Motorola seeks to invalidate 11 Apple iPhone-related patents

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Handset maker Motorola has taken preemptive legal action against rival Apple in asking a court to invalidate 11 iPhone-related patents.

Motorola, which recently sued Apple over alleged patent violations, filed a complaint last week with a U.S. District Court in Delaware. The complaint seeks to invalidate a total of 11 patents awarded to Apple and NeXT Software, both companies founded by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs.

The preemptive strike notes that Apple has a "history of asserting" that handsets running Google's Android mobile operating system violate the 11 named patents. Motorola's suit notes that Apple's lawsuit against handset maker HTC, filed earlier this year, includes those patents.

The complaint asserts that Motorola is not infringing on the patents in question, and also attempts to prove to the court that the granted patents are invalid.

The patents specifically named in the lawsuit are:

U.S. Patent No. 5,455,599: "Object-oriented graphic system"

U.S. Patent No. 5,519,867: "Object-oriented multitasking system"

U.S. Patent No. 5,566,337: "Method and apparatus for distributing events in an operating system"

U.S. Patent No. 5,915,131: "Method and apparatus for handling I/O requests utilizing separate programming interfaces to access separate I/O services"

U.S. Patent No. 5,929,852: "Encapsulated network entity reference of a network component system"

U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647: "System and method for performing an action on a structure in computer-generated data"

U.S. Patent No. 5,969,705: "Message protocol for controlling a user interface from an inactive application program"

U.S. Patent No. 6,275,983: "Object-oriented operating system"

U.S. Patent No. 6,343,263: "Real-time signal processing system for serially transmitted data"

U.S. Patent No. 6,424,354: "Object-oriented event notification system with listener registration of both interests and methods"

U.S. Patent No. RE39,486: "Extensible, replaceable network component system"

Earlier this month, Motorola sued Apple, alleging that the iPhone maker has infringed on patents it owns. The lawsuit was filed through a subsidiary, Motorola Mobility Inc., with the U.S. International Trade Commission.

Motorola Mobility has accused Apple of violating a total of 18 patents it owns, related to a range of technologies including 3G, GPRS, 802.11 wireless, and antenna design. Specifically named Apple products include MobileMe and the App Store.

Given the numerous lawsuits and countersuits filed with the ITC involving Apple, it is likely that the iPhone maker will respond in kind to Motorola with a lawsuit of its own. In addition to legal battles with Motorola and HTC, Apple is also at odds with Nokia and Kodak.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    Motorola has found out that they can not compete, so they are suing. Any other companies that legitimately have a case try to negotiate. Not Motorola. They can see that they are becoming irrelevant.
  • Reply 2 of 96
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marktrek View Post

Motorola has found out that they can not compete, so they are suing. Any other companies that legitimately have a case try to negotiate. Not Motorola. They can see that they are becoming irrelevant.

Isn't that what you do in patent related suits? Firstly, you argue there is no infringement because the patents are invalid. Logically this is the best thing to do because if the patent is invalid there is nothing to infringe. Then you argue that your own device does not fall within the claims of the patent.

Motorola are choosing not to wait for an infringement trial. I don't see what the issue is. You can read between the lines but they're essentially arguing what they would have done in any case.
  • Reply 3 of 96
    All very tiresome. The endless lawsuits are completely out of control. Everyone is suing everyone over the same stuff. If it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny.

/sigh
  • Reply 4 of 96
    What is motorola?
  • Reply 5 of 96
    Riiiight.... you know Motorola, the company which is sooo incredibly innovative that they invented.... (crickets chirping)
  • Reply 6 of 96
    I was just thinking an info graphic of this stupidity would be handy and here it is.. Thanks mate.

I reckon the mobile wars are going to have an interesting effect on the future of lawsuits and patents.

There is no court with the technical capacity and historical knowledge to determine the validity in this mess.

Most significantly all these cases are not based on infringement of IP, they are based on market share complaints (tantrums) that then look for excuses.
  • Reply 7 of 96
    Patents are getting ridiculous these days. Apple (and others) somehow think you can patent 'intuition' or 'structure'. And then sue some other maker that uses input methods, etc., which are similarly 'intuitive', or digital organization methods that are 'structured'. It's like McDonald's suing Burger King because Burger King puts a meat patty and cheese between 2 halves of a bun.
  • Reply 8 of 96
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Riiiight.... you know Motorola, the company which is sooo incredibly innovative that they invented.... (crickets chirping)

Six Sigma?

