RIM: Problems with 7-inch tablets only exist in Apple's 'distortion field'

Comments

• Reply 281 of 344
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corax View Post

Low? Comparing manufacturers it's pretty high!

Comparing consumer choice, its pretty low. Choice of hardware, choice of software, etc.

When the product uses an OS that the vast majority of software will not run on, which is different from everybody else in the entire industry, I don't see how your comparison is relevant to the discussion.

As a consumer, I don't much care about a horse race between Apple and Asus. What I care about is buying a computer that will smoothly run the latest, coolest apps, and which will easily connect to all my existing and future peripherals, and will perform well for the foreseeable future.

And I care that the price is lower than the rejected choices.

But maybe I think different.
  • Reply 282 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post

But, the average Smartphone user will usually swing to a non-apple phone because of cost and availability from the carrier of their choice.

I don't think you have the numbers to back that up.

This also hinges on the fact that you define your parameters as iPhone vs every other phone out there. If you defined it as iPhone vs blackberry storm, droid, htc evo, etc, the average consumer prefers the iPhone

Beyond that. I didn't say the average consumer chooses the iPhone. I said they prefer. Meaning that they settle for another phone due to carrier choice (few of the new smart phones are seriously undercutting iPhones price)
  • Reply 283 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Comparing consumer choice, its pretty low. Choice of hardware, choice of software, etc.

When the product uses an OS that the vast majority of software will not run on, which is different from everybody else in the entire industry, I don't see how your comparison is relevant to the discussion.

As a consumer, I don't much care about a horse race between Apple and Asus. What I care about is buying a computer that will smoothly run the latest, coolest apps, and which will easily connect to all my existing and future peripherals, and will perform well for the foreseeable future.

And I care that the price is lower than the rejected choices.

But maybe I think different.

Apple doesn't compete based on price. Don't expect them to. They're doing just fine basing it on user experience
  • Reply 284 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

That thing looks very cool. My guess is that you really need to hold it in your hands and play with it before you can really appreciate it.

Unless and until someone has actually played with it in their hands, I don't see how they could judge whether or not it is magical and mystical and stuff like that.
  • Reply 285 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post

I don't think you have the numbers to back that up.

This also hinges on the fact that you define your parameters as iPhone vs every other phone out there. If you defined it as iPhone vs blackberry storm, droid, htc evo, etc, the average consumer prefers the iPhone

Beyond that. I didn't say the average consumer chooses the iPhone. I said they prefer. Meaning that they settle for another phone due to carrier choice (few of the new smart phones are seriously undercutting iPhones price)

I don't disagree with you.
  • Reply 286 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

So Apple's biggest success appears to be mind control.

No, their biggest success was their personal media player business. They are still riding that wave.
  • Reply 287 of 344
    Quote:

Hey Quadra 610 - - I don?t mind someone disagreeing with me or even arguing a point with me, but DON?T put your words in my mouth just to justify your opinion! And while I don't totaly disagree with you, there are a large number of people that buy products (Yes, even outside the tech market) solely because they look better than a product that offers more of the features they want. After all, you only need to look at guys with trophy wives to prove my point. They are expensive and can?t boil water without burning it, but they look great.

From VNC to Netflix to games to great photography, all wrapped up in the best UI in the biz. That's the iPhone 4, for example. Try actually visiting the App Store sometime.

I find that "IT guys" usually don't get it, although quite a few of them have seen the light and are closet Apple fans. Problem is, they're stuck having to maintain a perpetually broken OS for a living.
  • Reply 288 of 344
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

No, their biggest success was their personal media player business. They are still riding that wave.

There IS NO halo effect?
  • Reply 289 of 344
    Quote:

Macs are very nice. That is why the sell, despite all the other issues.

And technophobes like them. Also old people and artists. Some niche uses, like video production, seem to work well on them.

But for folks who want a powerful machine for a good price, and want to have lots of new cool app choices, not so much.

Cars are very nice too.

But for people who want to plough fields, tractors are a much better choice.

C.
  • Reply 290 of 344
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I am not sure what is meant by Killer Apps - but I can tell you what will not work on a 7" screen.

Magazine apps - like Wired, are already a little cramped on the 10" screen. But still manage to feel like magazine pages.

Halving the screen size will destroy that, and require the user to scroll about, like an iPhone.

Comic Books - currently feel like comic books. Halving them in size destroys the illustion.

Business Documents - currently are close to full size paper. Won't be at half size.

Electronic Newspapers rely on simulating newspaper-like layouts.

and so on.

