HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 101 of 433
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That depends on the HW requirements of your office SW. What?s the minimum CPU type and speed?

I don't know. How do I find out? Do I have to hire one of those "tech" guys you speak about?
  • Reply 102 of 433
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

I say kudos to HP for releasing the Slate. Competition is good.

Competition is good, but this is not really competing with the iPad. Sure, they are both considered tablets, but I can?t many people hemming and hawing over an tablet designed from the ground up for the HW and a tablet that was sandwiched a desktop OS designed mainly much faster HW into a tablet form. I think HP?s WebOS tablets offer much more potential considering the fit and form of their HP Slate HW. Who knows, maybe HP can learn to be a good OS/SW developer. That?s the competition that we really need in the market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

An attractive option for whom, exactly?

So let me get this straight: You think people will opt for this bloated keyboard-less netbook because it has a USB port, and thus will then go out and buy a USB wireless card for 3G access. Then what? Surf?

He seems to forget that the iPad has a 3G option. He also seems to have forgotten that any vendor can access the 30-pin connector which uses USB signaling.
  • Reply 103 of 433
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I can create an excel spreadsheet and send it to you from my iPhone.

I won't tell you how either.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

My guys are already sending in 'stock lists" on the iPad, and I don't know how. They are doing it in excell.... and they won't tell me. This looks even better to me.

• Reply 104 of 433
    Polish a Turd, its still a Turd
  • Reply 105 of 433
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Once you figure in the 17 Gigs for a full version of windows 7 before it starts to bloat and the relatively large size of Windows programs like Office, there wont be much space left so you will need to add more flash and 2 gigs of ram sounds like a minimum for running 7 efficiently. Wait, does this thing have a cdrom? How will you get all of those wonderful full programs on CD installed? And battery life will be a joke!!

Why would you install "a full version of windows"? It includes a lot of drivers and other stuff that would be inapplicable.

My guess is that like every other OEM, they will install a version of Windows that is certain to work perfectly with the hardware, but which excludes unnecessary pieces. Generally, you can set up Windows to keep the unnecessary, but potentially useful pieces compressed and uninstalled. The stuff that is unnecessary takes up little or no space.

WRT Office, it too is modular, and you can install only what you use. Most people use Outlook and Word. A few mid-level types use powerpoint.
  • Reply 106 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

An attractive option for whom, exactly?

So let me get this straight: You think people will opt for this bloated keyboard-less netbook because it has a USB port, and thus will then go out and buy a USB wireless card for 3G access. Then what? Surf?

Do people in the business world need to use the internet when they are on the road? I bet they do. If they operate in a portion of the word that has poor ATT coverage, then yes, this product might be a viable option.
  • Reply 107 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He seems to forget that the iPad has a 3G option. He also seems to have forgotten that any vendor can access the 30-pin connector which uses USB signaling.

So the iPad can work with Verizon and Sprint and T-Mobile? Didn't know that. Thanks for the update.
  • Reply 108 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macgenius View Post

Polish a Turd, its still a Turd

I didn't really understand it before, but now i think I know what "Fan Boy" means.
  • Reply 109 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Do people in the business world need to use the internet when they are on the road? I bet they do. If they operate in a portion of the word that has poor ATT coverage, then yes, this product might be a viable option.

Very good question. Help us out please....
  • Reply 110 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post

I know, it is only licensed to netbooks, but given the specs of the slate, wouldn't it qualify? Or is there a more specific list of maximum system requirements, i.e. MS definition of a netbook?

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit).

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

Additional requirements to use certain features:

Internet access (fees may apply).

Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware.

Some games and programs might require a graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 or higher for optimal performance.

For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required.

Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware.

HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7.

DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive.

BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2.

BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive.

Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM and an additional 15 GB of available hard disk space.

Music and sound require audio output.

Product functionality and graphics may vary based on your system configuration. Some features may require advanced or additional hardware.

