Review: Apple's second-generation Apple TV (2010)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I think this discrepancy in the rating basically boils down to (possibly) whomever wrote this review, did not look back to compare with the previous reviews. Otherwise you would have probably seen a revision of the old ratings or an adjustment with the caveat that the new rating took into account the way over-inflated numbers for the previous versions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Its predecessor managed to get 3/5 in two previous reviews however:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ew.html&page=5

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...tv.html&page=3

I'd say 2.5/5 is low. Sure it has the flaws listed about the lack of codec support, 720p limit and lack of studio support for rentals but so did the old one. Although the original ATV supported 1080p via hacking a PCI card into it:

http://www.rufn.it/aTV/

by default, it was stuck at 720p too and not many people bothered about it - I would bet if Apple advertised 1080p and only actually streamed 720p, almost no one would even notice. Losing purchasing is a problem only because the studios won't get with the programme - I know the rating should cover the ATV eco-system but it's outwith Apple's control and subject to change.

Adding Netflix, cutting power consumption by an order of magnitude from in excess of 20W to under 2W, scaling the footprint down by 75%, adding Airplay, cutting the cost to 1/3 and improving the UI IMO deserves at least a 3.5/5 rating. Once they improve the rental list considerably, it would deserve 4/5.

• Reply 42 of 84
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I would like to hear more about this feature.

With Netflix instant viewing (well, and iTunes for that matter) does anyone out there know if you can watch movies/videos with commentary tracks and special feature discs? Audio options?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Well said, I've had the original ATV too. I'm looking fwd to getting the new device. The NetFlix instant free viewing is really fantastic! Especially if you like the occasional foreign film or documentary! It is well worth the $10/mo!

Best

• Reply 43 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unknownz;

Version 1 definitely is better because of the hard drive storage it has. This new Apple TV does not display all photos in a specified album during screensaver, possibly due to the limited storage. Try glancing at your photo collection during the "floating" screensaver and see if you can spot duplicates. There will be many!

This for me is the only real disappointment after "upgrading" to ATV 2. Since we stream to a lot of music to my entertainment system we've grown accustom to Apple TV's screensaver randomly going through our rather large iPhoto library. The new one is falls flat on it's face here and is a sore spot with my new purchase.
  • Reply 44 of 84
    Your review mentions that the picture looks great but then complains about the 720p instead of 1080p. These figures are vast simplifications of what is going on the screen. Each pixel must be supplied with both color and density information, and huge compression of data can take place here. Bit depth and bit rate are important ways of measuring this, and should be taken into consideration in evaluating quality. Cable services are notorious for vastly compressing density and color information in order to get as many channels as possible and still claim 'HD' quality.

It would be very easy to create a 720p image with beautiful depth and color that would humiliate a 1080p image with less depth and color information. The key in all video transmission and coding is to create the most beautiful image with a given bit rate, and Apple may well have chosen a more pleasing balance than you are giving them credit for.

I have not seen the image on the Apple TV, but please do not discount it on the basis of one simple and possibly misleading statistic.

I am a professional cinematographer and i do have some expertise in this area.

Steve
  • Reply 45 of 84
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

It would be very easy to create a 720p image with beautiful depth and color that would humiliate a 1080p image with less depth and color information. The key in all video transmission and coding is to create the most beautiful image with a given bit rate, and Apple may well have chosen a more pleasing balance than you are giving them credit for.

I have not seen the image on the Apple TV, but please do not discount it on the basis of one simple and possibly misleading statistic.

Since Apple has been selling/renting 720p videos for a while now, people have history on their side when it comes to making these claims. The 720p videos that I have got from Apple range from 1.6Mbps to around 4.6Mbps. The other high def rental system available to me has 1080p images going around 20+Mbps
  • Reply 46 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Sorry, but the biggest limitation of the new Apple TV is not lack of 1080p streaming but is the lack of even the possibility of using a hard drive.

