President Obama meets Steve Jobs to discuss economy, technology

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
U.S. President Barack Obama and Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs are scheduled to meet Thursday to talk about economy and technology issues.

Update: The meeting took place Thursday afternoon. During the meeting, Jobs and Obama "discussed American competitiveness and education, especially reforms such as the President's Race to the Top initiative," a White House spokesperson said in a statement. The two also talked about "energy independence and ways to increase job creation," Reuters reports.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said earlier Thursday that Obama and Jobs would meet at a San Francisco Hotel for about 45 minutes, Bloomberg reports. Jobs, who has supported Democratic candidates and organizations before, last met with Obama in 2008 during the presidential campaign.

?This is a meeting the president was interested in having,? Gibbs said. ?He?s eager to talk to him about the economy, innovation and technology, education.?

According to the report, Obama is in the San Francisco Bay Area to help raise money for the Democratic National Committee. Google vice president Marissa Mayer and clean technology venture capitalist Steve Westly will each host a fundraiser at their homes Thursday. Tickets to the event at Mayer's house cost $30,000 a head, reports the San Francisco Chronicle. A Democratic Party official told Bloomberg that the DNC hopes to raise as much as $1.8 million from the two events.

Obama has embarked on a five-state trip to raise money for his fellow Democratic candidates. On Friday, he'll attend an event in Los Angeles for incumbent Senator Barbara Boxer, who is being challenged by former HP CEO and Republican Carly Fiorina.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 138
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Steve jobs for president 2012
  • Reply 2 of 138
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    How about they find a mutually agreeable way to get a bit more tax revenue from Google?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...loopholes.html
  • Reply 3 of 138
    I can understand the 'technology' thing, but I find it amusing that Obama wants to talk about the economy with the CEO of one of the few companies that's actually doing spectacularly in this economy. Jobs will likely say, "Economy? I didn't realize there was a problem with the economy. Our company is doing awesome! Oh, and let me show you my new Aston Martin out in the parking lot...."
  • Reply 4 of 138
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Cool. Two amazing minds meet.
  • Reply 5 of 138
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Man oh man, would I love to be a fly on that wall.
  • Reply 6 of 138
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I hope SJ gives our President and iPhone and an iPad and offers to trash his BB
  • Reply 7 of 138
    once they shake hands, Jobs is cursed. it will be the Obama death touch. Time to sell my stock.

Jobs will be dead in a year.
  • Reply 8 of 138
    Barack, Barack...all this just to get a free MacBook Air!
  • Reply 9 of 138
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I can understand the 'technology' thing, but I find it amusing that Obama wants to talk about the economy with the CEO of one of the few companies that's actually doing spectacularly in this economy. Jobs will likely say, "Economy? I didn't realize there was a problem with the economy. Our company is doing awesome! Oh, and let me show you my new Aston Martin out in the parking lot...."

Oh give me a break.

Did it ever occur that he (Obama) might like some insight into why Apple is rocking when the rest of the economy stinks?

IMHO I think our President has discovered all too well that life in the White House is in a vacuum. One that absolutely stifles any new ideas and or imagination. Talking with Steve on how Apple takes great ideas and make them reality would be a much better use of their time together.
  • Reply 10 of 138
    This is what happens when u announce $51B in cash is available around campaign time.
  • Reply 11 of 138
    I bet Jobs will talk Obama into getting rid of his blackberry and replace it with an iPhone...
  • Reply 12 of 138
    Would like to see Apple bring some of the manufacturing jobs back to the States, with incentives from the States and Administration, of course. I have no probelm paying a few dollars more for Apple porducts if they were truly made in the U.S.
  • Reply 13 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

This is what happens when u announce $51B in cash is available around campaign time.

Ha! Good one...
  • Reply 14 of 138
    This should be a most amusing thread.
  • Reply 15 of 138
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkPeople View Post

Would like to see Apple bring some of the manufacturing jobs back to the States, with incentives from the States and Administration, of course. I have no probelm paying a few dollars more for Apple porducts if they were truly made in the U.S.

That would be awesome even if it were a pilot program. Too bad it would never fly with our multination-corporate-owned media who would rip it apart like crazy despite it being good for everyone.
  • Reply 16 of 138
    Quote:

Don't fool yourself. This meeting is all about convincing Steve/Apple to give money to the Democrats.

Since our senile supreme court has opened the floodgate, Apple can give as much as it wants to special interest groups.

And they don't even have to report it.
  • Reply 17 of 138
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

• Reply 18 of 138
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?This is a meeting the president was interested in having,? Gibbs said. ?He?s eager to talk to him about the economy, innovation and technology, education.?

Shit, not education.

I'm a fan of both Obama and Jobs, but they both have the wrong take on how to "fix" education in America.

Neither of their answers will involve actually empowering the teachers... Jobs wants to go charter schools and Obama wants to extend Bush's NCLB.

Both of these are not going to solve anything.
  • Reply 19 of 138
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Maybe we now know what Apple and Jobs are saving up all that money for: United States of Apple

2) I really wish my president wasn’t doing as many things that make it look like he’s just having a good time on the job. I don’t know if he is or isn’t, or how much he’s accomplished cleaning up the last tenant’s mess, but his appearances on The View and this just seem out of place with what he needs to present to the people. What’s next, Obama gets a cameo on the all new Hawaii 5.0?

3) I wonder when Obama will trade up his Canadian Blackberry for an American iPhone? If I were Jobs I’d be offering to put an iPhone in the hands of the President of the US.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I can understand the 'technology' thing, but I find it amusing that Obama wants to talk about the economy with the CEO of one of the few companies that's actually doing spectacularly in this economy.

That’s like Head-and-Shoulders logic.
  • Reply 20 of 138
    Run, Steve, run. You've earned your money and lots of it. And that's not fair. Obama wants it. He's going to ask nicely before he attempts to tear it out of your hands. Just like the government is doing to the rest of us producers.