'Lowtide' UI found on Apple TV could come to iPad, iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's new iOS-powered Apple TV has a user interface dubbed "Lowtide" that is compatible with other iOS devices, and which one hacker has already ported to an iPod touch.

Erica Sadun at TUAW poked around in the Apple TV firmware released this week and found evidence that Lowtide could run on other iOS devices like the iPad. If enabled, it would run as a "silent service," which means the user interface would only be displayed when requested.

"Lowtide is set as 'hidden,' so its icon does not appear for launching in the normal SpringBoard icon screen," Sadun wrote. "On the iPad, other hidden applications include Apple's DemoApp for retail emplacement, FieldTest to provide live signal strength and cell tower information, WebSheet.app for Web page display outside Safari, and a few other items."

Since then, YouTube user DLHowett uploaded a video to YouTube, showing the version of FrontRow that runs on the second-generation Apple TV ported to an iPod touch.

As soon as the Apple TV firmware was released this week, hackers announced that they could successfully jailbreak it. "Jailbreaking" is the term used to describe exploiting holes in the iOS code to run unauthorized software.

Such early progress in breaking down the software inside the Apple TV could suggest that an extensive jailbreaking community, which already exists around the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, could form once again around the iOS-based Apple TV.

Though the set top box does not yet run third-party applications or have access to the App Store, some have speculated that Apple could upgrade the device in the future to allow such functionality. Space for apps would be tight, though, as the new Apple TV has 8GB of internal storage, some of which is presumably used to cache data when streaming video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Hmmm a very rushed port... It quit on him too....
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Space for apps would be tight, though, as the new Apple TV has 8GB of internal storage, some of which is presumably used to cache data when streaming video.

Why is that too little? There are 8 GB iPod touches and iPhones, which have half of that storage filled with music. So what's wrong with about 3 GB of storage reserved for buffering?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

Why is that too little? There are 8 GB iPod touches and iPhones, which have half of that storage filled with music. So what's wrong with about 3 GB of storage reserved for buffering?

I agree with you. I have over 150 apps (including GPS apps with downloaded maps) on my iPhone and I am using less than 3GB.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Get back to me when a real HTPC GUI runs on iOS devises.

See Plex.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

See Plex.

I agree, once this gets jail-broken and plex is able to run on it, I am getting one for myself. There aren't a whole lot of iOS programs that I think would suit this device since there are not any touch inputs, location abilities, gyros, compass, etc. But for HTPC, this could be huge. I am pleasantly surprised that there is 8 gigs of memory as I figured only 4 gigs for streaming would be the maximum used.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Could be a nice UI for iPad actually. Launch the TV App and get acess to movie trailers/rentals, and netflix. Doubt it will happen any time soon though.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Hmmm a very rushed port... It quit on him too....

Since he didn't have the source 'port' really isn't the right word for what he did... In short he took the binary items that go into what is the UI/frontend for the Apple TV (iOS version) and packed it all up in a bundle that was acceptable to an ordinary iOS device and it's really a wonder that it worked as well as it did given he really didn't have all that much to work with. (from a developer point of view)
  • Reply 8 of 28
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

See Plex.

Once that happens then YOU get back to ME when the iOS devices support 1080p...
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Since he didn't have the source 'port' really isn't the right word for what he did... In short he took the binary items that go into what is the UI/frontend for the Apple TV (iOS version) and packed it all up in a bundle that was acceptable to an ordinary iOS device and it's really a wonder that it worked as well as it did given he really didn't have all that much to work with. (from a developer point of view)

Oh, well thanks for clarifying that.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    That's neat. Now for our next trick - getting app store applications on the AppleTV before Apple does. That would be really neat.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:

The apps will reside elsewhere on the network, say on iTunes or an iDevice-- as they do now.

When you want to run an app on the big screen you will:

1) Purchase, Download and store it in an iTunes Library or on an iDevice, if needed.

2) you will cross-load the app to the AppleTV, if needed.

3) You will run the app on the AppleTV -- possibly with the iDevices as controllers.

The menu system and AppleTV framework will remain on the AppleTV-- just add apps menus.

Repeat the above three steps for any app you want to run (including Live TV streaming apps)

• Reply 12 of 28
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

That's neat. Now for our next trick - getting app store applications on the AppleTV before Apple does. That would be really neat.

I'm sure it will happen, but I'd much rather have Apps made for Apple TV. Those will come too (and work much better).
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

See Plex.

