Media coverage of Apple found to be overwhelmingly positive

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple garners the most media headlines of any tech company, with the iPhone 4 and iPad launches among the biggest stories of the year, while coverage of the company is overwhelmingly positive, one study has found.

The Pew Research Center on Monday released the findings of a new study that analyzed tech journalism in 437 stories from a variety of sources that ran between June 1, 2009, and June 30, 2010. The study found that Apple receives the most press in the mainstream media, representing 15.1 percent of all technology stories in the news.

Apple's presence in the news is ahead of its rival, Google, which came in second with 11.4 percent. The social networking site Twitter came in third, with 7 percent of coverage, while Facebook took 4.8 percent, and Microsoft gathered 3 percent.

Of the stories analyzed, 42 percent described Apple has "innovative and superior," while another 27 percent praised the company's loyal fans. For comparison, only 20 percent of stories about Google portrayed the search giant as having innovative and superior products.

But Apple received its share of negative publicity as well, as the Pew Research Center found that 17 percent of stories suggested that the Cupertino, Calif., company's products do not live up to the hype. Another 7 percent of stories said Apple is too controlling with its products.

Expanding outside of the mainstream media, the study also found that Google garnered more attention than Apple on blogs, while Twitter was (unsurprisingly) the most popular subject on Twitter. Twitter users, though, talked more about Apple than Google.

The span of time analyzed for the study included a number of high-profile product launches for Apple, namely the iPad launch, as well as the introduction of the iPhone 4.

Of course, the latest iPhone garnered its own media firestorm after it launched, when Consumer Reports said it could not recommend the device due to perceived issues with the handset's antenna. However, that largely negative media coverage began in July, after the Pew study's scope.

The study did include the launch of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in 2009, however. Apple's latest desktop operating system earned rave reviews last summer, largely because of its $29 price.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    I guess that explains why everyone is basically doing whatever Apple's doing.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple garners the most media headlines of any tech company, with the iPhone 4 and iPad launches among the biggest stories of the year, while coverage of the company is overwhelmingly positive, one study has found.

The Pew Research Center on Monday released the findings of a new study that analyzed tech journalism in 437 stories from a variety of sources that ran between June 1, 2009, and June 30, 2010. The study found that Apple receives the most press in the mainstream media, representing 15.1 percent of all technology stories in the news.

Apple's presence in the news is ahead of its rival, Google, which came in second with 11.4 percent. The social networking site Twitter came in third, with 7 percent of coverage, while Facebook took 4.8 percent, and Microsoft gathered 3 percent.

Of the stories analyzed, 42 percent described Apple has "innovative and superior," while another 27 percent praised the company's loyal fans. For comparison, only 20 percent of stories about Google portrayed the search giant as having innovative and superior products.

But Apple received its share of negative publicity as well, as the Pew Research Center found that 17 percent of stories suggested that the Cupertino, Calif., company's products do not live up to the hype. Another 7 percent of stories said Apple is too controlling with its products.

Expanding outside of the mainstream media, the study also found that Google garnered more attention than Apple on blogs, while Twitter was (unsurprisingly) the most popular subject on Twitter. Twitter users, though, talked more about Apple than Google.

The span of time analyzed for the study included a number of high-profile product launches for Apple, namely the iPad launch, as well as the introduction of the iPhone 4.

Of course, the latest iPhone garnered its own media firestorm after it launched, when Consumer Reports said it could not recommend the device due to perceived issues with the handset's antenna. However, that largely negative media coverage began in July, after the Pew study's scope.

The study did include the launch of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in 2009, however. Apple's latest desktop operating system earned rave reviews last summer, largely because of its $29 price.

just thought i would pop in to say i got office 2011 and am not very pleased with outlook 2011. slow and clunky as entourage was
  • Reply 3 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I guess that explains why everyone is basically doing whatever Apple's doing.

It probably doesn?t hurt, but any company concerned with profits will be following Apple because they are taking the lion?s share of the industry?s profits, from PCs, to handsets, to PMPs, and now tablets. If you can?t lead you might as well follow.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

just thought i would pop in to say i got office 2011 and am not very pleased with outlook 2011. slow and clunky as entourage was

1) Your enjoyment of Office for Mac has absolutely nothing to do with media coverage of tech companies.

2) Why quote the entire article, especially when it has nothing to do with your comment unless you are trying to be an ass?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Your enjoyment of Office for Mac has absolutely nothing to do with media coverage of tech companies.

2) Why quote the entire article, especially when it has nothing to do with your comment unless you are trying to be an ass?

apple coverage positive. ms coverage negative.

my goof to leave the whole quote in there. sorry.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...aybook-tablet/

That probably does explain where all the 7" screens are going. Kind of pointless to "unveil" it (although, with details that sketchy, I'm not sure it's unveiled) but not announce pricing, which will likely be high.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Given the specs, size and weight I have to wonder about battery life. Dual core GHz processor and a gig of ram? Runs Flash? In a 5"x7"x.4" package? Not a lot of room for a lot of battery, considering the power demands of the hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

my goof to leave the whole quote in there. sorry.

And yet you don?t edit your post. sigh
  • Reply 10 of 30
    . . .
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Apple is a Marketing Machine, no company can touch them on that front. Apple also probably get more free press and PR than the President of the US. Kind of like the old EF hutton commercials, "when EF huttun speaks people listen" It now when Apple speak people listen or watch.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Why would business user need to play games, I like how they left out a data connection, you need to pair it one of their phones, they did not want to kill phones sales you have to buy both to make it useful on the go
  • Reply 13 of 30
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Yes, it's true -- this year. Okay, since Jobs has been back. But from a financial point of view, who can argue with Apple? From the point of view of developing new and innovative hardware and software, who else?

Apple is a golden example of the only mass digital gadget manufacturer who has the OS and the hardware together. They design the OS and the iPhone, iPad, as well as the Apple store and iTunes, etc. When Jobs was gone, this strategy was derided as something for losers. Why, Microsoft got the monopoly status because they made the OS for all the hardware manufacturers. And Apple was going to die! Ha-ha!

But it turns out that it's a very, very good way to develop products that deliver a coherent user experience. The new OS X, iMacs, iPods, iPhones, iPads, and tons of beautifully-designed computers. The Apple Stores, the most profitable square feet of all of retail.

There's one thing that the Apple strategy will not deliver: big market share. So what?
  • Reply 14 of 30
    This seems to me to be pretty simple: Apple does interesting stuff. Their competitors, not so much.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Given the specs, size and weight I have to wonder about battery life. Dual core GHz processor and a gig of ram? Runs Flash? In a 5"x7"x.4" package? Not a lot of room for a lot of battery, considering the power demands of the hardware.

Because it requires (and comes with a 12 ft) power cable.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And yet you don?t edit your post. sigh

How about some slack. He acknowledged his goof.

Sometimes we have too many mondays in the same week. :-(

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 17 of 30
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I?d like to see an analysis of how much TIME was spent on quality research (rather than, say, lazy parotting link-bait) for Apple-related articles (And, well, for journalism in general lately.)
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Ha! Real surprise coming from THIS particular web site...
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Just curious how in fact does this relate to the article??
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Apple is a Marketing Machine, no company can touch them on that front. Apple also probably get more free press and PR than the President of the US. Kind of like the old EF hutton commercials, "when EF huttun speaks people listen" It now when Apple speak people listen or watch.

...that they make some pretty nice kit now does it?