Review: Apple's second-generation Apple TV (2010)

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Completely missing the point I'm making.

No... I completely got your point, but one can also come up with many examples where Apple HAS continued to offered free software updates for products that are "previous" generation. So your point was pointless.
  • Reply 82 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

No... I completely got your point, but one can also come up with many examples where Apple HAS continued to offered free software updates for products that are "previous" generation. So your point was pointless.

How about you try again instead of ignoring what I'm saying?

Apple's not known for adding features for which older hardware is capable. This has nothing to do with newer software for old hardware and has nothing to do with "free software updates", this has to do with enabling hardware capabilities on older machines.
  • Reply 83 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How about you try again instead of ignoring what I'm saying?

Apple's not known for adding features for which older hardware is capable. This has nothing to do with newer software for old hardware and has nothing to do with "free software updates", this has to do with enabling hardware capabilities on older machines.

Capabilities like multi-tasking? ... capabilities like tethering? ... capabilities like "AirPlay? ??

I guess Apple has used software updates to enable hardware capabilities.... or maybe I'm imagining it.

If Apple decides to push 1080 video, (and assuming the aTV can handle it to Apple's standards) then you can bet they'll "enable" the old hardware so that they can make $ from selling the 1080 content. I suppose it's possible that the A4 can't push 1080 and 5.1 to Apple's sandards though... in which case I don't blame them for not enabling it... it would make their product look bad.

From a technical standpoint, I don't really know if the A4/aTV would do well pushing 1080p or not. I'll have to defer to your expertise on that.
  • Reply 84 of 84
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You're missing out. The new TV is insanely great. I use it every day to stream music to my living room. There is no slowdown on my MacBook Pro whatsoever. And a MacBook Pro uses almost no power. You could leave it on all year and it will probably cost you $10 in electricity (can somebody do the math?).

Of course, I could always stream from my iPod Touch if I really want to turn off the MacBook Pro or shut down iTunes.

And lastly...

"It saves power and eliminates the possibility of malicious activity."

Using a Mac, not clicking on questionable links or downloading software from torrent sites, turning on security and your firewall on your router and not running as root ELIMINATES the possibility of malicious activity. Really. And that's what you should be doing anyway.

I can admit when I was wrong and well, I was wrong. My hard drive went out on my original ATV (ironic, I know) so I purchased the new one. The streaming is super fast and the picture looks very nice. Not Blu ray quality but better than a DVD. And I love the fact that I can't hear it running and it runs so cool. Of course, now I'll have to start making ramen noodles on my stove again rather than my ATV

I do still have the concern about what strain it might have on my MacBook but I guess only time will tell. And it does suck sometimes when I'll go to watch my ATV only to realize I don't have iTunes running on my MacBook or I've left it in my backpack or briefcase. Besides that, I've been very impressed with it. Now if Apple could go about getting more TV shows. It seems like there are far fewer networks than there used to be.