Dell to launch 7-inch tablet in 'next few weeks' to challenge iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
U.S. computer maker Dell reportedly plans to take on Apple's iPad with a smaller, 7-inch device set to launch in a matter of weeks, as well as a 10-inch touchscreen device planned to debut in the next year.

As noted Wednesday by The Wall Street Journal, the president of Dell in Greater China revealed that the 7-inch tablet, shown off briefly last week by CEO Michael Dell, will launch "within the next few weeks." The device will run Google's Android mobile operating system.

Amit Midha of Dell also indicated that his company plans to launch "a whole slew" of new products in the next 6-12 months, including a 10-inch tablet closer in size to Apple's 9.7-inch iPad. Midha said his company will offer products in multiple sizes, including three and four inches, and some of them will run Microsoft Windows instead of Android.

He also revealed that Dell will provide tablets running Google's lightweight Chrome OS operating system, designed for low-cost netbooks and lightweight portable devices. Google's browser-based operating system is set to launch this fall.

In August, Dell launched the Streak, a 5-inch device that functions as a smartphone, but has been pitched by the computer maker as a "tablet." The device runs on the AT&T network in the U.S., and costs $299 with a two-year contract, or $549 without. It also runs Android 1.6, though an update to Froyo 2.2 is planned.

Device makers like Dell are clamoring to break in to the touchscreen tablet market, where Apple has made a splash with the success of its multi-touch iPad. The iPad sold more than 3 million in its first three months, and retail expansion is expected to help push the device to 21 million in 2011.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 129
    "a whole slew"

these people just don't get it.
  • Reply 2 of 129
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

"a whole slew"

these people just don't get it.

Not saying the Dell stuff will do well (it will be a flop). But in general, people like choices... Lots of choices...
  • Reply 3 of 129
    IPad supports up to 11 muti-touches, this rubbish dell tablet , NO doubt and NO need to even look at the spec and , No need to even think and ask , cant support more than 3 muti-touches
  • Reply 4 of 129
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

IPad supports up to 11 muti-touches, this rubbish dell tablet , NO doubt and NO need to even look at the spec and , No need to even think and ask , cant support more than 3 muti-touches

Can you name a couple of apps that support 11 multi-touches... 11 mutli-touches seems like a useless spec to me.
  • Reply 5 of 129
    These HW companies will keep pushing, but you just can’t use the competition's products, interfaces are badly designed and they lack the Road-Maps of OS.

Anyone buying Dell tab will be forced by company policy or given as a present... I bet in the new year in the UK, tablets will be given free with some 24 month phone plans - so nothing new there.
  • Reply 6 of 129
    Dell needed was!
  • Reply 7 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Can you name a couple of apps that support 11 multi-touches... 11 mutli-touches seems like a useless spec to me.

WHy are there lots of people who still ask me this question... have u ever played with your friends on ipad!! Apple gives the best tool , it is only if the developers can develop apps that take advantage of the powerful muti-touch by Apple .

Also , I am talking of the advanced technology given by Apple... NO devices in consumer market give u more than 10 muti-touches , that can be Bought now.

Other tablet companies just dont know why we need to TOUCH a device!! We want more interaction with more muti-touches!! Instead of USB , Cam , Same crappy os that work well with keyboard and mouse.

-- these cheap easily made things..

Apple gives u something HIGHER and apple is truly quietly billiant .
  • Reply 8 of 129
    These guys are desperate. They must be losing a lot of sales to the iPad and are now just slapping together whatever they can. And it's got to be driving Microsoft nuts that everybody is running to Android instead of Windows.

Har har har.
  • Reply 9 of 129
    Why don't Dell stick to making laptops and pc's and leave apple to make i pads.The 7inch dell is way to small.Forget it.
  • Reply 10 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...revealed that the 7-inch tablet, shown off briefly last week by CEO Michael Dell, will launch "within the next few weeks." The device will run Google's Android mobile operating system.

...and some of them will run Microsoft Windows instead of Android.

He also revealed that Dell will provide tablets running Google's lightweight Chrome OS operating system...

Hmmmmmmm... Android, Chrome OS, Windows... hey Mike... you missed Web OS!