Which begs the question: How can the new Apple TV be integrated with Eye TV?
    • We refuse to pay $100 a month for cable/satellite dish. We have a DSL connection only.

• My wife wants to watch streaming video on her Mac with Netflix.

• We also would like to record TV shows, possibly even burn those shows/movies to DVD. Most of her shows are on free TV anyway. Anything else that she wants to watch would be supplemented through Netflix streaming or DVDs mailed to us.

Which EYE TV products would work best?
  • Reply 47 of 84
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Ahh, appletv...

what a waste of space

Not worthy of its own bar along the top of www.apple.co.nz

US Store

HD movie and TV show rentals

Netflix and YouTube streaming

iTunes music and photos from your computer

802.11n Wi-Fi

Apple Remote

Ships: 1-2 weeks

Free Shipping

$99.00

NZ store

Film rentals

YouTube streaming

802.11n Wi-Fi

Apple Remote

Estimated Ship: 1-2 weeks

Free Shipping

NZ$ 170.00

Yeah go for it apple... movie rentals and youtube, for only 170$

thats gonna be a win
  • Reply 48 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The selection of movies is strong, but again Apple is hampered by the content providers. While the company touts that major releases are on iTunes day-and-date with the DVD and Blu-ray releases, one of this year's top movies, "Iron Man 2," is not yet available for rental on iTunes.

That's funny, as I just went onto the US iTunes Store, and it has on the main page "Now Available to Rent Iron Man 2".
  • Reply 49 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Ahh, appletv...

what a waste of space

Not worthy of its own bar along the top of www.apple.co.nz

US Store

HD movie and TV show rentals

Netflix and YouTube streaming

802.11n Wi-Fi

Apple Remote

Ships: 1-2 weeks

Free Shipping

$99.00

NZ store

Film rentals

YouTube streaming

802.11n Wi-Fi

Apple Remote

Estimated Ship: 1-2 weeks

Free Shipping

NZ$ 170.00

Yeah go for it apple... movie rentals and youtube, for only 170$

thats gonna be a win

1) If it ever gets the services it needs to be a real contender for the living room then we’ll see a place at the top next to their other legs, but until then it should feel lucky if even makes it to the front page of their site.

2) I’m not sure what you want Apple to do. Lose money on the device because content owners have legal, financial, moral or some silly reason why they don’t want to make money outside the US and other select countries? They can’t just add Netflix and TV Shows from iTunes because they do in the US. If they didn’t offer it for sale I’m sure New Zealanders would be complaining that Apple won’t even sell it to you and how wrong that is of them.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Sorry, but the biggest limitation of the new Apple TV is not lack of 1080p streaming but is the lack of even the possibility of using a hard drive.

Copy protection is very important to content providers. The reason people generally want hard drive support and certainly codec support it to allow for playback of downloaded divx, xvid, mkv movies. With Apple removing any possibility of this happening and even moving to micro-USB so that an iOS hack can't feasibly enable USB drive support, they ensure the content that goes on the device is legal and paid for.

If you own the media in Blu-Ray or DVD, you can rip it in a suitable format for the device. If you own purchased content, it will work in iTunes. If you have personal movies, they can be re-encoded too. If you have 0.5TB of torrented AVIs, they will have to be re-encoded, bought or rented.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfryd

It has lost the ability to output 1080p, component video, and analog audio.

The original couldn't do 1080p either without a hardware modification. Component output is a slight issue but they can't support legacy formats forever. If you don't have HDMI on your TV by now, you need a new TV.

Quote:

It has lost the ability to locally store content, allowing one to watch/listen to purchased content when your laptop is off (or your spouse has taken the laptop to work).

Once Airplay is enabled, you can sync to an iOS device. They gave a reason about users not wanting to manage files so it's streaming only but it has 8GB internally so the recent jailbreak might allow storing some files on it.

Quote:

It has lost the ability to purchase content for later syncing to iTunes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle

I don't understand why a purchase option was omitted.

