Leaked photos detail Sony's Android-powered 'PlayStation Phone'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Leaked photos of a prototype device suggest that Sony could be planning to take on Apple's iPhone with a new Google Android-powered "PlayStation Phone," combining the company's PlayStation Portable platform with a smartphone.

Pictures and details obtained by Engadget this week show a device made by Sony Ericsson with slide-out physical controls, much like Sony's PSP Go gaming device. The device, referred to in the report as the "PlayStation Phone," has the same button layout as Sony's other PlayStation-branded devices.

The prototype device reportedly has a 1GHz Qualcomm chip, 512MB of RAM, 1GB of internal storage, and a screen between 3.7 inches and 4.1 inches in size. The slide-out controls for gaming also include a touchpad that is said to be multi-touch.

The report said the device, said to be running Google's "Gingerbread" Android 3.0, is expected to hit the market soon. It will also allegedly have a custom Sony Marketplace, much like Apple's App Store, that will allow users to purchase and download games.

After some doubt over the pictures surfaced, Engadget issued another report to reaffirm its confidence that the scoop is legitimate. Editor Joshua Topolsky said the device -- known by the codename "Zeus" -- was "confirmed through multiple, trusted sources."

The popularity of games on Apple's iPhone and other devices powered by iOS has had a significant impact on sales of portable gaming devices like Sony's PlayStation Portable. Earlier this year, a report indicated that iOS had carved out a 19 percent share of profits in the portable gaming market, eclipsing Sony's PSP, which was said to be at 11 percent.

In 2009, Sony sought to fend off the iPhone and its low-priced digital App Store downloads with the release of the PSP Go, a revised version of the PlayStation Portable that ditched physical media, requiring users to download software directly to the device. The PSP Go, however, has failed to make a splash in the portable gaming market a year after its launch.

This week's leaked information would suggest that Sony is looking to integrate the PlayStation Portable platform, and the digital download service introduced with the PSP Go, to its line of Sony Ericsson smartphones. And the leaked information indicates that Sony plans to partner with Google to have its Android mobile operating system power those devices.

If real, Sony's PlayStation Phone has one key distinction that would separate it from Apple's iOS devices: physical buttons. While casual games have found great success on Apple's portable devices, many traditional gamers have expressed frustration with the lack of buttons on Apple's device, making it difficult to provide players with tactile feedback via only a touchscreen. And while many other Android-powered devices have buttons in the form of a keyboard, Sony's prototype device has PSP controls specifically meant for gaming.

A recent survey found there are more than 40 million iOS gamers in the U.S., playing titles on devices like the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Apple has also expanded its support for gamers and game developers with the launch of Game Center, its own social networking and connectivity service for iOS titles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    God help us.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    PSP2 is on the way.

It's not clear where this device fits with that.

C.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    This device is hideous. Looks like they superglued an android phone with a nintendo controller. I'm hoping if they expect a shot at some decent success, they will certainly polish this up a bit.

Sony (to me) has always been known for making great gadgets but crippled by crappy software and DRM. With them considering Android, at least it takes Sony out of the OS side which is a plus.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Guys, it's a prototype.

If the iPhone didn't exist then this would be interesting, but as it does this all seems too little too late. Sony should have had this thing out a year or two ago, if Android was ready. Sony should stick to what they do best, Playstation.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Phones are for texting your grandma and calling your girl, not for big boy games.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    Only 17 buttons?!

Sony's learning!
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Sony + Android = "Prepare for Failure"
  • Reply 8 of 58
    I especially like how "Emergency Calls Only" and "No SIM Card?" are printed right on top of each other in the first picture.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    veblenveblen Posts: 201member
    The little kid in me yearns for a phone like this. I don't know how I'd relate to it in practical terms as an adult though. I can see a niche for a phone like this but I can't see mass market appeal. I can't see many adults wanting to carry around a gaming centric device like this.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    This thing is going nowhere, unless from now on all Android phone comes with all those extra buttons.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Guys, it's a prototype.

If the iPhone didn't exist then this would be interesting, but as it does this all seems too little too late. Sony should have had this thing out a year or two ago, if Android was ready. Sony should stick to what they do best, Playstation.

If it can run full PSP games, it is a big deal. Even now, a PSP phone would have instant recognition and be viewed by many as a superior gaming phone.

