Apple's latest iOS 4.2 beta adds SMS tones, disables some AirPlay features

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released the third beta of iOS 4.2 to developers alongside the second beta of iTunes 10.1, making subtle changes to the distributions of the former for both the iPhone and the iPad.

iOS 4.2 build releases seem to be following a two week cycle, as the first iOS 4.2 beta was released four weeks ago, with the second beta coming two weeks after.

People familiar with the latest iOS beta said it is known as build 8C5115c.

The beta contains several significant changes, including an updated version of the modem firmware. Noticeably missing from the beta were AirPlay features from previous builds. The AirPlay button has disappeared from the Photos, Videos, and YouTube apps on the distribution for the iPad.

Developers have noticed a bug with the AirPrint functionality. When printing from an iPhone, the image sometimes prints as just the size of the iPhone's screen, not the original image size.

The beta also packs a number of smaller additions. According to fscklog, the new beta adds "a larger number" of tones (Google Translation) for receiving text messages on the iPhone 4. The 17 new SMS ringtones include tones such as "Calypso," "Choo Choo," "Sherwood Forest," and "Tiptoes."

In a minor change to the iPad, the Connect to iTunes recovery screen now uses the controversial new iTunes 10 icon.

The iTunes 10.1 beta released alongside the iOS 4.2 beta continues to support printing.

For more on iOS 4.2, see AppleInsider's first looks:

First look: Apple's iOS 4.2 for iPad and iPhone

First look: AirPrint wireless printing with Apple's iOS 4.2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    I don;t think it removed the functionality, Just hid it since there is no video AirPlay enabled devices on the network.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

.. According to fscklog, the new beta adds "a larger number" of tones (Google Translation) for receiving text messages on the iPhone 4.

While additions are welcome, custom SMS tones are really all that's needed.

Even better would be SMS tones per contact, with the option of selecting a custom tone.

A number of co-workers rely on server originated SMS messages, they've jailbroken their phones solely to customize SMS tones .
  • Reply 3 of 37
    I agree! There is no reason people shouldn't be allowed to add custom tones. I'm sure the 17 new tones are very high quality but I just want a way to add my own...
  • Reply 4 of 37
    LOL at "the controversial new iTunes 10 icon"!
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Even better would be SMS tones per contact, with the option of selecting a custom tone.

A number of co-workers rely on server originated SMS messages, they've jailbroken their phones solely to customize SMS tones .

You can assign text tones to individual contacts. That was added in a previous beta. However, with just the few text tones previously available, only a handful of contacts would have a unique SMS tone. I the addition of 17 new alerts should be more than plentiful.

Even if not assigning to particular contact, at least you can change from what people around you have. Couple nights ago, I counted 9 out of 11 people sitting at the bar with iPhones, including the manager and bartender, that's 11. And probably half, including me were on the glass chime causing a constant distraction.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidty View Post

LOL at "the controversial new iTunes 10 icon"!

I know! That's comedy. Who really values the opinions of anyone bent out of shape about a changed icon? The old one was fine. The new one is fine.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

the addition of 17 new alerts should be more than plentiful.

I find all the new ones are just too long to use for SMS alerts though.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    More SMS tones is a step in the right direction, however Apple should look and see how notification sounds are handled on the Blackberry. Coming from a Blackberry the iPhone is desperately lacking in this area.

I would like to:

- have a separate incoming mail tone for each email account. Right now I can't tell when the new mail chimes if it was one of the 2 accounts on my iPhone or on my computer... they are all the same!

- more choice for vibration other than on or off, such as duration. I often find the vibration too quick.

- sound profiles. Currently all you've got is the switch on the side of the phone.

- per app notification sounds... I suppose this is more on the app developer side, but too many apps throw up a notification alert all using the same sound. With the phone in my pocket, I can't tell which app is vying for my attention. Some apps use their own sounds though, like MSN.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post

I find all the new ones are just too long to use for SMS alerts though.

Are they? Damn! I haven't installed new beta yet on iPhone, (did for iPad). I haven't been a much of proponent for user created custom tones, thinking it would be hard to keep them short enough. I had assumed Apple would have though. I can't stand long alert tones. I hope if that's the case, Apple will work on them some more.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Turley Muller View Post

Are they? Damn! I haven't installed new beta yet on iPhone, (did for iPad). I haven't been a much of proponent for user created custom tones, thinking it would be hard to keep them short enough. I had assumed Apple would have though. I can't stand long alert tones. I hope if that's the case, Apple will work on them some more.

You can go hear them without installing here: http://gizmodo.com/5662382/the-new-iphone-sms-ringtones
  • Reply 11 of 37
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Apple on Tuesday released the third beta of iOS 4.2 to developers alongside the second beta of iTunes 10.1

And no new Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta? The last public beta was version 10H548 issued almost 2 weeks ago.

