Failures in mobile space cost Steve Ballmer half his bonus

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    MS has been in the mobile business; but for having a very large talent pool of very smart people, they still suck. The head guy doesn't have a clear vision, and if he did, it would take more than a year to implement. But I state the obvious. I'm going back to baseball.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

... Just a short story on how obtuse and resistant to common sense this company is: A long time ago, when I were using their products I was also commenting on the internet explorer dev blog. It had struck me as colossally stupid that cmd + s (or control s in pcs) wouldn't save a page but you would instead have to click on save as which had no shortcut. I mentioned this on the blog and the response I got was that a save function would signify saving the page on the server which couldn't happen, hence only the save as function was enabled which had no shortcut since ctrl + s was for saving. This to me spoke volumes for the mentality of this company.

Interestingly enough, Safari on the Mac also has no "Save" function - only "Save As...", but in a nod to common sense, the keyboard shortcut of cmd-s invokes the save-as function.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

... MS have been denied the ability to rip off other's innovations and prevented from playing the bully this last decade and since they never actually originated anything they are simply clueless what to do...

Exactly! What I don't understand is how soooooo many people on this little planet can't (or refuse to) see that.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I don't get guys like you. Why are you laughing? Ballmer's an idiot, but he's still wealthier than any of us will ever be. Offhand, I'd say he's the one still laughing -- all the way to the bank. If he got fired tomorrow, he'd still have a ton of Microsoft stock and he can retire comfortably for the rest of his life. I wish I could do the same.

Cause it's not about the money. The bully M$ (not necessarily a particular person) is now the one with the black eye despite the fact they have a boat load of $$$$. Others have been vindicated - not just Apple, but users and lots of other companies that have long used/made better products than M$, but were ridiculed because they didn't buy into the M$ farce. The facade has been wiped away, hence the comment "who's laughing now?"
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Any other CEO would've gotten fired & literally crucified by his shareholders.

HOW does the most incompetent and unqualified CEO in business history manage to keep his job and get ANY bonus??
  • Reply 66 of 72

That's the one. I'm sure it will have positive reviews when it ships, and there are die hard Microsoft fans who will wait in (short) lines to buy one at l launch, but 30 million? Hmm, I think that's really ambitious.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Any other CEO would've gotten fired & literally crucified by his shareholders.

HOW does the most incompetent and unqualified CEO in business history manage to keep his job and get ANY bonus??

Laziness pays off. Sometimes.

Windows + PC boxes. An old, tired paradigm that's dying a slow death. Winblows 7 slowed it down a little more, however. It's like putting a new blade on the axe handle. There's a chainsaw available, but a new blade makes the handle useful again. MS is trying to breathe new life into dying tech. The OS-in-an-ugly-box-of-wires idea still made them money. It doesn't help them innovate, in fact it's holding them back (a lot of things are holding them back, anyway), but it's still a cash cow.

Of course, MS' reliance on this old cash cow has bred monumental laziness in the company. Witness the idiots trying to fit Windows 7 onto a mobile device! Friggin priceless.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

So if they're aiming for a corporate "stack" all the way down to mobile/tablet devices (they have had TEN frickin years to do this already), then it seems perhaps they're finally deciding to take the gloves off and manhandle BlackBerry...

Either that or, they cancel Apple's Exchange license/capability ... that'd be evil and anticompetitive but quite effective if they have a good WP7 model for the switcheroo.

Microsoft want WP7 to be a consumer device as well, but I think it is more of a Blackberry competitor.

The fact that in a version 1 OS Microsoft have built a more business friendly email and document platform than Apple have managed to do in 3 years worth of updates really shows where their strengths lie.

I don't think Microsoft will (or would be allowed to) cancel Apple's Exchange license, but Microsoft are capable of building far better integration into the Windows stack then Apple currently have. I'm not sure if Microsoft will though. They could very well hold onto the dream of building a consumer focused device and totally blow it all.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I'm surprised he only gets $1.3m a year, I has always just assumed it was a lot more than that.

Well, that's $1,299,999.00 /year more that Jobs gets. I could probably make ends meet on Ballmer's take...
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

When this forum posts articles which show Microsoft in a negative way, there doesn't seem to be as many MS fanboys in the house defending their corner. Anybody noticed that?

As a Mac user from the early 90's i've absorbed many a verbal volley from the M$ brigade. I found it strangely amusing. Now it's no fun anymore.

Do you think they've now jumped on to the good ship Google?

That is exactly where they have gone. At least that is where my friends who used to get it on with me about apple vs microsoft. Now that they have android phones they try to tell me how much better they are than iphones. The end result is that we don't bother arguing over mac vs pc anymore as they've finally accepted macs as a real competitor. On that front they merely point to price and say they are too expensive.

I really think microsoft is in danger of permanently losing its a large chunk fanboys to google (or apple as many probably "saw the light" via iphone).
  • Reply 71 of 72
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

And why did he he get the other half for? The 345 groundbreaking kids phones sold?

Umm.. for the record breaking 62.5 billion dollars of revenue maybe?
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

Umm.. for the record breaking 62.5 billion dollars of revenue maybe?

And next year, they can break another record with $62.6 billion in revenue. Pop the champaign corks and give the man a bonus. Top corporate execs get their slice for not going backwards, and often, even for losing money. It's a totally rigged game.