Online ad revenue from Apple's iPad grows 316% in Q3 - report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Advertising revenue generated from iPad users increased 316 percent in the third quarter of calendar 2010, as the number of advertisers also grew by 94 percent.

The data was revealed Tuesday as part of the monthly "MobileMix" report for Sept. 2010 from advertiser Millennial Media. The company revealed that iPad impression growth in the third quarter increased 156 percent, while ad requests on Apple's iPad grew 63 percent month over month in September alone.

Just released in April, the iPad is already the second-largest "connected device" tracked by Millennial Media, behind only Apple's iPod touch. In third place is the Sony Playstation Portable, while the Sony PlayStation 3 is in fourth.

The iPad surge helped Apple's iOS mobile operating system see a 10 percent overall increase in ad impressions for the third quarter of 2010. But iOS lagged behind rivals Android, which saw impressions grow 37 percent for the quarter, and RIM's BlackBerry, which increased 18 percent.

The tracked third quarter of calendar 2010 was the fourth quarter of Apple's fiscal year, the details of which were revealed Monday. Apple announced that it sold 4.19 million iPads in the September quarter, an increase from the product's first quarter of availability, when 3.27 million units were shipped.

The iPad has continued to grow as an advertising platform, according to Millennial's tracking. The company previously revealed that the iPad had seen a 76 percent month-over-month increase during August 2010.

Overall iOS market share tracked by the advertising firm was relatively static at 46 percent, shrinking 2 percent from a month prior. Google's Android platform continues to gain ground on Apple, growing from 26 percent in August to 29 percent in September.

Apple and Android have publicly disputed one another over new device activation numbers, but on Monday Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs admitted that Android outsold the iPhone in the June quarter, citing numbers from Gartner which he said he believes are "pretty accurate."

Jobs said that in the June quarter, many customers were waiting to buy the iPhone 4. He said Apple is waiting to find out what happened in the September quarter, but it's hard to track because there is no "solid data" on how many Android devices are shipped each quarter.

Jobs made headlines Monday when he passionately defended the iPad, iPhone and Apple's iOS mobile operating system, while slamming Google's Android. Jobs criticized Google's characterization of Android as "open" and the iPhone as "closed," suggesting that the alleged fragmentation of Android was an issue for the platform.

"I imagine we'll be competing with them for quite some time," Jobs said of Google and Android, "but we have very different approaches."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Regardless of the back-and-forth chest-thumping going on between Apple and Google (Android), it's actually a really cool time to be around watching the next phase of technology being battled out and formed. This is the kind of moment in time that we'll be discussing for years to come.

In the end, it's great to be a consumer.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Regardless of the back-and-forth chest-thumping going on between Apple and Google (Android), it's actually a really cool time to be around watching the next phase of technology being battled out and formed. This is the kind of moment in time that we'll be discussing for years to come.

In the end, it's great to be a consumer.

Agreed. It is definitely a period that will be marked as significant in tech history, not just for the phones but I suspect even more the start of the iPad's take over of casual PC users.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I never liked those so very helpful pie charts that only show "percent" change in anything. If I'm at 1 this year, then next year I'm at 2, I've grown 200%. Not informative. Give me some real numbers.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I never liked those so very helpful pie charts that only show "percent" change in anything. If I'm at 1 this year, then next year I'm at 2, I've grown 200%. Not informative. Give me some real numbers.

I am one with you on this. It is only proper to report relative percentages without showing the raw values, if tracking the relative growth of the same entity, like that of a company.

It is a strech however when relative percentage growth are then used to compare different companies when they are not at the same growth phase or not the same "starting unit sales" in a given period of time analyzed in the comparison.

To illustrate your point, as I did here in the past, using extreme values:

Company A

start: 100

end: 1000

A growth of ten fold, or 900%

Company B

start: 10,000

end: 30,000

A growth of threefold, or 200%

Without providing the raw numbers, and showing only the relative growth or percentage growth, one might consider that Company A is growing faster than Company B. which is factually correct, but deceptive.

[It is also the case that one has infinite growth when the starting point is zero.]

The deception in the percentage growth values. is that there is no assurance that when Company A reaches the "product marketed stage" of Company B, it would still be growing at 900% growth rate. In actual settings, the growth rate usually go down that may follow a slight variation from a perfect sigmoidal growth.

I might get kicked out for this, but what I find disappointing is that many authors of blogging sites, like AppleInsider, simply regurgitates the statistics and the fancy graph representations -- without further criticisms. The prevalence of the practice -- simply regurgating "shoddy" statistical analysis -- contributes to the misinformation so common in the age of internet and 24-hour media coverage.

What I find even more astounding is that there are many prolific posters here, who then start with such dubious statistical data -- either
    • to support their defense of a notion that everything Apple does is correct

• or. build the case that "Apple can do nothing right" and thus "Apple is doomed" camp

Good business (high traffic) for blogger sites).

CGC
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, you've grown 100%
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pendejo View Post

No, you've grown 100%

Don't make me say your name...!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I am one with you on this. It is only proper to report relative percentages without showing the raw values, if tracking the relative growth of the same entity, like that of a company.

---snip---

I might get kicked out for this, but what I find disappointing is that many authors of blogging sites, like AppleInsider, simply regurgitates the statistics and the fancy graph representations -- without further criticisms. The prevalence of the practice -- simply regurgating "shoddy" statistical analysis -- contributes to the misinformation so common in the age of internet and 24-hour media coverage.

What I find even more astounding is that there are many prolific posters here, who then start with such dubious statistical data -- either

---snip---

CGC

You have it exactly right.

AppleInsider surely must be pulling in some bucks since I see links to these AI stories everywhere and there are a number of freelance writers who regularly submit stories.

Can AppleInsider afford to hire an editor? If so, hire one with experience. There must be a ton of quality people out of work from the rapidly disappearing print media side of the business. Make AI a top-notch outfit instead of a click-baiting home for hack headlines and Apple-bashing trolls.

How about if we beg nicely?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Why are those charts using Mafia$oft's default OS font?

Because they reek of PowerPointasaurus!!!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    good looking numbers for 2010. although such a rate increase isn't sustainable, i suspect it'll be steady growth (with a few dips) in the long term.