Oct. 11 Windows Phone 7 launch event confirmed

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Microsoft has sent out invitations to a Worldwide Launch Event for Windows Phone 7 on October 11 in New York City. The launch will feature an exclusive lineup of T-Mobile devices.

The event will take place at the NYC Microsoft Technology Center from 3:00-4:30 p.m. Eastern. Attendees will receive an "insider's look" at Windows Phone 7, as well as a hands on "exclusive showing of T-Mobile powered Windows Phone 7 devices."

An invitation was posted to Microsoft's Event site and noticed by Engadget.

Last week, The Wall Street Journal had reported that AT&T would be Microsoft's launch carrier. Invitations for a separate Windows Phone 7 launch event for AT&T have been sent out, according to Wired.

Microsoft realizes that the stakes for Windows Phone 7 are high. Documents filed with the SEC revealed that the "loss of market share in the company's mobile phone business" had affected Steve Ballmer's end of year performance bonus.

The Redmond, Wash., company plans to make a big push to counter gains in the mobile market made by the iPhone and Android. Analysts expect Microsoft to spend as much as $500 million to market the launch of Windows Phone 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Ladies & gentlemen, start your engines, oh wait, Ballmer is 3 years late to this race.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    Well while they might not be prompt in the launch time, I wish them the best of luck. competition only makes the likes of Android and iOS stronger
  • Reply 3 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...affected Steve Ballmer's end of year performance bonus.

He needs to be fired, tbh.

That, or shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.
  • Reply 4 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This is when you make a big event out of your mobile OS: after the buzz about the biggest deal in mobile OSes and their accompanying phone has been released a few months right before the holiday shopping season. Kudos to MS for getting this right.

So far, everything I’ve seen from WP7 looks promising. Not for my needs, but I think they could have a good corporate device which means it will likely be competing with Blackberry before the iPhone. Also, since it’s a licensed OS that any HW vendor can use it could take some focus from Android for some vendors.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is when you make a big event out of your mobile OS: after the buzz about the biggest deal in mobile OSes and their accompanying phone has been released a few months right before the holiday shopping season. Kudos to MS for getting this right.

So far, everything I?ve seen from WP7 looks promising. Not for my needs, but I think they could have a good corporate device which means it will likely be competing with Blackberry before the iPhone. Also, since it?s a licensed OS that any HW vendor can use it could take some focus from Android for some vendors.

I don't know about that man. W7 UI is more consumer and social. It doesn't look corporate at all to me.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I don't know about that man. W7 UI is more consumer and social. It doesn't look corporate at all to me.

Dunno, their UI looks pretty horrid to me.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I can see that, but I?ve talked with several people who work in tech related areas in large enterprises and the WP7 offers things that Android, BB OS and iOS doesn?t. Namely, the Windows development platform. iOS is popular, easy and cheap but many of these companies have developers that know MS products, have consultants that do, and therefore can (or at least think) WP7 can offer them some cost savings.

Add in the fact they can do what they do with PCs and let HW vendors fight over contracts because they all run the same OS. With iOS and BB OS you have to use the RiM or Apple device. This isn?t nearly the issue it is with PCs, but there is still enough reason for corporations to consider this angle. Android is surprising popular in the enterprise according to a recent article I read yet every company I?m associated with won?t support it due to its inherently security issues.
  • Reply 8 of 72
    ...and thus begins, the final battle for Ballmer's ass!
  • Reply 9 of 72
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I thought this site was called AppleInsider.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Dunno, their UI looks pretty horrid to me.

Horrid, maybe, but it aggregates social stuff and puts it front and center, as I understand it. That definitely seems consumer-facing rather than corporate-facing. Not that I've spent any time looking at the UI. I'm like you. I looked at it, began to taste vomit, and moved on. But I'll hand them this: they're not just shamelessly copying the iOS UI like Android does. At least not in the home screen. (And in case anyone rebukes me about Android having been around before iPhone: yes, I've seen it. But before the iPhone, Android was ripping off Blackberry. After iPhone, they changed to rip off the iPhone. In my book, that's not how you get to Valhalla).
  • Reply 11 of 72
    So what will more people care about? MS releasing yet another mobile platform to fail, or World of Warcraft launching version 4.0.1?
  • Reply 12 of 72
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Steve Ballmer is a tool
  • Reply 13 of 72
    As much as I love all my Apple-branded gadgets, I actually feel sorry for Microsoft of late due to the constant beating they are taking in the press and investment circles. I think some of the criticism is unwarranted and sometimes totally unfair.

I for one am glad that MS is rebooting their mobile ambitions. After the last major WinMo release plus the disaster that was Kin, they could have given up or just stuck with the status quo like Nokia and RIM. Instead, WinMo 7 is really a big shakeup for them as it represents a whole new way of thinking at MS, one that is, dare I say it, more Apple-like in its focus on maximizing the core experiences.

And from another perspective, if MS can meet with even a small degree of success, the competition will simply force everyone, Apple included, to work even harder to improve their offerings. I remember one columnist pointed out with iPhone 4 and iOS 4 that the onslaught of Android devices has energized Apple and really pushed them to do even more.

So part sympathy, part empathy, and part excitement, I wish MS well.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    Prepare to be awed by the Mediocrity that is Windows anything. I'm sitting here racking my brain.... has MS ever done a single original anything?????

$500 Million in marketing.... hmm.... $50 Million in product development and $500 Million in Lame ass advertising... sounds like this will at least be as much of a hit as the Squirting Zune.....LOL
  • Reply 15 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Steve Ballmer is a tool

I think you're right. But let's be more specific. I think Ballmer is like :

-A nut with no edges,

-A hammer made of jello

-A thread-less screw

-A rubber nail

-A wood saw made out of wood

-A refrigerator with no door

-A boat that only floats on dirt

-An airplane with no wings

hmmmmmm.....or maybe even a

-Window made of bricks.....

C'mon.... Join in the fun and come up with the tool you think best represents Ballmer
  • Reply 16 of 72
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Yet more competition for Apple, this time from one of their older rivals. The mobile phone space looks to be a lot more competitive than the home computer space. I wonder if Apple will be as enthusiastic about operating there in a couple of years.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Prepare to be awed by the Mediocrity that is Windows anything. I'm sitting here racking my brain.... has MS ever done a single original anything?????

What they did was enter a home computer market in the 80s that had many different manufacturers doing their own thing, and made a standard platform. Standardization was a big value add at that point. But these days the web is kind of the standard/lowest common denominator platform, with all the basic stuff such as email and calendar. What is needed now is innovation.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I think Apple should be afraid on Windows Phone, more so than Android. The way I see it, it's taking the best from both camps - wide choice of handsets including those nice large screen ones from HTC, a less strict app store approval policy, and it has a nice desktop client (far superior to the mess that is iTunes), a nice UI, and the backing of a proper full on software developer. Add in Xbox Live support and it looks like the start of a solid platform.

It's missing stuff at launch obviously, but I imagine those gaps will be filled before long.

That said, until it has a) Audible support, b) a good selection of apps, and c) plenty of games I won't be switching from my iPhone 4.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    They may be late to the race, but let's see what the next "catch up" major updates will be over the next few months or years.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Last week, The Wall Street Journal had reported that AT&T would be Microsoft's exclusive launch carrier...

Oooops! Someone forgot to tell them "Blue Horseshoe loves T-Mobile"..!