The omission IMO is not the purchasing but the ability to rent everything in the store. Buying DRM movies from iTunes was never a good idea - if you make a decision to buy a movie, there's no sense in paying full price for a heavily compressed format with limited playability. You'd be better getting a Blu-Ray disc if you want to keep a film. For the other 95%+ movies and TV shows that you watch once or twice, streaming is a better option - they just need to let you use it. The content owners are obviously being difficult about it but I'm not sure why. This is the digital version of the video rental store without the inconvenience and video stores are allowed to send out 100k+ films for renting that can be copied far more easily than streaming-only.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2

Apps = Channels

Good observation, I had thought Apple might go the web route in which case websites would act as channels/sources but apps seem more likely from a UI point of view. This way you get complete choice of your own package, no premium bundles from providers. The only downside is that every channel could impose their own subscription and would have to in order to make money.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning

Since Apple has been selling/renting 720p videos for a while now, people have history on their side when it comes to making these claims. The 720p videos that I have got from Apple range from 1.6Mbps to around 4.6Mbps. The other high def rental system available to me has 1080p images going around 20+Mbps

Presumably when you say 'other rental system', you don't mean a company mailing you a Blu-Ray disc but a VOD service streaming 20Mbps sustained? The PSN network does 8Mbps 1080p, which is actually high enough for 1080p but I haven't heard of any going as high as 20Mbps.

Thing is, smaller companies can handle that but if Apple ship 1 million or more units, they have to sustain those data transfers to all the customers.
  • Reply 51 of 84
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unknownz View Post

Version 1 definitely is better because of the hard drive storage it has. This new Apple TV does not display all photos in a specified album during screensaver, possibly due to the limited storage. Try glancing at your photo collection during the "floating" screensaver and see if you can spot duplicates. There will be many!

It has to build thumbnails. Your computer will be busy for a while as iTunes does this. Once complete, they are all there.

I have tens of thousands of photos in my Aperture (!!) libraries and they all stream just fine. In fact I'm enjoying them right now while listening to music. Without having to sync them to the @%^^# hard drive first (woot!)

For me the improved photo handling was more than worth the price of the new ATV. It's a photographers dream! The fact that it seamlessly integrates with my Aperture library is a double bonus.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    Quote:

That's funny, it uses the one on my computer flawlessly. In fact, my computer hard drive is much bigger than any hard drive I could plug into my previous ATV (since it's really an internal RAID array on my Mac Pro). And no need to sync - esp. for photos is very, very welcome.

I have no need to duplicate data on yet another device in my house. I can see the limited appeal of having a hard drive on a device like this, but for the vast majority of people it's a needless layer of complexity and expense. Heck, even my Mom leaves her iMac on (mostly as a large digital picture frame due to the excellent photo screen savers Apple includes).

I haven't played around with it to test it, but my understanding is the ATV can even wake your Mac up if it's sleeping. I sincerely doubt the target audience for the ATV will care one whits about local storage. Indeed, they will more than likely vastly prefer the much simpler ease of use.

Home Sharing was a boon - I logged into the ATV once and the home sharing showed ALL my iTunes libraries, enabled rentals and activated my Netflix automatically (no device paring codes here!). Talk about an awesome out of the box experience - puts the old pairing/syncing model of the previous ATV to shame and I hope they update the software on the old ATV to at least support Home Sharing too.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfryd View Post

It has lost the ability to be an AirPlay destination for the original AppleTV.

I think you meant AirTunes and the new ATV shows up in my iTunes right along side my old ATV as an option for speakers.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) I?m not sure what you want Apple to do. Lose money on the device because content owners have legal, financial, moral or some silly reason why they don?t want to make money outside the US and other select countries? They can?t just add Netflix and TV Shows from iTunes because they do in the US. If they didn?t offer it for sale I?m sure New Zealanders would be complaining that Apple won?t even sell it to you and how wrong that is of them.

