Steve Jobs: Apple will use $51B for big moves, not 'stupid' ones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 193
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    The last time Apple made a big purchase like these investors are suggesting brought Steve Jobs back to Apple along with the brilliant crew of Next. Since then purchases have been a small chip maker here, a specialized software company there, the jukebox company which iTunes is based on (sorry the name escapes me) none of which are household names.

Apple doesn't seem to subscribe to the mentality of companies like, Microsoft-Yahoo, HP-Palm, Time Warner-AOL, etc... who's mergers or acquisitions have not proven to be great successes. Rumors and suggestions that Apple buy Adobe would benefit nobody but Adobe stock holders. Apple seems to look for technologies that have something new and exciting to offer allowing Apple to realize a product fully. Buying a large expensive company like Facebook (which may have peaked in popularity by now) is not how Apple does business. Why buy when you can license or make a deal to integrate a technology that seems timely giving you a way to drop it when the world has moved on.
  • Reply 22 of 193
    Buy my debt!
  • Reply 22 of 193
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Out side of the obvious suspects are there any companies out there with IPs and patents SJ would like to take over I wonder.
  • Reply 24 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Out side of the obvious suspects are there any companies out there with IPs and patents SJ would like to take over I wonder.

Maybe Steve's waiting for investors to wise up about MOT... with a pe of 48 I'm sure they are headed for a fall if they miss their numbers on the 28th.

When Motorola is worth around 10-11 billion I'm sure Steve's mouth will begin to water...
  • Reply 25 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

The last time Apple made a big purchase like these investors are suggesting brought Steve Jobs back to Apple along with the brilliant crew of Next. Since then purchases have been a small chip maker here, a specialized software company there, the jukebox company which iTunes is based on (sorry the name escapes me) none of which are household names.

Apple doesn't seem to subscribe to the mentality of companies like, Microsoft-Yahoo, HP-Palm, Time Warner-AOL, etc... who's mergers or acquisitions have not proven to be great successes. Rumors and suggestions that Apple buy Adobe would benefit nobody but Adobe stock holders. Apple seems to look for technologies that have something new and exciting to offer allowing Apple to realize a product fully. Buying a large expensive company like Facebook (which may have peaked in popularity by now) is not how Apple does business. Why buy when you can license or make a deal to integrate a technology that seems timely giving you a way to drop it when the world has moved on.

I totally agree but there would be some potential to Adobe though. I wonder what it would cost in the end assuming no one else bidding, about $15B?
  • Reply 26 of 193
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

I have a feeling that Jobs recent dinner with the FB CEO, there probably will be some sort of collaboration in the future. I don't think Apple will buy FB, don't see why. They should buy Adobe though. Either way tomorrow should be interesting!

Why would Apple want to spend the money to buy Adobe, then trash the crappy code, probably rebuild it from scratch and get stuck with the most expensive turd in the tech world, Flash? Let Adobe do all the heavy lifting with its apps. The day Adobe abandons its CS apps for Mac is the day they through away half of their income. Before that time comes watch for Apple to be out shopping for a little know company that has been working on the next great photo editing app.
  • Reply 27 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

He's probably still got a hard on for Sony and will buy them out when they start to seriously decline. Either that or he's saving up to buy a movie company like Paramount.

Sony is an idea if Apple are really intending to move into the living room. Then again what does Sony make Apple couldn't make themselves and better in that area? The movie division is an interesting thought. Steve must be sick of arguing the these content providers.
  • Reply 28 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by katastroff View Post

Indeed.

A. Kill Flash, and

B. terminate CS development for Windows.

And lose your investment in a second. Guess you have no clue how corporations work.
  • Reply 29 of 193
    They could buy Adobe and clean it out, but I think that would be more trouble than it's worth.

Apart from the struggle over Flash I don't see why they would want to or need to get stuck in that tarbaby unless to make my life easier out of charity.

It would be easier to build their own stuff that covers a lot of the Adobe bases with it - like a more fully-feaured iWeb or something, or add stuff to Aperture that you can draw with - and give it to us cheap. That would help squeeze Adobe in the Flash wars but it's more direct to fight Flash by making deals and encouraging HTML5 adoption..