Their business plan is based upon the theory that if you throw enough shit at the wall some of it is bound to stick!
  • Reply 11 of 129
    Quote:

Not saying the Dell stuff will do well (it will be a flop). But in general, people like choices... Lots of choices...

You might be right, but then people take longer to decide and become confused.

"Should I get the 3" or the 4" Dell Tablet? ... I could always get the Streak? Oh, the 7" is only a little bit more money too, maybe I should get that? Or, I could just wait for the 10" coming later this year. Ah, screw it, I'll buy an iPad."

If I'm buying gadgets I tend to research into what I'm thinking of buying quite a lot before I get it. As I'm sure most people here will. The average consumer, who is likely not as tech-savvy as most of us, will see all of these Dell products and just be confused. They see the iPad, and they all look the same and they're easy to understand. Do you want a lot of music and video storage? Buy a bigger iPad. Do you want internet on the go? Buy a 3G iPad. Otherwise, they're all identical.

Choice is an amazing thing for people like us. It's not for the average consumer.
  • Reply 12 of 129
    Let the clone war begin!

In any case, this is good news as Dell is going to push the price down.

In terms of competition, the Blackberry Playbook poses the biggest challenge in terms of specs and UI IMHO. Also, it looks like the majority of the newcomers are opting for the 7" format which is lighter and requires only one hand. I like it.

I do hope Apple revamps the UI of the iPAD. They were one of the first to implement Cover Flow and now everyone is copying them. So it makes sense to see it on the IPAD. The grid layout is getting old.
  • Reply 13 of 129
    Poor guys, Dell and RIM are both going to fail miserably in the tablet market space, and all this will be a good thing, because it will continue to cannibalize microsofts efforts in the mobile sector, as no one will be striving to put Winmo on their devices.
  • Reply 14 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Let the clone war begin!

In any case, this is good news as Dell is going to push the price down.

In terms of competition, the Blackberry Playbook poses the biggest challenge in terms of specs and UI IMHO. Also, it looks like the majority of the newcomers are opting for the 7" format which is lighter and requires only one hand. I like it.

I do hope Apple revamps the UI of the iPAD. They were one of the first to implement Cover Flow and now everyone is copying them. So it makes sense to see it on the IPAD. The grid layout is getting old.

i am addicted to the ipad now. the 10 is great but i won't carry it everywhere. a 7" ipad and i would take it everywhere.
  • Reply 15 of 129
    Quote:

a piano possibly?
  • Reply 16 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Poor guys, Dell and RIM are both going to fail miserably in the tablet market space, and all this will be a good thing, because it will continue to cannibalize microsofts efforts in the mobile sector, as no one will be striving to put Winmo on their devices.

i think anyone who isn't listening to google about android not being a good choice for a pad until 3.0 is crazy. and it hurts the product. put out sh*t based on something that doesn't work well and people get put off completely and jump ship.
  • Reply 17 of 129
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Here comes Dell! It will be black and plastic, and half of them will fail right out of the box. But it will have Office and Exchange and on-site support, and a projector connection, and dark-suited businessmen will be carrying them around the office in no time.
  • Reply 18 of 129
    These HW companies are so pathetic (including RIMM). They don't have a creative bone in their bodies and now they are all making another race to the bottom by trying to compete in an area in which they are clueless and looking to others (Android, Chrome, MSFT) to bail them out. So sad. Not.

They are the same horrible low margin companies they allowed themselves to become years ago.
  • Reply 19 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That isn't quite accurate. People like the idea of choice, but usually want convenience in the end. Apple has been capitalizing on that for a long time and have become the profit leaders in all megabit their business by offering less choice with a streamlined buying experience.

We can to Apple and Dell's PC ordering webpages for an example.

Quote:

All of them. The more number of points the smarter the system can be in determining an accidental touch or even you palm resting on the display. This is a good thing.
  • Reply 20 of 129
    Even though the resolution may be similar on the proposed smaller 7" tablets, remember that the iPad's 9.7" display is an optimum size to view one sheet of a standard A4 document. 7" might be too small for older eyes. My suspicion is that for productivity and document based activities the smaller tablets will require a lot of pinching and zooming. Better hope that multi-touch is well implemented....