HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 121 of 433
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

We do know one thing.... it has windows on it....and windows 7 at that. eeek!

I'll diss this tablet for a lot of things but not Windows. Because that is the least of the issues. The slow processor and low ram in a machine meant to be a 'fully functioning computer' is a bigger issue in my book. The up to 5 hours of battery is a bigger issue in my book.

I have to agree with the folks that say that HP and Microsoft don't get it. Apple walked in knowing that a tablet, at this point, wouldn't be a full computer. And they didn't try to make one. It seems like Microsoft just said "whatever Apple did, we'll do the opposite and that will make ours better". So full Windows, USB port, expandable memory, etc.

We'll see once it comes out, but I suspect that the size will be uncomfortable for many programs and the battery life will totally suck. ANd those two things will break the slate
  • Reply 122 of 433
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwardryu View Post

hardware on the side of PC is great always. but what they don't know is how to make really acceptable, friendly UI which is totally fit into that device. full windows 7? totally misunderstand to translate what mobile UI should be. just it can't work.

Me, personally, I have no interest whatsoever in a tablet computer that includes only a cellphone OS. I already have an iPhone, and the limitations frustrate me. When I want to use a real computer on the couch, I sure as hell don't use my iPhone. I use my laptop.
  • Reply 123 of 433
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    I guess we shall have to wait for the hands on reviews...

Just like we did for Win Phone 7.. and wow was that underwhelming response predictable.

The predictability of the reviews for HP's Windows 7 Slate is just as great.

It's a knockout DOA product. Why?

Microsoft does not do refined. It does not do small or compact. It does not do elegant. It does not do speedy or quick. It does do bloat, and slow, and buggy.

Good luck with that HP - go back to WebOS and start again before you embarrass yourselves.
  • Reply 124 of 433
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Yeah, and this place is full of them. That's the problem here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I can create an excel spreadsheet and send it to you from my iPhone.

I won't tell you how either.

I know. I've lived through this... but thanks!
  • Reply 125 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

It's really too bad that it runs Windows, but I'm very impressed with the feature set of this product.

There are a lot of things about my iPad that make me think that it is just not quite what it should have been hardware-wise. The HP Slate seems to have addressed most of my concerns. It's got USB, an SD card reader, front and back facing cameras, a lot more RAM, a user accessible file system, and you can use a stylus instead of finger painting like a 2-year-old. That dock/stand combo that docks in landscape mode with a built-in USB hub and HDMI port is brilliant too.

Here's a full comparison prepared by HP:

• Reply 126 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

and you can use a stylus instead of finger painting like a 2-year-old.

I see a lot of folks make this statement and it makes me laugh.

You CAN use a stylus with an iphone/touch/ipad. Folks do it all the time. Hell I just bought a copy of the new ilife and some other stuff at an apple store yesterday and they handed me a stylus to sign for my credit card on their little touch pay thing

iOS is NOT anti-stylus. It is anti 'you must have a stylus'. By not requiring a stylus for use like in the old days, when you drop your Pogo or whatever by accident, you aren't walking around with a very pretty brick that you can't control, until you get a new one. That's all. But if you want to use something other than your finger, there's lots of choices out there to enjoy
  • Reply 127 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail;1739167

Which do you think works better for usability?

I have no way of knowing, because I have never used the new HP tablet.

Have you?

How about playing web videos, which is a very popular passtime for millions of people. Does the iPad work better?

Got some specific examples from actual experience? Or is this all just fluff?
  • Reply 128 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

If HP wants to battle Apple then them mofos need to get busy with their own software, ecosystem, something. Cause the only thing I see is a flat box with windows and intel shoved up its a**. What the hell did HP bring to the table that ain't already on the freaking market?

This is HP's desperate attempt at trying to outdo the ipad when the ipad is already kicking the butts of netbooks running windows. Does HP think we're blind!? C'mon man!

And they say this trash is suppose to be targeted to the enterprise market. Yeah, whatever! The enterprise market already has access to a bevy of high end windows tablets that, by the way, are out of the reach for normal consumer.

Oh and since its windows I'll have to install Nortons right? The ipad has no viruses baby!

Moreover why the hell would I give up iworks for ipad, the app store, a virus free environment and the Apple's world class media ecosystem for some bull**** windows tablet? I don't need the bloat.

Thank you and good night.

You seem to have very particular attitudes. IMO, the vast majority of consumers think different from you.

Anti-virus, for example, usually comes preinstalled, and is a "set it and forget it" background process. And the number of people who use iWork instead of Office is a rounding error.

I think that what is important to you is irrelevant to the typical consumer.
  • Reply 129 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevt View Post

. I can imagine there being a few in business for whom the Windows on a Tablet would hold appeal, but relatively few in the consumer marketplace.