PCs with multi-core processors:

Windows 7 was designed to work with today's multi-core processors. All 32-bit versions of Windows 7 can support up to 32 processor cores, while 64‑bit versions can support up to 256 processor cores.

PCs with multiple processors (CPUs):

Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers. Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor.
  • Reply 111 of 433
    Quote:

I didn't really understand it before, but now i think I know what "Fan Boy" means.

Yeah, and this place is full of them. That's the problem here.
  • Reply 112 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

this is aimed at businesses yeah, not consumers..

.. So these would be the businesses who have spent most of 2010 testing and rolling out ipad and preparing custom software. The same businesses who also push virtualized sessions of windows whatever to their iPads with no tablet resource limits.

Ah yes, of course.. It should be an easy sell

Are you under the impression that the iPad is popular in enterprise contexts? I have seen zero evidence for that.

Got any examples?
  • Reply 113 of 433
    Quote:

Very good question. Help us out please....

Be happy to. Apple has absolutely no business chaining the iPad to AT&T's 3G network. You might be able to justify this in the phone space, but the iPad is not a phone and it should have been open to every carrier from day one. To do otherwise is monolithic and I think we have enough of that in this business.

Put a USB port and let users get the best service for the area of the planet they work in. Do that and anyone can buy an iPad and use it in the Enterprise space.

Any questions class?
  • Reply 114 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit).

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit).

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

Additional requirements to use certain features:

Internet access (fees may apply).

Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware.

Some games and programs might require a graphics card compatible with DirectX 10 or higher for optimal performance.

For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required.

Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware.

HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7.

DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive.

BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2.

BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive.

Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM and an additional 15 GB of available hard disk space.

Music and sound require audio output.

Product functionality and graphics may vary based on your system configuration. Some features may require advanced or additional hardware.

PCs with multi-core processors:

Windows 7 was designed to work with today's multi-core processors. All 32-bit versions of Windows 7 can support up to 32 processor cores, while 64‑bit versions can support up to 256 processor cores.

PCs with multiple processors (CPUs):

Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers. Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor.

As a buisnes owner, and you know what your talking about, will this run my office software? It's a simple question, and I'm sure you have a lot of answers, but I just need a yes or no. You're the guys that know what's up with this stuff. My guys are using excell on their iPad. Should I buy more of them, or this? It's windows, so it should work with everything else I have right?
  • Reply 115 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 7. Unless you are one of those extreme Apple fanboys that worships Steve Jobs every night before you go to bed and believe Windows and Linux cause cancer.

I wouldn't go so far as to claim that there is nothing wrong with it.

But the fact is, it works great. It does everything folks want to do, easily and seamlessly. It is compatible with the vast majority of PC software now being written. Choices, choices.

The software choices alone make it the only OS worth considering. The hardware choices are icing on the cake.
  • Reply 116 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Don't even bother, half the people here do no research whatsoever and just post typical anti-Microsoft fluff.

"Dance for us, Monkey boy! Dance!" is a typical response to a technological breakthrough by M$.
  • Reply 117 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Could you provide evidence that the XBox is *still* a financial hole? They are selling a lot, and I really doubt they aren't already in the green. Kinect will be a huge success too, so I don't think that XBox really counts as a failure. At least they are shipping real products with real impressive innovation, and they will have the possibility (will they have the vision?) to make a similar move of Apple "Back to Mac", and bring kinect technology "back to pc". Yes, multitouch on the vertical screen may be stupid, but kinect tech may bring incredible novelties on the future UIs of operating systems.

I know it's easy to do a big MS landslide of snark remarks, but I think that Xbox really stands out from the general mediocrity provided by MS. Windows 7 is also not really that bad.

Uh, you can have a positive balance sheet in a given quarter... that doesn't mean it has compensated for the years of astronomical losses.

Yes, look at this quarter, or even the last half dozen, and you may see MS have just about sold more Xboxes than have been returned. Ooooh, it's in the green!

Look at the overall product, though, and it has still lost money. Tons. Need links? Just add up all the quarterly reports -- with the real bottom lines.