I think Motorola will have a hard time suing around anything to do with Object Oriented graphics, as Apple and NeXT were using them before Motorola even knew what a mobile phone was.
  • Reply 9 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Patents are getting ridiculous these days. Apple (and others) somehow think you can patent 'intuition' or 'structure'. And then sue some other maker that uses input methods, etc., which are similarly 'intuitive', or digital organization methods that are 'structured'. It's like McDonald's suing Burger King because Burger King puts a meat patty and cheese between 2 halves of a bun.

Is THAT what they're putting between that bun? I wondered what it was!
  • Reply 10 of 96
    Glancing at the patent's that Motorola wants to invalidate, they might as well try to invalidate patent rights to Mac OS X...

These are very fundamental patents and I find it more than unlikely that they would succeed, but that they go the route of saying "this shouldn't be patenteed" versus "this is our IP and they used it", which is what they are doing with their other lawsuit.

"Nothing to loose" tactic?
  • Reply 11 of 96
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Motorola is probably still hurting over the fact that they could have been the iPhone maker.

But no, they crippled ROKR with a 100-song max and horrendously bad interface. Steve Jobs

said the absolute minimum about ROKR, and Apple refused to promote it. That unpleasant

experience obviously triggered Apple's in-house development of the iPhone.

More evidence to support my theory that the best way for two companies to become mortal

enemies is to work on a joint high-profile project. Sooner or later (instantaneously in the case

of Apple + Motorola = ROKR) the companies long-term orthogonal goals will cause a painful

breakup. Happens almost every time.
  • Reply 12 of 96
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Sounds more like Motorola wants to cross license with Apple and is trying to force them to the table. Good luck with that.
  • Reply 13 of 96
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Nice,have been saving that RAZR phone for years now, can resell it on ebay when they win!!! Going to Disney.
  • Reply 14 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Motorola is probably still hurting over the fact that they could have been the iPhone maker.

But no, they crippled ROKR with a 100-song max and horrendously bad interface. Steve Jobs

said the absolute minimum about ROKR, and Apple refused to promote it. That unpleasant

More evidence to support my theory that the best way for two companies to become mortal

enemies is to work on a joint high-profile project. Sooner or later (instantaneously in the case

of Apple + Motorola = ROKR) the companies long-term orthogonal goals will cause a painful

Besides the 100 song limit the ROKR was a piece of crap phone. Motorola took an existing phone and tried to shoe horn iTunes on it. And you needed a microSD card to store the song on. The card and the SIM were held in place by metal tabs that broke off every few days.

Zander tried to convince Steve Jobs that it was a "great" design. Thank god Steve did not listen to him else we would all be listening to music on a Wp5.5 phone.
  • Reply 15 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Six Sigma?

I think Motorola will have a hard time suing around anything to do with Object Oriented graphics, as Apple and NeXT were using them before Motorola even knew what a mobile phone was.

Huh? Motorola was in the cellular phone business long before Apple was, well, hardly anything.
  • Reply 16 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I always wondered about the ROKR. It seems to me that Apple forcing Moto to limit it to 100 songs would be more likely as it would keep it from hurting iPod sales. I see no reason why Moto would want that artificial cap. What argument and/or proof is there that Moto is the one that limited the number of tracks.
  • Reply 17 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thermaikos View Post

What is motorola?

Desperate to catch up.
  • Reply 18 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

The first cellular phone & cellular network. Back then, it was still analog, and Max Headroom was selling Pepsi to a new generation. But that was a long time ago. Back to the Future predicted we would have flying cars and hoverboards by the year 2015.
  • Reply 19 of 96
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Motorola obviously believe that Apple will sue them next after they finish with HTC. Apple v HTC is really a test run for Apple v Android and Motorola is betting big on Android. What we are seeing here is a preemptive move to disarm Apple before it goes after Motorola.

I just wish all these firms would try to win by creating better products and not simply try to block the competition.
  • Reply 20 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marktrek View Post

Relax, nuisance patent lawsuits have no merit; they are just a form of trade negotiation, a kind of chess game played by corporate patent attorneys to justify their existence. The goal is to get the other side to either drop their suit or sign a cross-license deal. Either way, the attorneys make off like bandits.