The same could have been said about the Mac versus Windows 3.1 circa 1987. How did that work out?
  • Reply 130 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

11 Gigs is insignificant in today's world. Disk space is cheap.

Not when you only have 64gig to play with.
  • Reply 131 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Be happy to. Apple has absolutely no business chaining the iPad to AT&T's 3G network.

Except that they didn't really chain it. they actually left it unlocked so any carrier that steps up to support the tech in the ipad is welcome to do it. Just happens that in the US right now that is only ATT. But anyone is welcome to change that if they like. So who knows what will happen even a week from now
  • Reply 132 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I don't see why people would buy this over a laptop/netbook?

They will buy it because it is magical. Imagine having the whole internet in your hands!

Likely nobody can possibly know how wonderful it is unless and until they have held it in their hands. Indeed, unless and until posters actually use it, they can't possible experience the User Experience of the new product. And as we know, it is the User Experience that counts for the most of everything.

As of now, all we know is that the tech specs blow away the iPad. But which one is more magical? We don't know yet.
  • Reply 133 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Here's a full comparison prepared by HP:

That looks a little old... Some of the specs on the Slate have bumped up but there's also one that's bumped up A LOT. Check out what engadget had as the price - 549-599. Where they are at now would turn every single iPad version into the red color for threat.

I was really skeptical when Apple put out the iPad about how competitively priced it was since most of the stuff costs more but the fact that nobody seems to be able to make these things even at the same cost Apple must really be doing something right...
  • Reply 134 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

All done with a stylus....

The device has a capacitive touchscreen. Why would everything have to be done with a stylus? What caused you to conclude that?
  • Reply 135 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter02l View Post

What is exactly in this product that Apple might feel compelled to compete against?

The ability to watch web videos of one's choice? The ability to run regular software, instead of stripped-down apps? The abililty to buy software from the vendor of your own choice, instead of having only one vendor?

Does the HP have an HDMI port? Will it output 5.1 sound? Does it use a standard aspect ratio? Can I use a touchpad when I put it in a dock, so I don't have to stretch my arm to point?

Dunno, but I think that Apple has some room to grow. I think that putting a cellphone OS on a computer was a huge mistake.
  • Reply 136 of 433
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

That looks a little old... Some of the specs on the Slate have bumped up but there's also one that's bumped up A LOT. Check out what engadget had as the price - 549-599. Where they are at now would turn every single iPad version into the red color for threat.

I was really skeptical when Apple put out the iPad about how competitively priced it was since most of the stuff costs more but the fact that nobody seems to be able to make these things even at the same cost Apple must really be doing something right...

That troll calls objective poster ?fan boys? but then drops an image that uses ?HP Advantage? and ?HP threat? with false or conveniently removed stats. Where is the ?iPad advantage? or iPad threat?. Can we ban this guy already for mucking up the forum? I?d like to get back to having reasonable discussions with reasonable people.
  • Reply 137 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Except that they didn't really chain it. they actually left it unlocked so any carrier that steps up to support the tech in the ipad is welcome to do it. Just happens that in the US right now that is only ATT. But anyone is welcome to change that if they like. So who knows what will happen even a week from now

What's the difference? It doesn't work on all carriers right now.

If you are a business person and you are on the road and need to stay connected and you work in an area with poor ATT coverage, you will not buy an iPad and you may get this HP thing with the USB port. That is bad for Apple's business which affects the stock holders.

Get it?
  • Reply 138 of 433
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Total, unmitigated fail.

I thought HP canned this idea months ago.

Typical solution when your product can't compete with the iPad: just say it's aimed at the "business" crowd.

Exept they're getting in on the iPad, too.

Stupidity runs high in corp. IT. They have tunnel thinking, and will see this as a device that will fit right in with their existing provisioning systems - which it will since it's full Windows, the fact that it's usability is dismal is unimportant. I'm sure HP will sell lots of these to companies who want to be 'hip' but where IT dictates Windows.
  • Reply 139 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That troll calls objective poster ?fan boys? but then drops an image that uses ?HP Advantage? and ?HP threat? with false or conveniently removed stats. Where is the ?iPad advantage? or iPad threat?. Can we ban this guy already for mucking up the forum? I?d like to get back to having reasonable discussions with reasonable people.

Everyone has being doing an admirable job of ignoring this fool over the last few days. I just don't understand why anyone would spend their time day after day trolling any forum. It's just weird.

As far as the Slate is concerned... it will certainly appeal to some but it certainly won't sell millions per month. My guess... it will crash quite often and drive users nuts... but we'll see.
  • Reply 140 of 433
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Windows 7 32bit 14gb

Windows 7 64bit 20gb

OS X 10.6.4 9gb

My install of MacOS X 10.6.4 is 11.07GB - still less than Windows if your numbers are accurate. I don't know how you got only 9GB unless you've removed stuff.