I'd like to see them buy Wacom and clean it out, or else find a nice way to add levels of drawing pressure for drawing on iOS devices.

I bet if Apple buy something big that non-techie people like me have actually heard of it will be to aid their push into the living room, like Sony or the rest of Disney, or a big store of musical rights. I bet Steve has Yoko Ono's number too...

Or else they will buy something like the Liquid Metal company or ARM or something to do with the internals. Or maybe buy what's left of the United States Rare Earth industry. China sells cheap now, when it runs out the US stuff left should be worth more -

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/bu...al/20rare.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/18/op...18krugman.html

Come to think of it, I'm big, bold and risky, they could give some of that cash to me... Steve?
  • Reply 30 of 193
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Well said. Apple would have little benefit from buying Adobe, nor would Microsoft for that matter. About half of Adobe's revenue comes from Windows related products, the other Mac related products. If Microsoft were to buy Adobe presumably it would be to put a hurt on Apple. Microsoft would have to pay Adobe for the value of revenue earned on both Mac and Windows based products, only to kill half that value by stopping to make Apple's related products. Same situation would hold true for Apple. Apple wouldn't want to support Adobe's Windows products.

Apple buys small companies, usually at a bargain. Apple likes the cash because it can prepay for a years worth of supplies thereby significantly cutting the cost of those supplies at the expense of it's competitors.

Quote:

• Reply 31 of 193
    Quote:

Why would Apple want to spend the money to buy Adobe, then trash the crappy code, probably rebuild it from scratch and get stuck with the most expensive turd in the tech world, Flash? Let Adobe do all the heavy lifting with its apps. The day Adobe abandons its CS apps for Mac is the day they through away half of their income. Before that time comes watch for Apple to be out shopping for a little know company that has been working on the next great photo editing app.

Well if you put it like that ... But I wish Apple would hurry up and come out with more creative pro apps. Final Cut Stdio shows what they can do with an acquisition. Randy Ubillos was the real gem in that move.
  • Reply 32 of 193
    After all the discussion months ago regarding Apple TV, maybe the eventual direction is to manufacture a TV with the new Apple TV built inside. Not saying tomorrow....down the road.
  • Reply 33 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

And loose your investment in a second. Guess you have no clue how corporations work.

I think the post was meant to be humorous.
  • Reply 34 of 193
    A company like Akami is a much more likely proposition
  • Reply 35 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cascadians View Post

No, Apple will not buy Facebook, since Apple could easily build a much better social networking program from scratch themselves.

Plus they're not really in the social networking business, and I bet Facebook in a few years could look a lot like AOL after Time Warner got stuck with it. Facebook will become old hat and less fashionable than it is now, and when it's not cool it's powers will fade.
  • Reply 36 of 193
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Buy Adobe. Buy Microsoft. Buy Google.
  • Reply 37 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kwoot27 View Post

After all the discussion months ago regarding Apple TV, maybe the eventual direction is to manufacture a TV with the new Apple TV built inside. Not saying tomorrow....down the road.

I wondered about this too. However, if Apple does TV then it will not be like any TV we have ever seen. That is for sure. Remember Steve's feelings when he closed the printer and camera divisions at Apple when he returned a iCEO. Why make something many others make and most better? Steve only does magic remember nothing mundane
  • Reply 38 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Buy Adobe. Buy Microsoft. Buy Google.

Buy off the Monopolies commisioner first though!
  • Reply 39 of 193
    I like the idea of buying Adobe, but I'm not sure that's what Apple needs. They have a number of competing products.

iPhoto/Aperture

vs.

Lightroom

Final Cut Pro

vs.

Adobe Premiere

After Effects

vs.

Motion

Etc. etc. etc. Considering Adobe is still ingesting Macromedia... I'm not sure if now is the time to strike.
  • Reply 40 of 193
    Perhaps rather then buy a company, Apple could roll out its own LTE communications company and rid itself its reliance on the current AT&T et al. camp here in the US.

Apple is now essentially a mobile communications company. What better way to serve its customers and to control the user experience than by providing the network bandwidth themselves?