Apple just had a quarterly call to analysts. Looking at the iPad:

Apple gets a lot out of its R&D budget. Much more than MS. You can take Apple's TOTAL R&D budget for the last several years if you like (iPad and everything else as well). Take estimated operating and material costs for the ramp up in production for X millions of units for the two or three months leading up to launch early this year. Add all these millions up.

Now look at the revenue that Apple just announced for the last two quarters on the iPad alone (when they sold a million or so in the first week!). Those several billions of revenue probably covers ALL the costs listed above! When Apple says they have 4 Billion in profit this quarter, and put billions away in the bank -- it is because they already dealt with all their costs. They aren't shifting things around from previous years or quarters. They have no losses or debts that they have to cover with revenue from other areas of their business. I bet the iPad is, actually, profitable already; and it is only six months old.

I believe that when MS says the Xbox is now "making money" it is because it is comparing its current revenue to its current costs. Heck, they don't have to manufacture any in the current quarter -- they have a bunch of unsold stock in the channels! So, of course, ANY that they sell (after they take off all the returned ones) are free and clear...at least as far as figures are concerned for the current quarter. MS also has to sell some at good margins to cover all the loss leaders and discounted units. Apple doesn't have to worry about margins on ANY single unit of ANY of its products; Apple runs a tight ship from start to finish and plans ahead. The debts and losses on the Xbox [edit] in the past will have been covered by the enormous profits they were getting in their profitable businesses like Office. If their profits are similar now, and they have no current Xbox losses to cover, I guess it means they are selling less of their profitable products.

Simply put, from different things I have read, I think the Xbox has, overall, cost MS more than it has made MS, to date. But of course MS is not going to come right out and say that or make that easy to add up (just as Apple doesn't break out individual products sometimes). It's like the Channel Tunnel -- you can say it is making a positive operating profit right now... but that does not erase the years of bad debt, re-financing, losses, and complete hole that it was for many years because it went over budget and was mis-managed.

Edit: If you put the quarterly results side by side (and I am just making this up, so don't quote me), just for fun, you might have gotten something like this for several years:

Apple -- 20 billion in revenue, 4 billion of that is profit.

Break it out: 1 billion profit from Mac, 1 from iPhone, 1 from iPod, 1 from iPad.

MS -- 20 billion in revenue, 4 billion of that is profit.

Break it out: 8 billion in profit from Windows and Office (afterall it doesn't cost a lot to generate license numbers for OEM's), minus 4 Billion from assorted losses and bungling and crazy marketing schemes that try to disguise the same old stuff with new names.
  • Reply 118 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

OSX Is only 9 GB, windows 7 is 14 GB (32bit) or 20gb (64bit).

That's up to 11 GB of space "saved" by having OSX as opposed to '7

11 Gigs is insignificant in today's world. Disk space is cheap.
  • Reply 119 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Yeah, and this place is full of them. That's the problem here.

I guess my problem is that I thought I would get answers here. I'm better off calling tech support. My server is Microsoft though... My guys are using IPads. I don't think my answers will be great.
  • Reply 120 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

May be true, but if you think that windows 7 pack whatever will be enough to bring win 7 to a coherent multitouch experience, you are the one in insane denial. It's a pathetic strategy, one that sheds light into the complete lack of sense from MS. They know this by now, having almost shipped a revamped win mobile version that is totally unlike windows itself. Perhaps they will take another 3 years to figure out that win 7 is probably not the ideal OS to bring to tablets... by that time android and iOS will be like 95% of the world market, with hundreds of million tablets being sold per year. Bye bye MS, it was good while it lasted (or not...)

"Don't even bother, half the people here do no research whatsoever and just post typical anti-Microsoft fluff."

Are you trying to prove his point?

What research have you done? Have you EVER used a Win7 tablet? Once?

The posting is typical anti-Microsoft fluff. And the posting is not based upon research. It is all conjecture based upon typical anti-Microsoft fluff.