Failures in mobile space cost Steve Ballmer half his bonus

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Here's the scary thing, though:

Everyone saw and knew from the start that the Kin would be a total failure, yet Microstupid went ahead with it anyway.

In fact, this is typical of also-rans that attempt to follow Apple, poorly. So in all fairness, MS is just one on a long list of companies that rely on Apple to show them the way forward. The problem is, it doesn't look like anything will change at MS anytime soon.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Who's laughing now?

I don't get guys like you. Why are you laughing? Ballmer's an idiot, but he's still wealthier than any of us will ever be. Offhand, I'd say he's the one still laughing -- all the way to the bank. If he got fired tomorrow, he'd still have a ton of Microsoft stock and he can retire comfortably for the rest of his life. I wish I could do the same.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

But since you are referring to the ms fanbase, I would wager that most people with half a brain have abandoned it years ago or are begrudgingly using ms products for the lack of alternatives. I also think that they 've grown so defensive for being the butt of jokes for so long (and for a good reason) that they 've grown morose and fail to exert any positive pressure to the company.

I have noticed a considerable shift in the attitude of the former rabid Windows users, Windows IT people and even the general public who were recently from the old school - Apple is a toy, MS rules mantra. Lately it seems like; 'yeah we know, Apple stuff is better but we are stuck with this legacy and we just have to live with it'.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Stupid fat ass not paying attention to what's going on in the world. No wonder he fucked up...couldn't happen to a better guy

C'mon, that's pretty lame, isn't it?

I mean he's not really that fat....

oh wait.

hehe
  • Reply 45 of 72
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I don't get guys like you. Why are you laughing? Ballmer's an idiot, but he's still wealthier than any of us will ever be. Offhand, I'd say he's the one still laughing -- all the way to the bank. If he got fired tomorrow, he'd still have a ton of Microsoft stock and he can retire comfortably for the rest of his life. I wish I could do the same.

umm OK ....

You want to be baloney (sorry, I had spell checker on the iPhone - stupid thing inserted that instead Ballmer)

hehe
  • Reply 46 of 72
    just curious about the time frame that mobile device market share is supposed to be developed at MS. Having an annual bonus is fine, but it would seem that it takes a vision that is implemented over 5 years to take significant market share from google or apple. If someone is focused on an annual bonus, are they going to focus on the long term 5-10 year plan that it will take to get into mobile business? And what value can MS bring to the party? It seems a bit crowded now with HP and Nokia adding their intellectual horsepower at the end of this train.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    should have cost him his job.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

just curious about the time frame that mobile device market share is supposed to be developed at MS. Having an annual bonus is fine, but it would seem that it takes a vision that is implemented over 5 years to take significant market share from google or apple. If someone is focused on an annual bonus, are they going to focus on the long term 5-10 year plan that it will take to get into mobile business? And what value can MS bring to the party? It seems a bit crowded now with HP and Nokia adding their intellectual horsepower at the end of this train.

1.) The reduction of his bonus was partially attributed to the stumbling in the mobile sector, not entirely because of it. Other failings in execution caused the compensation committee to trim the payout.

2.) Microsoft is not trying to get into the mobile business. They've been there for a long freakin' time.

3.) The iPhone has been shipping for over three years. Android phones for less. Microsoft doesn't need a 5-10 year plan to correct their mobile business. Not when newcomers can make an impact in a couple of years.

4.) You should stick with baseball, not technology analysis.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

should have cost him his job.

I'm sure it sucks for MS to lose marketshare, but mobile wasn't really a windfall in revenues for them, nor is Bing. If you consider that iOS enables Apple to sell iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch possible, and Android helps Google (in theory, but they don't enforce it) make money in mobile search revenues, what does Windows Mobile do for Microsoft? Apple makes money from hardware, Google makes money from mobile search. What is the value of Windows Mobile (née Windows Phone) to Microsoft? Are they really going to make a lot selling licenses to phone manufacturers at $12-$15 a copy? Is it to make money from Bing searches? Or from the Windows Phone app store? These aren't traditionally big sources of income for Microsoft.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

When it should have cost him his job.

Why the hell is this joker still running the show?

He might have some good photographs
  • Reply 51 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

He still seems to be eating regularly.

Oh that's cruel. But funny non-the-less
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Who's laughing now?

That'll go with him to the grave.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm sure it sucks for MS to lose marketshare, but mobile wasn't really a windfall in revenues for them, nor is Bing. If you consider that iOS enables Apple to sell iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch possible, and Android helps Google (in theory, but they don't enforce it) make money in mobile search revenues, what does Windows Mobile do for Microsoft? Apple makes money from hardware, Google makes money from mobile search. What is the value of Windows Mobile (née Windows Phone) to Microsoft? Are they really going to make a lot selling licenses to phone manufacturers at $12-$15 a copy? Is it to make money from Bing searches? Or from the Windows Phone app store? These aren't traditionally big sources of income for Microsoft.

WP7 is actually like Bing in a way. It's not much of a money spinner but it's of "strategic importance".