C.

All good examples of times when the size of the screen is important.

But I doubt that comic books are much mainstream, much less killer. And magazines are not yet at all popular on tablets.

So I think that a bigger screen is better for the stuff you mention, but I still see no killer apps for iPads at all, and certainly no mention of any killer apps that will not work well at all on a 7 incher.

Indeed, while the layout of Newspapers and documents would be different on a 7 inch tablet, portability is more important than layout with those two uses.

So again, what killer apps won't work well on a a 7 inch screen? Sure, bigger is better. Sure, pictures look great big.

But the contention was that killer iPad apps exist. And further, these apps will not work well at 7 inches.

What apps?
  • Reply 291 of 344
    Quote:

That thing looks very cool. My guess is that you really need to hold it in your hands and play with it before you can really appreciate it.

Unless and until someone has actually played with it in their hands, I don't see how they could judge whether or not it is magical and mystical and stuff like that.

Look at those prices though for 7 inches...

(That's what she said!)
  • Reply 292 of 344
    Quote:

Ranking has little to do with averages.

It could be argued, but I'd think it's fair to say the average smartphone consumer prefers the iphone

I don't know what they "prefer", because that usage of the word is vague, to say the least.

But it seems clear that the average consumer prefers to buy a phone that is NOT an iPhone.
  • Reply 293 of 344
    deleted
  • Reply 294 of 344
    Quote:

But, the average Smartphone user will usually swing to a non-apple phone because of cost and availability from the carrier of their choice.

Right. The average consumer usually decides against the iPhone, either consciously and explicitly, or otherwise.

Indeed, the vast majority of consumers do NOT buy an iPhone, but instead, decide on another phone.
  • Reply 295 of 344
    Quote:

All good examples of times when the size of the screen is important.

But I doubt that comic books are much mainstream, much less killer. And magazines are not yet at all popular on tablets.

So I think that a bigger screen is better for the stuff you mention, but I still see no killer apps for iPads at all, and certainly no mention of any killer apps that will not work well at all on a 7 incher.

Indeed, while the layout of Newspapers and documents would be different on a 7 inch tablet, portability is more important than layout with those two uses.

So again, what killer apps won't work well on a a 7 inch screen? Sure, bigger is better. Sure, pictures look great big.

But the contention was that killer iPad apps exist. And further, these apps will not work well at 7 inches.

What apps?

There are many great apps... I'm not a heavy user, but there's good functionality (up to you as to what's "killer") as follows:

Videos - built in app, OplayerHD, CineXPlayer for xvids and stuff

Books - iBooks

PDF - iBooks

MSOffice - DocumentsToGo

Web - Safari, AtomicWeb

Games - Cut The Rope

Stargazing - SkySafari

Magazines - Zinio

I could go on, or I could just send you a screenshot of my home screens

Point is, all the above work nice at the current iPad size. Smaller, may not be as effective.
  • Reply 296 of 344
    Quote:

You need to provide a different ui in a tablet. You can't just make a bigger smartphone

That is the main reason I was so disappointed with the iPad. When I saw that it used a cellphone UI, I kind of wrote it off.
  • Reply 297 of 344
    Quote:

But the world does not work that way!

When one chooses a new phone, one compares phones. And following such comparison, the vast majority of people reject the iPhone and buy something else.

Facts is facts.
  • Reply 298 of 344
    Quote:

What apps?

I would argue that business documents fall into the "Killer" category. I'd say they are essential.

And yes' there are some applications that don't need 10" of screen.

But Apple already make smaller "tablets" with 3.5" screens.

C.
  • Reply 299 of 344
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

But the world does not work that way!

When one chooses a new phone, one compares phones. And following such comparison, the vast majority of people reject the iPhone and buy something else.

Facts is facts.

Mmmm...just joined, 205 posts and a troll...I wonder who you are?
  • Reply 300 of 344
    Quote:

Apple doesn't compete based on price. Don't expect them to. They're doing just fine basing it on user experience

But Apple is changing. There are lots of comments that the $500 iPad price is very attractive, and there are many predictions that other companies will be unable to compete on price with a 9 inch tablet.

ISTM that Apple ain't a company that is relying on huge margins and top-tier hardware. Not anymore. Steve himself said that they had left the camera off an iPod in order to hit a price point, just a year or so ago.

So back in the good old days, Apple didn't compete based on price. But now, they are no longer a high-end computer company, but instead, are a popular-priced CE company.

And competing on price is something they are doing, and IMO, will pursue to generate greater profits.