Anyone watching the Danielle van Dam/David Westerfied murder trial from San Diego?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
They are, of course, showing it live everyday here on every local channel. But I also see that CourtTV is carrying it.

Man, what a grim bunch of yahoos.

Here's my offical predictions, as of June 10, 2002 AD:

- At least two of these women involved in the "partying" the night of Danielle's disappearence will wind up in the pages of Playboy or Penthouse by year's end. You can just see that one coming from a mile away

- Somewhere in Hollywood, as we speak, Meredith Baxter Birney is in talks to star as Brenda van Dam in the CBS Sunday Night Movie "Betrayal of Innocence: The Taking of San Diego's Sweetheart". Folks, I've already got my VCR set for that one.

- Every nimrod they've had on the stand is a total forty-something aimless, hedonistic partyer with seemingly no clue about much besides "havin' a couple of drinks and gettin' my groove on to a J. Geil cover band...".

Idiots.

They had some bubblehead blonde bartender on today who COULD NOT STOP GIGGLING AND ROLLING HER EYES throughout her testimony. As if the rest of America doesn't already think that SoCal is nothing but airheaded valley girls with the IQ of a garlic press, this chick made sure everyone is on the same page now.

Just a sad, sad case. All this talk of sex, drinking, carousing, making out with the spouse of someone else, more drinking, drunk driving, 2am "get togethers" in the garage with 6 of your closest friends and neighbors, etc.

Jeez.

Everyone involved here is just nasty. A more unlikable, immature bunch of wasteoids I can't imagine.

Poor little girl.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    Nope..they aren't showing it here in the southeast. Who is Danielle van Dam and David Westerfied? Never heard of them..and who got murdered?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Wow. Back in February, a little seven year old girl named Danielle van Dam was found missing from her home, here in suburban San Diego. Anyway, a HUGE search (police, volunteers, helicopters, dogs, etc.) was conducted for days and days. Eventually, she was found about 25 miles away in a rural area, dead and with signs of all kinds of bad things done to her.

One of the prime early suspects was a guy named Westerfield, a neighbor of the van Dams. He'd left the next morning (after she was noticed missing) in a RV out in the desert. Forensics searched his home and RV, but the dogs were unable to come up with anything because it had all been freshly cleaned and bleached.

Basically, the story came out quite early that the night Danielle was missing, the mom was out partying with two girlfriends and they met some guys at a neighborhood bar and they all might've hooked up. The dad, Damon van Dam, had stayed home with the children, but when his wife and the others came home, supposedly they had a little group escapade. I guess all the early rumors about them being swingers and stuff were true, because all this stuff is coming out in trial.

Anyway, sometime between earlier that night when Danielle was put to bed, and the next morning, she was taken. There were people in the house who had access and blah, blah, blah.

That's the gist of it. Westerfield was a neighbor and one of the guys in the group at the bar.

It's just a sordid, weird mess basically. This trial is bringing out all these ugly things.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

Just a sad, sad case. All this talk of sex, drinking, carousing, making out with the spouse of someone else, more drinking, drunk driving, 2am "get togethers" in the garage with 6 of your closest friends and neighbors, etc.

Jeez.

Everyone involved here is just nasty. A more unlikable, immature bunch of wasteoids I can't imagine.

Poor little girl.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Saw a report on CNN last (I think it was) Friday. Whenever it was, it was about 3 in the morning. Aaron Brown was going over the day's testimony with some guy whose face I recognize but whose name I didn't catch. (This is how I follow these cases. A news channel will be on and someone will say something about Chandra Levy or whoever and I half listen while continuing with whatever it is that I'm already doing.) Anyway, the guy Aaron Brown was talking to is probably the guy who does their legal analysis now that Greta Van Sustern has jumped ship.

That day's testimony revealed the kid's parents to be the debauched white trash that they are. Aaron Brown was shocked that the defense attorney would pursue this angle. I don't know why. Sounds to me like the guy's guilty but the job of the defense attorney is to try and create reasonable doubt in the jurors minds.

Anyway, this is a very depressing story. Poor kid. Think about it for more than 2 minutes and you'll go from depressed to anger. Some people are so twisted in their thinking.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I wish there was a God who actively patrolled the earth ridding us of these scum.

His first act would be to throw pscates and his iMac a life-raft with flairs and provisions and then unceremoniously sink the entire southern half of California.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    ...and then unceremoniously sink the entire southern half of California.

That's already happening. Cali is slowing falling into the sea.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Damnit, not fast enough.

The land itself is not the problem, it's the "humans" inhabiting said land.

(btw, should be "flares" up there, not "flairs". Stupid me.)
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Actually, god should start by broiling Texas with searing heat. And bugs. Lots of bugs. But wait! he did that

No matter how sleazy the parents were, their kid didn't deserve what happened to her, and they don't deserve to have their admittedly tawdry private lives paraded on television so that a murderous pederast can get off. I know it's the lawyers job, but it's still pretty sleazy.

[ 06-11-2002: Message edited by: tmp ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    No, I know that. Of course the little girl didn't deserve what happened to her.

I'm just commenting on the whole loser vibe I get from this bunch.

HOWEVER, if part of their life was bringing atrangers (or people they REALLY don't know all that well) into their home for sex, partying, etc. (when their children are there), then yes, there is indeed a connection and some sort of ugliness there.

I don't know. Believe me, I'm a very "hey, whatever floats your boat in the privacy of your own home..." kinda guy. But in this case, "whatever floated their boat" may have led to a real unsavory character getting into their home and ultimately snatching and killing their daughter.

Do that crap at hotels. OR, if you must do it in your home, then for crying out loud, send the kids to some friends or relatives for the evening.

Imagine a kid, seven years old or so, waking up in the middle of the night, walking around (a nightmare, bathroom visit, thirsty, etc. It HAPPENS!) and happening upon her mommy and daddy naked and sweaty with four or more other adults.

Would that not stick with you for LIFE? At the very least, it would probably skew your thinking a bit, and put some odd notions in your head at a very tender age.

Yes, the van Dam's have every right in the world to live whatever lifestyle they want. More power to them, if it makes them happy. But they miserably failed by doing that stuff in less than ideal circumstances and surroundings, it sounds like.

It's an ADULT pursuit and activity. Kids shouldn't be anywhere in the house, I don't care how late it is or how "quiet and cool" the adults are trying to be about it all.

If nothing else, they deserve a "Dumbass Parents of the Year" trophy for their hedonistic cluelessness.

I'm not a prude by ANY stretch, but come on. There's a time, and there's a place.

The two ARE related, and I think that's what the lawyer is trying to determine. Yeah, it's tawdry and tacky to watch, but there's a VERY good chance the parents let the murderer of their child into their house willingly.

[ 06-11-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    Yeah..that might be the case..of letting the loser in. But he committed the act. (as far as I know) noone told him to do it.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    I don't at all disagree with you. They are not the best parents. And I am a prude, ask my friends. I certainly wouldn't like to know them, much less have them living next door. But they could have let in the sparkletts guy, or the pool man, and he could have made off with the daughter. I guess I just have a thing about the defense of the indefensable. The defense is no better than the "she was asking for it" defense. For me, it's neck and neck with the "gay panic" defense as a sure way to win in my new "ride the lightning" contest.

"Your honor, she was wearing a tight skirt, and I couldn't help myself!"

"Bailiff, wheel out 'ole sparky..."