Why should we hang around and wait for you to catch up?

• Reply 14 of 28
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Because HD movies and TV are HUGE files and would probably need that much just to cache. A standard DVD movie is about 1-4gb for example, and Blu-Rays can go from 20 gb to upwards of 50gb. you would have no space left for Apps.

Quote:

• Reply 15 of 28
    I totally agree with you here, I was expecting it to come on this device, but sadly it's watered down. However, I've been saying this for years now, but I think there are several reasons why they didn't do this.

1. UI: creating a user interface for the TV (IMO) is something Apple has probably been working with since the first gen ATV, but I don't think they have found a good solution to this. Many people have said maybe the Magic Trackpad (which I think has potential), others have said the Apple Remote App on the iPhone/Touch. Problem is, not everyone has the iPhone/Touch and that would be a pretty costly "accessory" to the ATV. I've also head an iPod Touch-Like remote with a screen/keyboard and touch interface, but at a $99 price-point (which at this point I think was a necessary move for Apple if they wanted to be competitive) I just don't see that kind of technology being included in the cost. Plus, a touch interface remote like this kind of defeats the purpose of the ATV then. You'd be constantly looking down at your remote and not the TV. So I'm sure they are working on it, they just haven't found an adequate solution that also works within the current Apple Ecosystem.

2. If they add the iOS, that would naturally lead you to an Internet Browser, which I don't think Apple wants on this device...yet. Buy adding a browser, you're opening the door to all sorts of free content over the web (i.e. Hulu, Pandora, not to mention all the TV Networks that allow free streaming over the web with commercials). This would seriously eat into Apple profit margins on iTunes downloads. I think they may be holding on this aspect because they are trying very hard to work out deals with the major networks for iTunes streaming. If they can't work out the 99cent downloads, they may have to result to Apps created by major networks (i.e. the ABCtv App that's currently available). This is a stretch, but I think that adding iOS to ATV might also eat into the current markets of the iPod Touch/iPad as well. If you could do everything those devices do on your TV, you might not need that iPad/Touch for home use.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

• Reply 16 of 28
    His comment is typical to the average user. I think we all have been waiting for the world to catch up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Why should we hang around and wait for you to catch up?

• Reply 17 of 28
    This one is interesting and Apple community has been discussing it since one week already.

We're waiting for new ``Finder' ' for iPad, Apple. The iPad is not a phone and this's no place for SpringBoard as it is now. Please set it right.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Yes, Agreed...

I understand why this hasn't happened (because 1080p is HUGE to stream over wireless) but they need to work on that. AND they need to work on supporting downloads of existing DVD/BD content we already own. And don't give me that Handbrake shit...I want Apple to support this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Once that happens then YOU get back to ME when the iOS devices support 1080p...

• Reply 19 of 28
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Yes, Agreed...

I understand why this hasn't happened (because 1080p is HUGE to stream over wireless) but they need to work on that. AND they need to work on supporting downloads of existing DVD/BD content we already own. And don't give me that Handbrake shit...I want Apple to support this.

Microsoft have been streaming 1080p movies over Xbox Live for a long time now. And it works great, you should try it.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Love to, but my gaming system is my computer. I don't really play games, except for the Lego games, which ROCK! and they run in 1600x1200 and then some on the later games. So I really don't see the need for an XBox. Plus I own a BD player too, so there's no need.

I haven't heard of any device that streams 1080p movies, are you sure about this? Many cable companies claim they stream 1080p but in reality it's not. Not even Netflix has this yet.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20000054-248.html

Update: ok, I now see the Roku XD box on sale for $99 on Amazon, which will stream 1080p. Ok, so that beats the pants off the ATV now, except for the interface with iTunes which it lacks, but I'd be willing to part with that, since all my movies are physical discs. Man, just when I was ready to buy into the ATV, I see something else that's way better. I'm not sure what everyone on these forums are talking about Apple being the leader of the "Living Room" when there are other products out there that are way better. Seems like Apple are the one's playing catch-up here.

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XDS-Strea.../dp/B00426C57O

You're talking about the IIS Streaming with Silverlight? SL is amazing on how fast is streams HD content. I watched the DNC in 2008 Steaming Live in HD and it didn't even blink an eye. Pretty amazing tool. Didn't know that was included on the Xbox. Hope Apple comes up with something like this tech soon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Microsoft have been streaming 1080p movies over Xbox Live for a long time now. And it works great, you should try it.