I'm sure Sony will mess it up though. First of all, when is the PSP2 going to show up? The PSP2 could very well make this seem like a second rate device. One Sony product undermining the other... I can see that happening. Secondly, where are the joysticks? Apparently that center area is a capacitive touch pad. Are the joysticks on there? If they are, isn't that an admission that capacitive joysticks are just fine?

That said, I think Apple should develop a gamepad design for the iPhone and Apple TV (that they could build and/or license to third parties), along with an API giving developers access to the controllers features.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    This is the number one thing I think Apple would be interested in Sony for. I've been playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater on the iPhone and the touchscreen button layout is aggravating. It's still fun, but would be way better with buttons.

The iPhone as a concept means there'll probably never be a model with buttons like this, it goes against the whole design idea, but for a lot of people it's awesome and serves as a criticism of iPhone that holds water.

If Apple bought the Playstation division that could have some big upsides for Apple. Give them a gaming platform in a crowded market that won't likely support another console (casual or otherwise), and keep Android from locking in all these gamers. They could do wonders with the PS3's interface as well, and maybe stick AppleTV or iTunes rentals in it through a firmware update. That's all of course IF they could actually buy it from Sony, which I don't know, but the Wii was the hit this cycle and the PSP is only doing so-so.

Say what you will fellow Apple fans, but this PSP phone is a threat to iPhone dominance. Buy whatever game you want on the go, wirelessly, on a whim. That's awesome. I'd hope Steve wouldn't kill it, and I doubt he'd make an iOS PSP phone, regardless of what he'd do, this would be a real good thing to buy from Sony before it becomes a hit for Android. And it will.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    I love the idea! But as others have pointed out, a bit too late. Sony and Nintendo have already lost marketshare and it is going to be really tough to make it up.

I can see this being marketed as a pay as you go phone...not a contract. This way, parents can purchase the phone/system for their kids but not be tied into monthly contracts.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    This will appeal to gamers especially PS gamers out there. And that's about it..
  • Reply 15 of 58
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Say what you will fellow Apple fans, but this PSP phone is a threat to iPhone dominance.

How many PSP's does Sony sell each year?

Clue : (iPhones + iPod Touch) x 10/100
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

This is the number one thing I think Apple would be interested in Sony for. I've been playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater on the iPhone and the touchscreen button layout is aggravating. It's still fun, but would be way better with buttons. ...

I don't see how this makes any sense at all. Apple already has a big presence in the gaming community, just not in the part of that community you like. iOS games are huge, and Sony PSP is shrinking in the marketplace last time I checked. The only thing shrinking faster is Nintendo DS.

Overall I don't get this phone/PSP strategy at all. If the PSP games are going to be playable on an Android phone, they will of course simply be ripped off and played on *other* Android phones (even if a bit of hacking is required), so success in this market won't necessarily translate to sales of the PSP phone.

At the end of the day Sony will have released all their key games into the "free" market, but the PSP phone sales won't justify it's existence. Android gets a big boost and Sony shoots itself in the foot.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    They'll sell a THOUSAND of 'em! WAHOO!!!
  • Reply 18 of 58
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

This thing is going nowhere, unless from now on all Android phone comes with all those extra buttons.

Nowhere except through the roof!

You kidding me, how many KIDS will be asking for this for Xmas ? More then adults have iPhones. And I'm sure Sony could care less where the money comes from, as long as it's good money.

If this comes out before the holidays, this WILL be a success, sorry Apple fans (of which I'm one).

Skip
  • Reply 19 of 58
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Set sail for fail.
  • Reply 20 of 58

My 11-year-old grandson saw the picture and, immediately, knew it was a PSP.

He was interested!

He didn't realize it was a phone, too.

He has a gen 1 iPhone (SIMLess) as a PGP substitute -- we gave him the choice for his last birthday: $150 plus a few $30 games vs $0 plus $100 worth of games (shared among 7 iPhones and 2 iPads)

He has about 6 GB of games on the iPhone.

If the article is correct, and this device is limited to 1 GB storage, then it's a pretty sad attempt -- even if it allows SD cards.

Now, if Sony were to increase the storage, drop the cell radio (and carrier plan) -- then they might have a reasonable iPod Touch competitor.