If you were to accept the word of tech pundits, then in the coming years high speed wireless internet will be ubiquitous and either our data will exist in the cloud (if you follow Apple), data+applications will exist in the cloud (if you follow Google) or a hybrid will exist (if you believe Microsoft).

So if the goal is to pull a users information and services together across multiple screens and devices then to offer the best user experience a company would need to have control over the software (and in Apple's case: hardware) across those different devices.

So in a round-about way WP7 will help to sell Windows 7 licences to consumers.

Enterprise is somewhat similar. If Microsoft are able to find a compelling way to slot WP7 into their enterprise stack so it looks something like Windows Server (Sharepoint, Exchange etc)\\ Windows \\ Office \\ WP7 then it might reduce the number of companies jumping ship to products like Google Apps, thus in a round-about way WP7 could help to sell Windows Server & Office licences as well.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    When this forum posts articles which show Microsoft in a negative way, there doesn't seem to be as many MS fanboys in the house defending their corner. Anybody noticed that?

As a Mac user from the early 90's i've absorbed many a verbal volley from the M$ brigade. I found it strangely amusing. Now it's no fun anymore.

Do you think they've now jumped on to the good ship Google?
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I have noticed a considerable shift in the attitude of the former rabid Windows users, Windows IT people and even the general public who were recently from the old school - Apple is a toy, MS rules mantra. Lately it seems like; 'yeah we know, Apple stuff is better but we are stuck with this legacy and we just have to live with it'.

No the moderators are just doing a better job of keeping anything anti-Apple out of the forum.

You are reading copy and pasted articles that all are rewritten to make Apple or Steve Jobs shine.

This forum is a lot like Apple's. Tightly regulated and poorly spell checked and incredibly bad writing.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

WP7 is actually like Bing in a way. It's not much of a money spinner but it's of "strategic importance".

If you were to accept the word of tech pundits, then in the coming years high speed wireless internet will be ubiquitous and either our data will exist in the cloud (if you follow Apple), data+applications will exist in the cloud (if you follow Google) or a hybrid will exist (if you believe Microsoft).

So if the goal is to pull a users information and services together across multiple screens and devices then to offer the best user experience a company would need to have control over the software (and in Apple's case: hardware) across those different devices.

So in a round-about way WP7 will help to sell Windows 7 licences to consumers.

Enterprise is somewhat similar. If Microsoft are able to find a compelling way to slot WP7 into their enterprise stack so it looks something like Windows Server (Sharepoint, Exchange etc)\\ Windows \\ Office \\ WP7 then it might reduce the number of companies jumping ship to products like Google Apps, thus in a round-about way WP7 could help to sell Windows Server & Office licences as well.

So if they're aiming for a corporate "stack" all the way down to mobile/tablet devices (they have had TEN frickin years to do this already), then it seems perhaps they're finally deciding to take the gloves off and manhandle BlackBerry...

Either that or, they cancel Apple's Exchange license/capability ... that'd be evil and anticompetitive but quite effective if they have a good WP7 model for the switcheroo.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

When this forum posts articles which show Microsoft in a negative way, there doesn't seem to be as many MS fanboys in the house defending their corner.

Even fanboys know to get out when the house is burning down.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Unfortunately, he gets the last laugh.

Ballmer: "I'm ree-atch, bee-atch!"
  • Reply 59 of 72
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeah, that's my view too, I would really think it would almost impossible for even an incompetent individual to hurt MS's revenues at this stage.

On the other hand you see some colossal errors in the mobile space, and I mean colossal, such strategic errors that anyone in this forum would see: Trying a desktop os strategy on the mobile space, fragmentation of the various os'es, long development times with poor results. What ms should have done instead is, and it doesn't take a genius to come up with this plan, they could have pulled a fast one on both google and apple, open sourced their core mobile os to some extent, put bing there by default, suck the hell up to developers and offer them the best deals for apps and partner up with a couple of major hardware players to provide no more than 2-3 exclusive handsets for MS. Result? You get a large % of the geeks back to your platform, you get exclusive control of hardware so you fine tune your os, you finally get some revenue stream in from ads from bing, you get some devs on your side, you assure compatibility with screen sizes, layouts etc. to better your os, you attract some clout and hype with each handset release, you assume a pretty uniform and stable platform for developers...

Now, how effing hard is for someone to realize this when the apple side has spilled the beans on what a mobile strategy should be, and not this year, nor the year before, but three years ago.

Problem is, you're thinking logically... That would never happen with the current folks leading M$. It would be an admission that Win isn't sufficient to run on everything and that open software is practical and viable. You have sinned. Go repent.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    There's an initiative in Washington state, 1098, that proposes a state income tax on the wealthy of 5%.

"The ballot measure aims to impose a 5 percent tax on income that exceeds $200,000 for individuals and $400,000 for couples. A 9 percent tax would apply to individuals who earn more than $500,000 and couples who earn more than $1 million."

Bill Gates, father and son, are in favor. Against? Steve Ballmer and Jeff Bezos.