Apple's new 11" MacBook Air a "much faster iPad" or "much slower MacBook Pro"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The first benchmarks on Apple's new MacBook Airs have hit the web, revealing that the 13.3-inch models trail the company's similarly-sized MacBook Pros by a small margin while the 11.6-inch models fall far shorter in processing power, and may be more appropriately categorized as a larger, faster iPad.

Geekbench developer Primate Labs has compiled scores from the Geekbench Result Browser for all the standard MacBook Air CPU configurations dating back to 2008 and pit them against scores for the iPad and the latest 13-inch MacBook Pro models, as those are the two products most customers will use as comparisons.

The new 13.3-inch MacBook Airs, which include a 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo processor, faired pretty well, posting scores that suggest it's capable of roughly 80% of the performance of the latest 13.3-inch MacBook Pros, which ship with 2.4GHz and 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo chips.

On the other hand, the 11.6-inch MacBook Air, which includes a 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo, was only capable of reaching 60% of the performance of the 2.4GHz 13.3-inch MacBook Pro, raising questions as to whether it would make a good fit as a primary machine.

"There are two ways you can look at the new 11-inch MacBook Air; it's either a much smaller but slower MacBook Pro, or a much faster but larger iPad," wrote Geekbench author John Poole. "The 11-inch MacBook Air is small enough that I'd consider bringing it instead of an iPad, but I'd worry it's not fast enough (or have enough screen space) to be my primary laptop."

It should be noted that Poole did not include scores for Late 2010 1.6GHz or 2.13GHz MacBook Airs, which are $100 build-to-order options for the 11.6- and 13.3-inch models, respectively, through Apple's online store.

AppleInsider recently published a first look at the new Airs ahead of its formal review. It also lined up a deal with reseller MacMall, which is currently offering AppleInsider readers an additional 3% off its already reduced pricing when ordering online using the links in the chart below, or through AppleInsider's full-fledged Mac Price Guide. It's also offering $102 savings off a high-end, non-standard 13.3-inch configuration that includes the 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo processor mentioned above.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    I doubt this performance is a shock to anyone. The thing that sells the Air is the size/portability of the device - not performance. There has always been a performance gap but it is acceptable to those with this need.

I personally would take the extra weight for performance and display size but I think what they have squeezed into these small pkgs is amazing.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    Benchmark performance differences:

Between 13"MBP 2.4GHz and 11"Air 1.4GHz ? 1332

Between 11"Air 1.4GHz and iPad ? 1573

Conclusion, the 11"Air 1.4GHz is more similar in performance stats to a MBP, therefore it is more analogous of a slower MBP.
  • Reply 3 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RepreeThis View Post

Between 13"MBP 2.4GHz and 11"Air 1.4GHz — 1332

Between 11"Air 1.4GHz and iPad — 1573

Conclusion, the 11"Air 1.4GHz is more similar in performance stats to a MBP, therefore it is more analogous of a slower MBP.

Note that the test was done based on browsing. Add to that the fact that the Air has a full operating system to run real programs (i.e. more than just apps...you can do your taxes on it, for example), has USB ports for extra storage and connectivity, has a keyboard, etc....it's even more obvious that it's a slow MBP, and not a fast iPad.

Plus....the iPad needs a 'real' computer to snyc with. It's not stand-alone. You can sync an iPad with a Macbook Air, just like any other Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    Quote:

I'll buy that. Discussion closed.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    I think the new macbook air is analogous to a really really fast ipod nano with a way bigger screen and a keyboard
  • Reply 6 of 75
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I don't think it's for me, but it's perfect for so many other people. One day the same sizes will contain the fastest processors available, at which time my interest will peak.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    For me, the Air is unquestionably "snappier" than the Macbook Pro in real-world use. I realize that the Air has a slower CPU so it's no surprise that the Air performs worse on the benchmark tests. I've used a 2.33Ghz Macbook Pro for years but for the past two days, I've been using 1.4Ghz 11" Air, and the Air starts up in seconds, apps open almost instantly, web pages load instantly, and every task takes much less time to complete than on my Macbook Pro. Maybe this is because the Air is newer and has fewer resident processes, maybe the faster Flash drive on the Air makes up for the CPU, maybe the Air will suffer during heavy-CPU tasks, or maybe I just have a slow Macbook Pro, but whatever the reason, the Air completes the mundane tasks much faster.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Okay, the Macbook Air is slower than a Macbook Pro....we get it.

But, I don't think that matters to a majority of the people who will buy one. My new Macbook Air is perfect as my primary computer (on my desk), while the Mac Mini is connected to the TV. I don't think many hard-core geeks/computer folks understand that such a small and lightweight machine is fine for a vast majority of the people "out there". I won't do photoshop on this machine, but I don't use photoshot....the only heavy duty program I use is Arc GIS (on the Windows 7 partition) when connected to my desktop LCD monitor. The rest? email, web browsing, music, videos, etc. It works just fine.