They could start charging a realistic price for their rentals. At the moment they are just about twice what a video store would charge
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Presumably when you say 'other rental system', you don't mean a company mailing you a Blu-Ray disc but a VOD service streaming 20Mbps sustained? The PSN network does 8Mbps 1080p, which is actually high enough for 1080p but I haven't heard of any going as high as 20Mbps.

No, I mean Blu-ray movies/tv shows, that is the only other video rental system I have available to me (I have no access to VOD, we have no PSN rentals in this country). So AppleTV is competing against my local video store, and at the moment they are losing. I have one of the old model AppleTV's, and I haven't rented a single movie through it, they are more expensive, and of a lower quality than the other option I have available to me.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    It's also an issue with older and art house films. From LoveFilm recently I've had Last Tango in Paris, Plein Soleil, Cold Mountain, Damage. None of these are available on iTunes, none of these are even available to rent on LoveFilm's own site (or some that aren't available on iTunes are, like Caravaggio). iTunes doesn't even have excellent, well received recent films like The Talented Mr Ripley. It will only be a genuine replacement for video rental when the library is more extensive.
  • Reply 57 of 84
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Why is supporting different formats such a pain?

I'd rather not have to convert all my personal videos from AVI to MP4 just so it plays nice with the Apple TV. Although at £99, it's pretty cheap. Hopefully when they add app-store support it should be closer to an "all-in-one" solution.

Edit: Also agree about being able to see photos on the TV, which will be even better once Airplay is out. The Apple TV solution is far better than the ol' projector and slides for checking out someone's vacation pictures.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Why is supporting different formats such a pain?

There are many other considerations other than technical difficultly.

Quote:

I'd rather not have to convert all my personal videos from AVI to MP4 just so it plays nice with the Apple TV. Although at £99, it's pretty cheap. Hopefully when they add app-store support it should be closer to an "all-in-one? solution.

With 8GB NAND, when none its class have that (or need it for streaming) and on a device already on a suspectedly slim net profit margin it seems that an App Store will happen. If so there are already apps for the iPad (and maybe the iPhone) that allow you to use the iTunes import option in the app to copy and play pretty much any video container and codec you can think of. That may be an option.. if and when.
  • Reply 59 of 84
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are many other considerations other than technical difficultly.

Indeed there are, I was simply musing. But, if I can recall, Roku seems to be able to do it. Ideally format incompatibility wouldn't exist, but that's dreaming a little too much. I'll probably just upload my videos to the MM Gallery.

Quote:

With 8GB NAND, when none its class have that (or need it for streaming) and on a device already on a suspectedly slim net profit margin it seems that an App Store will happen. If so there are already apps for the iPad (and maybe the iPhone) that allow you to use the iTunes import option in the app to copy and play pretty much any video container and codec you can think of. That may be an option.. if and when.

I imagine we will see something like the VLC Player that debuted not too long ago for the iPad. Although I've heard it has been having some teething problems. I'm quite interested in seeing some games on the device, not sure what kind of graphics it can pull off, but after seeing the Unreal iPhone demo...
  • Reply 60 of 84
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Well, after over a week with my new AppleTV I'd give it a 4/5. Maybe higher. Why? Because it didn't cost me much, it does what I expected better than I expected, it is way nicer to use and look at than my PS3 Slim, it has some really slick usability features, and it is small/silent/cool.

* I wouldn't notice if it had 1080p.

* I don't want a hot, expensive, noisy, large, failure prone, power sucking hard drive in it that I'd have to worry about managing.

* I don't need it to replace things I already have, but it provides more options and does some of the existing ones better.

* I'm optimistic about the possibility of software improvements in the future (i.e. new channel apps).

I'm also very curious whether it can (or will in the future) be able to stream iTunes Library to content sitting on a NAS (like the new WD MyBook Live).

More than worth the money. Unspoiled by the need to satisfy everyone's lengthy feature list demands. And what a relief that is.