people on that list, Jobs deserves his money. He may be a narcissistic pain in the a$$, but he clearly is a genius and a very hard worker.

Relative to the rest of humanity, I don't think anyone on that list deserves that much money. There are plenty of people who are smart and work hard and who because they weren't in the right place at the right time are not going to make billions. What I'm saying is not that people don't deserve to be rewarded for their productivity -- they absolutely do. What I'm saying is that I don't believe that the distribution of productivity is as wide as the distribution of income.

Put another way -- I'll bet there are several thousand people in the world who are just as smart and hard working as Steve Jobs and who would have done just as well (if not better) than him if they found themselves in his position in life. And if the labor market were so efficient as to find those people, and put them all in the same place and time to compete, then their income/wealth would be very high but not nearly as high as Jobs' are now. But the market cannot possibly be that efficient, and so those thousands of other people did not have the opportunity to compete with Jobs for his position. Instead, circumstances (aka luck) gave Jobs an opportunity that most other people don't get. He had the smarts and was willing to work hard to take advantage of that opportunity (so good for him). But let's not kid ourselves that such opportunities exist for everyone in equal measure.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

We would have flying cars by now.

And spend honeymoon on the moon at the beachside of mare tranquillitatis.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

And spend honeymoon on the moon at the beachside of mare tranquillitatis.

Fact: Bare Tranquilititties is not the name of any strip club or other such establishment that could use that name. I just looked it up as that is how I first read your post.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    Quote:

I?m still trying to figure out Jobs longterm goal with the Disney stock and board seat? Is ti really just an in with content for Apple HW. If it?s that simple then Jobs cares very much about Apple in ways I?ve never seen a CEO want his company to succeed.

Does he think Disney?s stock will explode and it will skyrocket him to the top? I don?t think that?s likely or his goal. like the Mac to all other PCs and iPhone to all other handsets, Jobs seems to be playing a very different game than everyone else he?s compared with.

Quote:

There would be one model per year with two different trunk sizes, it wouldn?t have passenger seats for the first year, it would be milled from a solid piece of aluminium, it would look small yet be more roomy than their competitors, and it could only be driven on specific roads?
  • Reply 19 of 68
    Why every time you see jobs in a photo or a video he looks mean and spiteful? I can imagine he is not the nicest person to work for.At least Bill Gates has a foundation he donates money to poor countries. Not Jobs.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Why every time you see jobs in a photo or a video he looks mean and spiteful? I can imagine he is not the nicest person to work for.At least Bill Gates has a foundation he donates money to poor countries. Not Jobs.

You do know that Jobs is Syrian and was adopted, right? As luck would have it, I recently found out why he was adopted¡ Here is a video of him as a toddler being mean, spiteful and already wanting to wrestle power and control away from his superiors¡
    Seriously now, I don’t see him as mean and spiteful in his pics.