?tv Will Rule Home Entertainment

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm just an average consumer who likes to watch movies and tv shows on my 50" HDTV. I have very little if any tech expertise, I can't tell you the difference between IOS and Snow Leopard. But as a consumer I can appreciate the utility and quality or lack thereof of a product after I use it. For example, I instantly realized that my iMac was better than any PC that I had ever owned, later that my iphone was an amazing device, and then that my iPad was indeed a magical product. Today, I received my tv and this evening I streamed via WiFi two movies; one from iTunes and one from Netflix. Streamed from my iMac a rented tv show and a home movie, listened to some songs, and looked at a few of my photos. My computer and Airport Extreme are in my bedroom with the HDTV being in the living room. The tv was easy to configure with my network and my iMac. Everything worked exceptionally well, and as with all Apple products everything worked well together. I was impressed with how fast and crisp images appeared on the large screen as well as the organization and ease of use of the interface.

A few years ago, I owned a Gateway computer and I remember Gateway promoting their Home Entertainment Center for about $7,000. It didn't work, tv at $99 works. I believe Apple has created the platform that is going to rule home entertainment. There will be IOS updates and apps that I can't imagine, but Steve Jobs can and he will implement them. For now I am just as thrilled with tv as I was with my first iMac, my first iPhone and my first iPad!

It's not what they can't do; it's what they can do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    And I refuse to buy it until it supports 1080p.

Won't rule my home entertainment for a decent while, I'll tell you.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And I refuse to buy it until it supports 1080p.

Won't rule my home entertainment for a decent while, I'll tell you.

Having used it for a few days now, it looks better than the already high quality PS3 Slim and IPTV-STB output. And this is on a mid-sized 1080p display that I sit about 6' from. Blu-rays can look better, but its a fairly minor increment in quality. Even the photo slideshow looks better for some reason. Its a bit of a joke, really, seeing the nice slick, silent and tiny AppleTV sitting next to the ugly noisy other boxes (huge by comparison) and there is no comparison in terms of simplicity and ease-of-use and cost. AppleTV does have a ways to go in terms of content options, but otherwise its an amazing start.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    ATV (how do you make the little apple character)

has become the NEW STANDARD of user experience and interface

i've had mine just a few days and i can't keep from saying WOW!!!!

now i have to see about streaming pictures from iphoto

figured out how to program my cheapo rca universal remote.....snap

onward and upward should of bought more apple stock when it was $88

update

got it going on now.....wow

i wish i had more control over the songs
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

ATV (how do you make the little apple character)

has become the NEW STANDARD of user experience and interface

i've had mine just a few days and i can't keep from saying WOW!!!!

now i have to see about streaming pictures from iphoto

figured out how to program my cheapo rca universal remote.....snap

onward and upward should of bought more apple stock when it was $88

This raises an interesting question (re. the remote) - is there anyway to use the Apple remote to at least power your TV on and off? Surely one of the most annoying things about the proliferation of technology in the living room is the proliferation of remotes. Now some, like my BT vision remote, can be programmed to work the TV - does Apple? I suspect not, but feel it would be a fundamental part of the normal Apple user experience - minimalist and easy.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    oops, sorry