Apple firmware update fixes MacBook charging issue

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A new firmware fix for older MacBook and MacBook Pro models solves a charging issue that takes place when using the latest MagSafe power adapters.

MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.4 for select 2007-2008 MacBook and MacBook Pro models was released Thursday. The update comes in at just 880KB and requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.4.

Users had reported that newer MagSafe adapters failed to charge older MacBook and Macbook Pro computers.

Apple redesigned the MagSafe adapter for the most recent early 2010 MacBook Pro model released in April. The new adapter routes the power cable back instead of jutting out perpendicular to the machine.

In 2007, Apple halted shipments of its MagSafe power adapters because of quality design issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I just bought a new Mag Safe adaptor for my older MacBook Pro. I thought it was defective when I noticed that it wouldn't charge without my taking the battery out briefly in order to force the charger to start charging. I'm glad they came out with this fix!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I never thought the day would come would come where there would be a firmware update for an AC cord.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In 2007, Apple halted shipments of its MagSafe power adapters because of quality design issues.

I just had the new design power adapter replaced under warranty on my 2010 i7 MBP . It had become intermittent and I feel there was a design or manufacturing issue where the wire entered the Magsafe plug. The new one seems to have a tighter grip in the cable where it enters the outer barrel. I'm very gentle with my tech toys so this was not an abuse caused failure.

Seems Apple is still struggling with (or ignoring) the ongoing quality issues of their power adapters. Read some of the user comments on the Power Adapter page of the Apple Store.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I have a new adapter for my 2006 MacBook (the cable jutting out sideways on the original did not have adequate strain relief and eventually failed). I've never had a problem charging with it, but sometimes the light on the cable doesn't light up.

Sometimes I long for the good old days when battery chargers were simple on/off devices and didn't need advanced intelligence to do their job, and cables were designed as if they might actually get plugged, unplugged, and twisted once in a while.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I definately have the problem, but the software update is not bringing up anything. Perhaps apple was too narrow in scope of the update.

To give more details - I can charge, and most of the time it charges fine. But 1 out of 5 charges (Not Charging) Sign shows up and goes away. That keeps repeating for the whole charge time, which is a little longer then regular. In a way it's like it wants to charge but there is some issue that is preventing it from doing so. And it's not the cable, it works fine with newer machines.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Now if only they would issue a fix for the intermittent freezing of the built-in keyboard and trackpad that has rendered my early 2009 MBP nearly useless as a mobile computer.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    luckily such issues can be address via a firmware fix, i believe some sony vaio models also had firmware fixes issued