Free SD TV shows on new Apple TV?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So I could be losing my mind, but I don't think so. A few weeks before the new ATV came out I read something online about Apple having some free content for the new ATV. Obviously they aren't giving away free HD movies and TV shows, but it sounded like there would be some free Standard Def TV content available, possibly ad-supported.

Then, I read a review after it came out that made a very vague reference to free TV show content as well, and also left the impression of it being ad-supported SD quality. So has anyone else heard anything even remotely like this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Not gonna happen. If the telecoms aren't even on board with a 99 cent rental, what blasphemously uninformed idea makes you think they'd give them away for FREE?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not gonna happen. If the telecoms aren't even on board with a 99 cent rental, what blasphemously uninformed idea makes you think they'd give them away for FREE?

First, I said it was stated to be standard def and ad-supported, so it wouldn't be free. Certainly you would agree that if HD is rentable for 99 cents, that the SD version with ads would have to be pretty much near free for anyone to be interested in it.

Second, I don't personally believe this will happen. I am more interested to see if other ATV enthusiasts heard these same reports, and if they know anything else about it. Such as, "Yes, some idiot was reporting this, but it was proven to be totally false" or "Apple toyed with this idea, but scrapped it back in testing".

Hopefully this clarifies the purpose of my post.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Where did you hear any of this?... link to the source?

Seems odd that I've been paying attention and haven't heard ANYthing referencing free content. (Aside from content that already resides on my HDD.)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There are always tons of free TV episodes available on iTunes. I don't know whether they'll be free rentals on the Apple TV - I haven't received mine yet - but I would assume so. No ads, just teasers to try to get you hooked on the show. And most all of them are HD.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    There are plenty of free video podcasts.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Where did you hear any of this?... link to the source?

Seems odd that I've been paying attention and haven't heard ANYthing referencing free content. (Aside from content that already resides on my HDD.)

Unfortunately I have no link to share. All I remember is that it was a site I had never been to before, and it was a little video "review" of the product with some guy talking, whom I had never heard of. I'm sure that he either was quoting speculation that he had heard from "anonymous sources" or he had just misunderstood the facts. As I said, I'm sure this will never happen.

Although, as aresee says, maybe he was vaguely talking about podcasts. I just discovered some really good podcast content last night myself. We watched the season premiere of Dexter. Not too shabby.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Pehaps the free content was referring to the movie trailers.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    yep, free rentals in HD. Look at Dr. Who. One free episode. I'm sure there are others.