So, for those who don't like it, don't buy it.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    There's objective performance measurements (CPU speed, etc) and then there's perceived performance. My experience playing with both Airs at the Apple Store, as well as reviews, tell me that the flash ram more than makes up for the CPU differences.

The damned thing just FEELS fast, and frankly that's all that matters to me, particularly if I need its other features (e.g. ultra-light portability.)

But as much as I drool over this thing, I just don't need it for my own use cases.

An iMac at home and an iPhone in my pocket, and when necessary, an iPad in my bag, and I have yet to find a situation where I'm wanting.

I think they've filled the niches pretty completely now.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    Notice that this year's 1.86Ghz Macbook Air is faster than the last model's 1.86GHz Macbook Air which is 251 geek points higher. They both are using the same L9400 Core 2 Duo.
  • Reply 11 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"There are two ways you can look at the new 11-inch MacBook Air; it's either a much smaller but slower MacBook Pro, or a much faster but larger iPad," wrote Geekbench author John Poole. "The 11-inch MacBook Air is small enough that I'd consider bringing it instead of an iPad, but I'd worry it's not fast enough (or have enough screen space) to be my primary laptop."

Its a silly article. I am not sure the Airs were ever really designed to be anyone's primary machine. Having said that, it totally depends on your requirements. If you want a small lightweight laptop, primarily use it for email, web surfing and some basic office stuff, and possibly some iPhoto and iTunes, I am sure the 11" will suffice. If you absolutely need to work with all of the above applications at the same time you'd be pretty daft to get the 11". If you also require peripherals, lots of storage and CS5 and FCP, then you deserve what you get if you shell out for the small Air.

In other words my primary machine might be your Super Computer and likewise your primary machine may be my pocket calculator. Its relative.
  • Reply 12 of 75
    GeekBench illustrates how irrelevant traditional benchmark scores are. Most folks are more interested in real world numbers like app launch and OS boot times, importing photos and videos, encoding video to H.264, and frame rate for popular games.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

There's objective performance measurements (CPU speed, etc) and then there's perceived performance. My experience playing with both Airs at the Apple Store, as well as reviews, tell me that the flash ram more than makes up for the CPU differences.

The damned thing just FEELS fast, and frankly that's all that matters to me, particularly if I need its other features (e.g. ultra-light portability.)

But as much as I drool over this thing, I just don't need it for my own use cases.

An iMac at home and an iPhone in my pocket, and when necessary, an iPad in my bag, and I have yet to find a situation where I'm wanting.

I think they've filled the niches pretty completely now.

You've got it right. Benchmark scores don't necessarily translate well to the experience of using a device. I have been using the 11.6" Air for a few days now, and have sold my MBP and iPad, and have not regretted it yet. It is quite liberating to forget about specs and just use the machine as the tool that it is!
  • Reply 14 of 75
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I think that the upticks in processor speed recently have been of more interest to computerphiles, in the same way that audiophiles are obsessed with characteristics beyond the reach of the human ear.

i.e., processor speed has largely gotten to be a "mine's bigger than yours" issue.

Irrelevant for the vast majority of real world users.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

You've got it right. Benchmark scores don't necessarily translate well to the experience of using a device. I have been using the 11.6" Air for a few days now, and have sold my MBP and iPad, and have not regretted it yet. It is quite liberating to forget about specs and just use the machine as the tool that it is!

You sold an iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 75
    Macbook PRO machines are not "consumer level machines" really. They are supposed to be aimed at the PRO marketplace.

The Macbook AIR models should not so much be compared with the PRO models as they should the regular Macbook models.

If anything, all this comparison does is highlight that the Macbook PRO models are in need of a product refresh...

How do they compare to the Macbook?
  • Reply 17 of 75
    Quote:

Probably a better way of comparing them is:

iPad runs iOS4, MBA runs Mac OS X 10.6

MBA is 4.5 TIMES faster than iPad

C'mon everyone. The MBA is a Mac, and the iPad is a very different animal altogether.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    "... and may be more appropriately categorized as a larger, faster iPad".

Except that the Macbook Air not a tablet, has no touch interface, can't be held like a tablet, doesn't operate like a tablet, doesn't look like a tablet and is not an iPad. Other than that, it's a faster iPad I guess.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

The report emphasizes, however, that Geekbench only measures processor and memory performance, leaving out what is expected to be significant overall performance improvements over earlier generations due to the use of the NVIDIA GeForce 320M video card and flash storage across all models.

No offense to Geekbench, but i would like to see Flash drive and video card benchmarks, too.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

"... and may be more appropriately categorized as a larger, faster iPad".

Except that the Macbook Air not a tablet, has no touch interface, can't be held like a tablet, doesn't operate like a tablet, doesn't look like a tablet and is not an iPad. Other than that, it's a faster iPad I guess.

:-) Its really a lighter and faster PowerBook 100