What iPhone alternative for PdaNet?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
PdaNet is a very convenient app. When installed on both a laptop and a smartphone, connected via USB or Bluetooth, the laptop has full access to the internet where-ever there's a phone signal, using the phone as a "hot-spot". No 'dongles' required.

However, Apple doesn't allow PdaNet into the App Store and PdaNet will work only on jailbreaked iPhones.

Why the lockout? Is there something similar or better from Apple for iPhones? Or does Apple simply not have an alternative yet?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    No alternative yet, eh!

Apple will probably want to release this funcionality amid a lot of hoopla with the next major iOS update as if they invented it themselves. And when would that be?

Meanwhile Android, PalmOS, Windows Mobile, Blackberry and Cydia users can enjoy this feature today, for free...!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

PdaNet is a very convenient app. When installed on both a laptop and a smartphone, connected via USB or Bluetooth, the laptop has full access to the internet where-ever there's a phone signal, using the phone as a "hot-spot". No 'dongles' required.

However, Apple doesn't allow PdaNet into the App Store and PdaNet will work only on jailbreaked iPhones.

Why the lockout? Is there something similar or better from Apple for iPhones? Or does Apple simply not have an alternative yet?

The best App for jailbroken phones is MyWi. It turns the phone into a WiFi hotspot.

Developers can install iProxy, which is a clunky solution but does just about work and does not involve jailbreaking.

Other than that, your best bet is paying your carrier to enable tethering. My carrier includes this for free.

C.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    You are asking for an alternative to pdanet for functionality that is built into iOS since 3.1. iPhones can all share their data connection via USB or Bluetooth. The advantage pdanet has is that it will work regardless of your carrier has enabled tethering on your account or not.

You didn't ask, but as carniphage mentioned, if you want to share the phone's data connection over wifi, then you will have to jailbreak.

Given the parameters of your actual question, I have to wonder if it was a serious question. Sounds a bit like asking why iOS doesn't support MMS or VOIP over 3G or copy and paste, because of course it does.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

if you want to share the phone's data connection over wifi, then you will have to jailbreak.

That's what I thought: iPhone doesn't have that functionality (yet).
  • Reply 5 of 6
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

That is absolutely not the case.

The iPhone has built-in tethering. Since iPhoneOS 3.0 I think.

It's up to the carrier whether to turn it on or not.

C.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

WTF? That isn't even remotely close to what you actually asked. You asked about USB and bluetooth data sharing. It is built in, no need for PDANet.