Apple profits soar 70% on record sales of 14.1M iPhones, 3.89M Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Awesome. I hear iPad lower than expected. Not sure why RIM is mentioned. Android is the rival now.!

Is Android the rival? Android is an OS and Apple doesn't sell an OS across multiple vendors so I am not sure it is fair to call Android a rival. It may be a rival in terms of how good the OS is but in terms of numbers it is a lost battle. Unless Android totally screws up, of course, but I don't expect that.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yeah, it's down $0.10! (Trading currently halted)

Really... it was down over $17 at one point...
  • Reply 23 of 114
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Has MSFT ever had over $20B revenue in this same quarter? Are analysts projecting MSFT over $20B for this same quarter come 28-OCT-2010?
  • Reply 24 of 114
    All the shorters are selling off massively to drive the price down.
  • Reply 25 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Really... it was down over $17 at one point...

Yahoo was showing the suspended trading figure. It was actually down around $20 at one point. I don't know what traders were betting on by running AAPL up so much over the last week or so, but it was apparently something more than beating the street by 14%.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Is Android the rival? Android is an OS and Apple doesn't sell an OS across multiple vendors so I am not sure it is fair to call Android a rival. It may be a rival in terms of how good the OS is but in terms of numbers it is a lost battle. Unless Android totally screws up, of course, but I don't expect that.

I truly think that is a semantical argument. If buyer Joe buys an Android phone instead of an iPhone what does it matter? That purchase wasn't from Apple it was from a manufacturer that would not have a product but for Android. Hence for simplification I use the term Android. It is no different than referring to MS as a rival of Apple's even though it may translate into a DELL or an HP.
  • Reply 27 of 114
    Quote:

Yeah, it's down $0.10! (Trading currently halted)

It's down $17 at 5.5 %. Below 300 again.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/s...te?symbol=aapl
  • Reply 28 of 114
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Just extrapolating from those numbers, Apple can easily sell north of 100 million iOS devices next year, probably substantially more barring some major error on their part. And subsequently to that? Who knows, but I wouldn't bet against an ever expanding world of devices and sales. Sure, Android tablets will be coming onto the market, but Android phones don't really seem to have crimped iPhone growth, have they?

Add that to the installed user base now (allowing for replacement or defections of course) and you've got an absolutely massive market for devs and peripheral makers to cater to-- not to mention further incentive for more sites and publications to get on board with the HTML 5 express.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

all the shorters are selling off massively to drive the price down.

buy buy buy,
  • Reply 30 of 114
    The EPS anyway. From his post on AI just this morning before the conference call:

"Based on my earnings model (see here), my estimates this quarter fall on the lower end of the unaffiliated analyst estimates. My model is looking for Apple to report earnings of about $4.64 in EPS on about $19.6 billion in revenue. I'm looking for Apple to report sales of 12 million iPhones, 3.92 million macs, 10 million iPods and 5 million iPads."

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...s_preview.html
  • Reply 31 of 114
    Quote:

It often fails. I've held this stock for 13 years, so I know.

It never fails ... to drop after an ER ... I abbreviated assuming my meaning was obvious as it related to the comment I was replying to.
  • Reply 32 of 114
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    I hope Apple can stay on this course of success, when a company is on such a good streak, it must end at some point, and it may be very ugly... what I'm saying is, I hope Apple is not France under Napoleon Bonaparte...

I'm a bit pessimistic today...
  • Reply 33 of 114
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

Android is the rival now.

Android isn't a company.

And the company that makes it, charges zero for it. Is that a rival?

C.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    Quote:

Nearly as long as me

Then you should know that it doesn't "always happen." I believe it was two quarterly reports ago that AAPL soared in after-hours trading on a similar blow-out.
  • Reply 35 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Just extrapolating from those numbers, Apple can easily sell north of 100 million iOS devices next year, probably substantially more barring some major error on their part. And subsequently to that? Who knows, but I wouldn't bet against an ever expanding world of devices and sales. Sure, Android tablets will be coming onto the market, but Android phones don't really seem to have crimped iPhone growth, have they?

Add that to the installed user base now (allowing for replacement or defections of course) and you've got an absolutely massive market for devs and peripheral makers to cater to-- not to mention further incentive for more sites and publications to get on board with the HTML 5 express.

I have a gut feeling Apple will untether the iPad from a mother PC / Mac by launching an iTunes in the cloud. A new purchaser will be able to contact and sign up (if no account) via WiFi or perhaps even at Apple's expense to sign up via some arrangement with the carriers. Once this happens the iPad is a PC like it or not in terms of definition. That makes Apple the number one PC maker. The sky is the limit after that.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnielse View Post

It's down $17 at 5.5 %. Below 300 again.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/s...te?symbol=aapl

It's now back over $302.
  • Reply 37 of 114
    Quote:

Then you should know that it doesn't "always happen." I believe it was two quarterly reports ago that AAPL soared in after-hours trading on a similar blow-out.

I was not being specifically accurate merely cheering someone up with the term 'It never fails ... sigh' as in 'it often happens'. Lighten up will ya
  • Reply 38 of 114
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Nearly as long as me

Good for you - in the days when every article about Apple included the word 'beleaguered' I thought of buying. Apple still had millions of loyal users and (probably through ignorance) I was certain Apple would pull through. Unfortunately I didn't feel I could put all my money into any company let alone a beleaguered one, no matter how certain I was that its imminent death was exaggerated. I was wrong on more counts than one but oh how I wish I had sunk every penny in to stock. Makes me wanna cry.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by un_plug View Post

RIM is mentioned because they make and sell their phones with OS just like Apple. Android is just the OS, so that would be like comparing apples and oranges (and because it is just an OS on a hundred different handsets it is beating them both) : )

Quote:

That's an interesting interpretation for the reason. By that logic Macs can not be compared to any PC out there.

Macs can't be compared to any PC out there, because they are so superior. But my point was that, of course apple is going to pick the number that looks good for them, and what their reasoning might be. Andriod may not be an exact rival, but they are a definite threat to iPhone sales, and Apple profits.
  • Reply 40 of 114
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

It often fails. I've held this stock for 13 years, so I know.

The amazing thing is that they truly believe that it goes down after every earnings report. Goes to show you what a short term memory they really have.

And for anyone comparing AAPL to MSFT in revenue, please go take a course in finance. Or compare AAPL to WMT in revenue and figure out for yourself the pointlessness of comparing AAPL to MSFT.