MacBook Air 11.6 - a great machine

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I went to the London Covent Garden Apple retail store today and got a chance to play with both the 11.6 and the 13 Airs. I was blown away by both of them, particularly their thinness, size and screen resolution. Handling the 11.6 is a marvelous experience, it is just so diminutive. The 13 is no surprise when it comes to footprint, but the newer higher res screen is a beauty.

Both felt decently speedy for launching apps, browsing, watching quicktime trailers, etc.

I have a 17" MacBook Pro and have been wanting an "iPad-plus'' since the iPads were announced, something that could do most of what my 17" can do, but in a more portable frame.

I know there are a lot of disappointed people out there, looking for power and small size combined - well guys, it just doesn't exist yet. These new Airs are clearly out there to augment what you already have, not be a primary computer. I agree that the lack of a backlit keyboard is disappointing, but as a touch-typer, this is by no means a deal breaker for me. Everything else, spec-wise, is absolutely adequate for the use these machines are intended for.

For me, the 11.6" is the perfect companion machine to what I already have - a beautiful, svelte machine, which has ample processing power for most standard computing tasks, and if I need more on the move, I can always lug around the 17" big brother.

There is no doubt these are great machines, for what they are. I'm no pro-user, but I'm totally sold. I ordered an 11.6 with 4gb ram and the 1.6 processor on the spot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Glad to hear it.

I've had an MBA since the first one; now on my second (updated to SSD last year). Love it. The only beef I have is the USB connector is not the best.

Went to my local reseller yesterday but they haven't got stock in yet. Will go back every day until they do; really want to see the 11.6. The new USB connection looks great.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Santa got my Christmas list a little early this year. The 11.6 is WOW.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drxcm View Post

I agree that the lack of a backlit keyboard is disappointing, but as a touch-typer, this is by no means a deal breaker for me....I ordered an 11.6 with 4gb ram and the 1.6 processor on the spot.

I wanted the same one as you but for me there is a deal breaker: lack of a lock slot in both models. I am not necessarily blaming Apple here since I don't know if there are any locks for slim laptops, nevertheless the result is the same in the end: no MBA for me because of that.

I need to take in the office sometimes but there it will remain unattended for some time during the day. This is enough for such a small machine to get stolen very easily by a casual theft and no one will notice.

EDIT: I was in the Kensington website and I saw that they have security solutions for ultra-compact and mini portables. They should fit the MBA, no?