Apple should hire new software programmers and train them over the next 2 years for the high quality standards of Apple instead of slowing down the development of all the software projects Apple is involved with.

There are a number of Apple Pro applications which have not made the transition to Cocoa 64 bit programming or whose interface has not been reviewed and unified. iTunes needs to be modular and simplified instead of being an all-in-one storefront and digital media reader with constant updates.

Mac OS X needs to support natively the most popular lossless audio formats such as APE, FLAC and WavePack instead of being restricted to WAVE and Apple lossless. Just like VLC Media Player and the VLC Web browser plugin, Mac OS X needs to support natively the Windows Media Audio format used by many internet radio stations. And on, and on, and on...

Apple has opened up several new market segments over the last 5 years, but has not hired and trained enough new software programmers to develop iOS, Mac OS X, Mac OS X applications and Apple Pro applications.

• Reply 12 of 37
    whats needed really is the option to assign on a per contact basis "silent" mode.

I have a number of people who I honestly don't particularly wish to talk to, but at the same time I can't outright block them. I'ts easier to let them go to voicemail or leave a text for me to deal with at a later date.

Of course if carriers let you for free block specific numbers, that would help too. I have a few people I wish to receive out of service notifications on my number, who call me for no reason except to use and abuse my expertise in some field without pay or any compensation.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Headrush69 View Post

You can go hear them without installing here: http://gizmodo.com/5662382/the-new-iphone-sms-ringtones

i suspect these new tones are just for testing purposes because they all sound horrible! i much prefer Tri-tone for SMS
  • Reply 14 of 37
    i want custom text tones. then i can use the Metal Gear codec sound!
  • Reply 15 of 37
    I want to be able to view my list of Recent-calls or my visual-voicemails while I'm on the other line.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Those are the most horrible new text message sounds ever. They should be 1 second at most, not 5 or 6 like some of them. Just horrible.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

And no new Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta? The last public beta was version 10H548 issued almost 2 weeks ago.

Apple should hire new software programmers and train them over the next 2 years for the high quality standards of Apple instead of slowing down the development of all the software projects Apple is involved with.

There are a number of Apple Pro applications which have not made the transition to Cocoa 64 bit programming or whose interface has not been reviewed and unified. iTunes needs to be modular and simplified instead of being an all-in-one storefront and digital media reader with constant updates.

Mac OS X needs to support natively the most popular lossless audio formats such as APE, FLAC and WavePack instead of being restricted to WAVE and Apple lossless. Just like VLC Media Player and the VLC Web browser plugin, Mac OS X needs to support natively the Windows Media Audio format used by many internet radio stations. And on, and on, and on...

Apple has opened up several new market segments over the last 5 years, but has not hired and trained enough new software programmers to develop iOS, Mac OS X, Mac OS X applications and Apple Pro applications.

Why should Apple do any of this? Because you wish it? Sorry, that's not good enough. You do realize that supporting other codecs isn't just an iTunes function. Every iPod made since 2001 supports at least some of the various codecs that Apple officially supports. Any changes to that list will have to be written for many devices and a lot of them are done at the hardware level for maximum battery performance. And as for Windows Media Audio, Apple said years ago they would support it if the format ever got decent acceptance. That's never happened.

Lastly, you aren't privy to any of Apple's resource issues, project plans or strategic vision with their products. Stop acting like you can swoop in and solve all their problems with unsolicited advice.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    All I really want for my SMS ringtone is the Wilhelm Scream. A colleague of mine who has an Android phone had that for a few weeks, and I have to say I laughed every time he got a text.

We need to start an internet campaign to get Apple to include the Wilhelm Scream in the 4.2 GM. Make it happen people.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revilre View Post

whats needed really is the option to assign on a per contact basis "silent" mode.

I have a number of people who I honestly don't particularly wish to talk to, but at the same time I can't outright block them. I'ts easier to let them go to voicemail or leave a text for me to deal with at a later date.

Of course if carriers let you for free block specific numbers, that would help too. I have a few people I wish to receive out of service notifications on my number, who call me for no reason except to use and abuse my expertise in some field without pay or any compensation.

Are you talking about voice calls? Unless I misunderstand your comment, there is a hack where you create or download a "silence" file, convert it to a ringtone (unless it's already the right file format), and assign to each contact you wish to send direct to voicemail. Haven't tried myself so not sure if there are drawbacks. For example, don't know if it would turn off vibrate.

Another option for someone like you who needs needs a more robust voice mail handling features is google voice. I don't need the features myself but you can control each call on a per contact basis. Go directly to voicemail, custom greetings, etc, etc. The problem of course is that you have to get them to call you google voice number instead of your current cell number. And last time I checked (quite a while ago), google voice did not allow you to port your cell number. That's one of the many reasons I gave up on that service but perhaps things have changed. If so, it may be (or not) an option for you.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Can you not do either of those two things with the current iOS?